Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

I saw Greg Kihn with Pearl Harbor and The Explosions at the Keystone in Berkeley, and went to the Mabuhay once, but can't remember who I saw there. I wasn't much into the music scene but a friend of mine was..and she would just drag me around with her. LOL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM

386 posts, read 797,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Iggy Pop at the Berkeley Square must have been some show! The place must only hold a couple hundred people at most. Up close and personal!
I stand corrected, it was at the Berkeley Keystone not the Square. Tiny place with low ceilings and LOUD. I did a google seach and it was in December 1983.

I saw him twice. But I don't remember where the other venue was. Perhaps the same place a year later?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,798 times
Jerry Garcia Band at the Keystone Berkeley
Alvin Lee and Ten Years Later (After?) at the Keystone Berleley, power trio that must be second only to the Experience, amazing night.
Tower Of Power at the Paramount
Andres Segovia at the Masonic, shuffling out, ancient, then after his first piece the crowd in a full 5 seconds of stunned awe before bursting into applause
Peter Tosh at the Old Waldorf, fattie wedged into the head of his guitar, so soulful and charismatic and an underrated guitar player.
Toots and the Maytals also at the OW, reaching out to shake hands with the audience, the best voice known to man.
Bob Marley and the Wailers at the Greek, everyone singing ah yo yo yo call and response on the way out.
Rick Danko at the Keystone S.F. I loved that guy
Levon Helm and the Band, RIP Levon, this amazing group, still with Richard Manuel, Garth and Danko, at the Paramount and I took my Mom
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, around 1981, at a little blues club on Shattuck and 51st in Oakland, what was the name of that place? They were wailing.
Little Richard and Ruth Brown at the S.F. Blues Festival 2006, I miss that great Festival.
Robert Hunter on his 40th B-Day at the Boarding House on Columbus. He told the crowd that his Mom said "Don't tell them you're 40 Robert, they won't like you anymore" classic.
Grateful Dead at the Oakland Auditorium. Staying late in the building after the show, quietly with scattered other tripping deadheads, a nice worker cleaning up told us, "um, you people have to go home now"
Cool thread thanks for posting everyone.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM

330 posts, read 749,593 times
Speaking of Levon Helm, I don't suppose anyone saw The Band show that ended up being The Last Waltz ? That would be pretty cool to say you were there for that.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
I punked out at the various Stones, the Fab Mab, the ChiChi Club and numerous others.

Oi, oi, oi!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,828 times
i remember the Philmore East, Philmore West, all the disco clubs especially the City Disco on Montgomery street. Oh my god the tales I could tell. The Hungry I, Broadway and on and on. Those were the days my friend, I thought would never end...

Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,292 times
My memory is a bit foggy...You know, it was the eighties.

The Warfield
U2 (They were youngins, and so was I.)
The Go-Gos
Talking Heads w/ The English Beat (Excellent Show)
The Ramones

Old Waldorf
Ike and Tina
James Brown

Civic Center
The Kinks

And I too saw Iggy Pop in Berkeley and I met him back stage. He kinda flirted with me. I'm sure he flirted with everyone though....I also saw The Knack somewhere in Berkeley too...loved, loved, loved them.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I just want to hear any memories or stories about the old Bay Area club scene. Like from the Keystone Berkeley, or the Stone in San Francisco. Anyone remember the Old Waldorf. What about the Mabuhay Gardens or the Berkeley Square?

I remember seeing the Greg Kihn Band headlining a show at the Old Waldorf with Silvertone (Chris Issac) as the opening act. I thought I could be watching the new Elvis. I was so blown away by Chris Issac's voice.

Anyone remember Pyno Jam at the Keystone Berkeley on Mondays for a buck? Members of different bands like the Rubinoos getting together on the same stage to play.

What do you remember from those days?
Saw the Avengers and Yesterday and Today at the Mabuhay

Head-on at the Old Waldorf and Jetboy at the Stone.

Used to go to Clown Alley to eat after the Mabuhay shows.

Anyone remember "Earls" a night club with dancing not far from the Mabuhay?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
The Doobies played the Greek Theatre at Cal back in the 70s. It was recorded and shown on TV.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,292 times
Earl's is ringing a bell.

I honestly don't know if my memory is foggy because of the "fun I partook in" or advancing age.

Probably both. ::Sigh::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland