U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,371 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single male in my early 30s, I currently live in San Diego, but I'm planning to take a temporary position (6 months up in Oakland). I'm looking for a Studio or 1 bedroom for less that 1,000 a month.

I will like to take public transportation (herd BART is pretty good) or bike to my job (don't want to commute more than 30 min.)

Which areas should I be looking into? I'm not familiar with the Bay area.

Regards,

Isma

P.S. I live close to Balboa Park in SD, so I'm looking for an uptown vibe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,954,975 times
Where in Oakland is your job? Oakland can go from good to very bad in just a few blocks. You may want to look in the Rockridge area. There is the Rockridge Bart station too.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:50 AM

205 posts, read 372,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isma View Post
Hi,

I'm a single male in my early 30s, I currently live in San Diego, but I'm planning to take a temporary position (6 months up in Oakland). I'm looking for a Studio or 1 bedroom for less that 1,000 a month.

I will like to take public transportation (herd BART is pretty good) or bike to my job (don't want to commute more than 30 min.)

Which areas should I be looking into? I'm not familiar with the Bay area.

Regards,

Isma

P.S. I live close to Balboa Park in SD, so I'm looking for an uptown vibe.

I relocated from San Diego about 9 years ago. Best thing I ever did as far as living in a nice community.
(Not knocking SD, just prefer it here).
1,000 is not a lot of money for rent ... If you are lucky you might find a studio in the Lake Merritt district.
You will love the Lake. The neighborhood is very diverse, eclectic and walkable ( some hills).
There is a property management company that has many rentals in the lake area. It is Lapham. Good luck with your move...and welcome !

THE LAPHAM COMPANY - Serving Bay Area Renters & Property Owners Since 1911

Old 01-23-2010, 09:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,231,373 times
Why not just live in Oakland? I've just moved there and am liking it very much.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM

12,922 posts, read 11,114,246 times
If were to move right now, I would live in Oakland, some by the lake if I could. Emeryville is also ok and has lots to do near the marketplace. There are stores, places to eat and a movie theater. Also there's a free shuttle, the Emery-Go-Round that takes you directly to the MacArthur BART station. It may be pricy now though, I'm not sure.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,250,520 times
I agree that you should consider living in Oakland. I just moved to an apartment near Lake Merritt and I when I was looking, there were a lot of studios and 1 bedrooms in Adams Point and the Lakeside Apartment District going for well under $1,000 (and they were pretty decent places too, frequently with parking included). Use craiglist.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM

634 posts, read 843,590 times
You should TOTALLY look in Oakland! Around the Lake there's so much going on. You could walk to catch a flick at the Grand Lake, the public library is right around the corner (two actually!), grab a book, sit on a bench, walk to a nice choice of restaurants on Lakeshore and Grand, have a cup of joe at The Coffee Mill, Trader Joe's and Safeway are not far, BART stations aren't too far away, but you can hop on a quick bus to get you there no problem. Sorry for the run on sentence.

I love Oakland! Miss her like mad! Do a little searching and see if you can't find something you might like instead of ending up in Alameda (not to knock Alameda). A previous poster mentioned Rockridge, which is also really nice, but it was just super yuppiefied for my tastes.

Suerte!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM

12,922 posts, read 11,114,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
You should TOTALLY look in Oakland! Around the Lake there's so much going on. You could walk to catch a flick at the Grand Lake, the public library is right around the corner (two actually!), grab a book, sit on a bench, walk to a nice choice of restaurants on Lakeshore and Grand, have a cup of joe at The Coffee Mill, Trader Joe's and Safeway are not far, BART stations aren't too far away, but you can hop on a quick bus to get you there no problem. Sorry for the run on sentence.

I love Oakland! Miss her like mad! Do a little searching and see if you can't find something you might like instead of ending up in Alameda (not to knock Alameda). A previous poster mentioned Rockridge, which is also really nice, but it was just super yuppiefied for my tastes.

Suerte!
Yep! If you can live around Lake Merritt, it's almost a steal as far as rents go. Whenever I return home, I stay by the lake and if I could live there now I would. Don't forget the farmers market on weekend by the Grand Lake Theater too.

Ok yeah, I need to go back.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM

634 posts, read 843,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yep! If you can live around Lake Merritt, it's almost a steal as far as rents go. Whenever I return home, I stay by the lake and if I could live there now I would. Don't forget the farmers market on weekend by the Grand Lake Theater too.

Ok yeah, I need to go back.

I LOVE that farmer's market! Loved to grab a plate, some bubble tea, sit down, listen to music, and people watch. Yeah, I wish I could go back too.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,813,347 times
I live in both Emeryville and also in San Diego (few months at a time in each), and I like Emeryville because it's clean, has great access to SF (by car) and tons of shopping and movie theaters, but it's definitely NOT an Uptown SD vibe, more like Mission Valley-meets-East Village. Kind of quiet, kind of suburban, car-oriented, but also hip and warehousy. Lake Merritt is cool, feels more like Silverlake or something to me than SD, but good places to hang out and a great Farmer's Market. Lots of housing stock in all price ranges, and close to the freeway. The lake is a fantastic place to go running, boating, have drinks by the water, etc., so a mini Balboa Park sort of amenity to have.

Rockridge is a bit more upscale, but smaller, and has a more South Park sort of vibe, with a lot of old craftsmen homes and tree lined streets. Not quite as urban. A little European even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland