U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,939,673 times

Advertisements

I just want to hear any memories or stories about the old Bay Area club scene. Like from the Keystone Berkeley, or the Stone in San Francisco. Anyone remember the Old Waldorf. What about the Mabuhay Gardens or the Berkeley Square?

I remember seeing the Greg Kihn Band headlining a show at the Old Waldorf with Silvertone (Chris Issac) as the opening act. I thought I could be watching the new Elvis. I was so blown away by Chris Issac's voice.

Anyone remember Pyno Jam at the Keystone Berkeley on Mondays for a buck? Members of different bands like the Rubinoos getting together on the same stage to play.

What do you remember from those days?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,821,275 times
Tower of Power playing a bowling alley in San Jose.

Black Sabbath at the Filmore.

Bob Marley and the Wailers in the Greek Theatre, Berkeley. Best show evah.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Tower of Power playing a bowling alley in San Jose.

Black Sabbath at the Filmore.

Bob Marley and the Wailers in the Greek Theatre, Berkeley. Best show evah.
Tower of Power is a great group. They don't get enough credit for their music.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM

3,966 posts, read 8,165,600 times
Well, I'm not quite old enough to have been able to go to the Old Waldorf or Mabuhay...but I definitely used to go to the Berkeley Square..and also Gilman St to see all the punk/new wave bands..Uk Subs, Clan of Xymox, L7, Mr T Experience, etc...

I also used to go the the Fillmore prior to the closure over the earthquake for Skinny Puppy, Ministry, The Proclaimers, and Shane MacGowan (after getting fired from the Pogues)..he only played off and on for half hour though since he was so drunk! I also saw the Pogues (I think at the Warfield) when Joe Strummer took over.

Hmmm...I also saw U2/Pretenders at the Oakland Coliseum...kinda scary actually with tens of thousands of people pushing their way forward..thought I would get trampled! Swore I'd never go to another huge general admission concert again! I also saw Oingo Boingo at Great America..yes, they actually had concerts there!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Well, I'm not quite old enough to have been able to go to the Old Waldorf or Mabuhay...but I definitely used to go to the Berkeley Square..and also Gilman St to see all the punk/new wave bands..Uk Subs, Clan of Xymox, L7, Mr T Experience, etc...

I also used to go the the Fillmore prior to the closure over the earthquake for Skinny Puppy, Ministry, The Proclaimers, and Shane MacGowan (after getting fired from the Pogues)..he only played off and on for half hour though since he was so drunk! I also saw the Pogues (I think at the Warfield) when Joe Strummer took over.

Hmmm...I also saw U2/Pretenders at the Oakland Coliseum...kinda scary actually with tens of thousands of people pushing their way forward..thought I would get trampled! Swore I'd never go to another huge general admission concert again! I also saw Oingo Boingo at Great America..yes, they actually had concerts there!
Great. I actually saw Oingo Boingo at the Keystone Berkeley! Crazy show!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Yeah, you know those little glow in the dark bracelets that are filled with oozy liquid? Everyone at this particular concert had 'em and were opening them up and flinging the stuff all over everyone! (Of course I managed to get hit with this goo in my eye- ouch!) Ah, the memories!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM

386 posts, read 722,543 times
I've never been much of a live music fan. Here's what I can remember seeing in the Bay Area:

Youngbloods playing in a park in Berkeley 1970's
Dead Kennedys at the Mabuhay 1980's
Iggy Pop at Berkeley Square? (really low ceiling) 1980's
Tubes annual New Years Eve concerts at the Kabuki 1980's
David Bowie / Tin Machine at the Warfield 1990's
Jeff Beck at the Warfield 2000's

Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
I've never been much of a live music fan. Here's what I can remember seeing in the Bay Area:

Iggy Pop at the Berkeley Square must have been some show! The place must only hold a couple hundred people at most. Up close and personal!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post

Oh, the Dead Kennedys...I'm so jealous! I was such a huge fan, but too young to see them play live! (I have the concert on an old videotape though!)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Joe Satriani the famous guitar player used to play the clubs in a power pop band called The Squares. I saw them quite a few times at the Keystone Berkeley. Very different music than he plays today, but when he did have a solo it was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland