Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Oh wow....yes, exactly. I grew up in Eastern Europe, big city--strangers smiling at you meant no good was coming your way...
This isn't Eastern Europe, so it's OK to smile. OTOH, frowning people are a disturbed bunch. One can go see this in the Tenderloin, day or night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,943,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
This isn't Eastern Europe, so it's OK to smile. OTOH, frowning people are a disturbed bunch. One can go see this in the Tenderloin, day or night.
Sorry, I don't want strangers to smile at me, or look at me. They should mind own business. Eastern Europe or US. Only I decide what interaction is OK towards ME, so don't comment on my immigrant background please or lecture me which interaction I should enjoy. Thank you.
I can not legally prohibit anyone to smile at me on the streets--but I am not going to respond to this (unless this becomes clear harassment, in this case I have my own ways to deal with the situation)--but smiling people shouldn't complaint they get ignored, sorry. It was their choice to initiate this interaction and they should accept its consequences. Also, someone who smiles at strangers is very clearly a drug user. So..no it's not Bumpkinsville, North Redneckia and it's not ok to smile. Ain't Walmart cashiers either.

"We loooove to see you smile..."

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-04-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't want strangers to smile at me, or look at me. They should mind own business. Eastern Europe or US. Only I decide what interaction is OK towards ME, so don't comment on my immigrant background please or lecture me which interaction I should enjoy. Thank you.
I can not legally prohibit anyone to smile at me on the streets--but I am not going to respond to this (unless this becomes clear harassment, in this case I have my own ways to deal with the situation)--but smiling people shouldn't complaint they get ignored, sorry.
Makes for a rather bleak, unfriendly landscape, no? If everybody walked around angry with a "They should mind own business" attitude, would anybody recommend visiting such a place?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,943,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Makes for a rather bleak, unfriendly landscape, no? If everybody walked around angry with a "They should mind own business" attitude, would anybody recommend visiting such a place?
Who cares....recommend, visit or not. Really, who does...
Fake bake, plastic smiles

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Who cares....recommend, visit or not. Really, who does...
Fake bake, plastic smiles
Some people genuinely enjoy the place, and therefore might sport a grin in their travels about the town. Visiting is a paramount segment of SF's economy, so a relatively pleased citizenry would count as a positive for those considering a visit or a move.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM

425 posts, read 956,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes it is, people in SF smile 10x more than those in NYC (I lived there).
Also in NYC your more likely to get a good stare down for smiling at someone "too long" as well.

SF Bashing attempt gauge: .5/10.
born and raised New Yorker here, and this statement is 97% true, the other 3% would not stare you down, they would do a bit more then just stare you down.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
I come to SF once a year, and I'm here now. Overall, most people are super nice and return a smile.

Went to Crissy Field yesterday to watch Blue Angels, made friends with the couple next to us, played with their two adorable kids, made friends with the next couple and their daughter, guy with great camera rig to time to show us his pictures....

I took public transportation last time I was here, and met all kinds of nice people.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,002,513 times
Probably their Muni bus drove by for the fifth time without stopping because it was too crowded and their bart ride was delayed because (track maintenance/out of order door/someone held open the door/something electrical) and they realized they're paying a 50% premium to live in an area full of pooped up escalators.

I'm just spitballing here after having spent a few more months

Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Default Why Doesn't SF Smile?

Meth mouth!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,976,804 times
The smiles are vertical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland