Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 48,507 times

Advertisements

My career is relocating us to Walnut Creek from Century City. I have a wife and a 2 yo. Can someone please tell me what Alamo, CA is like? I have visited that area a couple times and it seems like the homes there are nice for the area.

Are there many families with children living there? What are the people like who live there? Are there good restaurants and things to do? My wife has never lived in a small town before. She is very creative, enjoys fundraising, fashion, and the arts. Will she have issues adjusting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Alamo is a pretty idealic small town. It is very beautiful there, with rolling hills and a lot of Oak trees. Very affluent homes there. I'm not sure how many younger families are there. Most would be priced out of the market. As for the residents I would imagine an older crowd that have lived there for a long time.

Not a whole lot of restaurants there. Most of the people head into Danville, Blackhawk or Walnut Creek to dine out or go shopping. All the above cities are very close to Alamo. Only a few miles to get from one city to another. I don't think that your wife would have a tough time there, because it is not isolated as many other small towns.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Alamo is one of the richest cities in the state. The median household income in Alamo tops that of Malibu but in true NorCal fashion, most people in Alamo are incredibly modest about their wealth.

I like the rural aspect of Alamo. Its just as locals want it.

Even more desirable is the fact that despite being quiet, Alamo is right next to Walnut Creek, which has a very vibrant restaurant and shopping scene-and a respectable arts scene.

Furthermore, being near Walnut Creek gives you the option of BART into San Francisco-its incredibly convenient.

Also, Lafayette is another top shelf town you might like. Heck, you might as well consider Orinda too, which is just over the hill from the urban core of the Bay Area but is removed(still very easy commute to WC) and I have found Orinda to have quite an intellectual community.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 48,507 times
I have considered those areas too. While beautiful in their own way, they are very rural,hilly, dark, and overgrown in appearance which causes an alarm for me if there was a fire. It seems like you would get trapped in many areas.

A lot of the housing also looks to be in worse condition than Alamo. A real estate agent told me the area is built on clay so the houses "breathe" as the weather changes, and thats why many homes have foundation issues, cracks in the walls etc. We looked at 3 remodeled properties and discovered the cracks in all 3, which sounds like more trouble that its worth. I do, however, like the closer proximity to the dining and shopping options we will enjoy in San Francisco though so it is a tough call. It appears Orinda and Alamo lack shopping and dining options so one must travel out of the area to do these things?

I've checked the schools and both areas are ranked high so that isn't an issue. Is one area more family friendly over the other?

My wife would like to know if many women under 45-50 in these areas get involved in fundraising, charity, or the arts? She also paints and enjoys fashion, and would like to know if there are many creative people living in the area, and how to find them...along with art studios?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Well, have you considered living in Piedmont? Your wife especially sounds like she would love it. The schools are among the top in the state, its not rural but is very very safe, its also surrounded by excellent restaurants and tons of local stores(I love local designers) and a thriving arts scene. You won't feel like your in the middle of nowhere either and your even closer to SF. The drive to Walnut Creek would take about 20 mins in the morning and 20 more to drive home at night.

Just a suggestion.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Piedmont is indeed a great suggestion. You should definitely check out the city website and the real estate listings around there. As far as Lamorinda vs. Alamo, I'd also go for Alamo. Lamorinda housing stock is older, like you said, and it takes a while to get into neighborhoods on the windy, dark roads. Alamo is closer to major infrastructure, but a bit farther from SF. FYI, there are also some very nice parts of Walnut Creek proper, as you get into the edges of town either just south of downtown or east towards Mount Diablo. Still, if your wife wants to be involved in charities, then you might prefer Alamo/Blackhawk and Piedmont. Have you looked into Blackhawk? What's your budget?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Alamo is sort of like Calabasas; cheaper, newer houses; hot and smoggy; nothing in way of edible dining or upscale amenities; tolerable public schools (prob better than Calabasas); locals are either Chevron execs or small business owners (too distant from Silicon Valley tech HQs or SF FinDt)

Orinda has perhaps better public schools than Alamo but same NwptCoast/Calabasas-like lack of amenities and distance from civilization

Piedmont's issue is too close to Oakland...many w/money prefer to have a mtn or Bay/bridges btwn them and Oakland or EastBay generally....LA's early '90s riots made people in BevHills nervous about proximity to slums vs those in Brentwood/Palisades...and today's economy makes risk of unrest higher than in past 20yrs of relative calm...

Will prob be much happier renting a new condo in SF's Soma until kid needs to attend school (unless can easily afford pvt schools in City); wife will likely detest EastBay if accustomed to LA's Westside...commute to WC from SF is easy as it's the reverse, upscale commute (fwys in SF region flow much faster than those in LA; EastBay is worst traffic of SF region; Peninsula/SV fwys are some of fastest in world)

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM

334 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Your wife will be in culture shock initially because the bay area is so different from LA. Alamo is a very nice area...HSW is correct. It is probably most similar to Calabasas as far as being a nice, upscale suburb with large homes, some with views and large lots, but does not get the smog he suggests. There is mature landscaping here, some palm trees, and it is more manicured looking so will give you more of a so cal feeling. Also similar to upscale So. OC, but much better public schools.
The Lamorinda area is more rural. I cannot think of any area in So Cal that looks like Lamorinda. My brother has a business in Calabasas and the shopping center is somewhat similar to Blackhawk Plaza up here.

I never meet transplants from LA/So Cal here either, which is very strange. Most people who relocate to the east bay come from other parts of the bay area, grew up in the area then come back, midwest, or foreign countries. To be honest, its not a very welcoming area to newcomers. You definitely have to make an big effort here to meet people, as many already have their friends and social networks established. Your wife will likely meet people through your childrens schools/activities, and she will have to make the "first move" so to speak.

Women in this part of the bay area are not very into fashion or the arts that I have noticed. It is extremely conservative and understated here. I can't compare any place in the east bay area culturally to any place in Los Angeles, or So Cal....especially westside LA. Not too sure where she would find ways into that world out here. I think the only people involved in charities here are the old guard from San Francisco. I never hear people talking about fundraising, arts, or charity events here in the east bay.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Alamo Estimated median household income in 2008: $169,280
Piedmont Estimated median household income in 2008: $168,947

piedmont is 20 minutes from downtown sf if you like to be close that kind of place (opera,symphony,ballet,museums,fine dining etc.)

Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM

104 posts, read 725,541 times
My in-laws live in Alamo. There is the 'town' area, where there are newer developments and gated communities. More Danville-ish. My in-laws live on the Walnut Creek side, and it's more rural. They live on .5+ acre, have a private drive that they share with only one other residence.

Alamo is served by more than one public school district. Most of it is served by San Ramon Valley Unified, but there is a portion that is served by Walnut Creek Elementary School District and Acalanes Union High School District. Both are reputable districts, and the schools that serve those areas are probably similar.

The unincorporated area of Walnut Creek that borders Alamo is nearly the same in it's character, i.e., rural and not cookie-cutter. Look around Tice Valley Blvd and Castle Hill Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland