Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 32,533 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job at UCSF Medical Center (Parnassus). I will be moving up there with my boyfriend and we want to avoid living in the city (with poor parking/driving options and the stress of a fast-pace). I'm looking for the best place to live outside of the city that still is enjoyable (good coffee shops, independent move theatres close by, etc.) I want to avoid an incredibly long commute. I figure I'll be a doing a BART/MUNI commute unless commuting from North Bay isn't as bad or as long as it seems. Also, I'm not huge on a big driving commute and paying for parking once I'm in the city (UCSF tells me parking for employees is like $30 a day ). So, where's the best option between North, South, and East Bay that is still fun to live with a decent commute? PS-Is Berkeley more than a college town (ie-not overun with the 18-22 age demographic)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
Have you looked into neighborhoods in SF? It's not terribly city-like in the mid to outer Sunset which would be a very simple commute for you on the N-Judah Muni train. It's kind of sleepy out there.

North Bay commute isn't as bad as most people will say, but it's the parking issue that is really the pits. You could take Golden Gate Transit, but then you'd still have to do Muni to get to the Parnassus campus.
It adds $$$$ up quickly.
Same hassle as the East bay since you'll have to do BART and then Muni just to get to the Parnassus campus.
Berkeley is not so much of the 18-22 demographic the further away from the campus that you get, (stay away from College ave.)
I lived in Berkeley for many years. I don't miss it one bit personally, it has a lot of the urban grime,yuck etc, and not as much charm as other places within the SF city limits.
I have no info on the South Bay, mostly because I can't stand it and could never live down that way, it's too congested for me, and again you'll be dealing with the parking issues.

I would stick within the city limits for the ease of use personally.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,507,302 times
UCSF Parnassus is somewhat of a difficult campus to get to from BART. UCSF runs an extensive shuttle system in the city that is very efficient and timely (University of California, San Francisco | Campus Life Services | Transportation | UCSF Shuttle Bus Services) but to get to Parnassus from BART stop at 16th & Mission you will need to change the shuttle twice! So it will be slow. Alternately, you can connect to N-Judah from BART anywhere on Market street. The parking is notoriously bad in Parnassus area but if you get UCSF permit (there will be a waitlist) it will cost ~$120/month.

As the other poster suggested Inner/Outer Sunset in SF will be great option but you will have to put up with city living and bad weather. But the great advantage is you will be able to walk to UCSF and enjoy all the scenery and natural attractions of SF beaches, Golden gate park etc.

Parnassus is not close to highways and street network around the area is very slow! So unless you have tolerance for commute or absolutely need to live outside the city, I strongly suggest looking into the Sunset district of SF.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,507,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I lived in Berkeley for many years. I don't miss it one bit personally, it has a lot of the urban grime,yuck etc, and not as much charm as other places within the SF city limits.
I have no info on the South Bay, mostly because I can't stand it and could never live down that way, it's too congested for me, and again you'll be dealing with the parking issues.
Well SF has about 1000 times more urban grime than Berkeley. Except for university avenue and parts of Berkeley close to the bay, the city is actually very nice and more user-friendly than SF.

South bay is congested with parking problems?? Dude, south bay is the suburbia and its just like any other suburb in US. You don't even to look for a parking spot other than few congested parts of San Jose. SF probably has the worst parking problem of any major city in the US because unlike other densely populated cities like NYC/Boston you actually need a car in many SF neighborhoods.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,254,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrn View Post
So, where's the best option between North, South, and East Bay that is still fun to live with a decent commute? PS-Is Berkeley more than a college town (ie-not overun with the 18-22 age demographic)?
I think the best suburban option is living somewhere on the Peninsula and taking Bart from either Millbrae,South SF,San Bruno,Colma or Daly City.

Get off at Glen Park Station and take the 44 bus to 9th & Judah. From there either hop on the N car or 43 bus to the campus(whichever comes first) or walk 5 blocks. The alternates are taking the 43 bus from the Balboa Park Bart station or taking the Bart to Civic Center and taking the outbound N car.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/44.pdf

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/43.pdf

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 32,533 times
now i'm terrified of the commute! what do you think the best and average commute times would be for living outside the city vs. living in the city?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM

147 posts, read 470,118 times
Live in the city like others have said. Inner/outer sunset or the neighborhoods below Twin Peaks. You will be very near to Golden Gate park. Living around UCSF is not like living downtown or in New York or Boston etc. Trees everywhere. Glen Park might be a great alternative. One bus ride away from UCSF. Living in Glen Park is not oppressively urban. It is like living in a smallish town in the city. The problem with trying to live out of the city and commuting in is that it is no cheaper. There really is no benefit other than if you have school age children and don't want to mess with the city school assignments. Why commute an hour+ each way if you don't have to?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,400,676 times
I just relocated here from Texas and I chose to live in the Peninsula for several reasons. My job is in the city 13 miles exactly from where I live. I take 101 to and from work and 25-30 minutes is all I spend on the road commuting. I leave for work at 7:20 and arrive at 7:50. I leave work at 4:30 and am home by 5:00. I heard the commute would be horrible but I am from the 4th largest city in the US and this commute is NOTHING compared to what you would see in Houston, TX. You can find parking in the city on craigslist under storage and parking. Several people offer a garage or their assigned parking space any where from 75-150/month. The parking situation is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my entire life for any city! My co-workers run out every 2 hours to move their cars to avoid a ticket. I can't imagine spending that amount of energy to run out and move my car every 2 hours. Ridiculous! I pay 100/month to park in the city to avoid the silliness of moving my car and worrying about finding a space to park.

I did not want to live in the city and I am very glad that I don't. When the city is foggy I will be in the sunshine at my home. Nothing against the city but I like having a yard and no attached walls and more space for the money with my own garage with washer and dryer hookups...etc. I am 5 minutes to the coast. I am close to highway one which is a great highway to ride a motorcycle along the coast. Some places in the Peninsula receive a lot of fog and little sunshine so beware of those places if sunshine is high on your list like it is on mine!

Keep looking and choose wisely!

Last edited by TVC15; 02-16-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Well SF has about 1000 times more urban grime than Berkeley. Except for university avenue and parts of Berkeley close to the bay, the city is actually very nice and more user-friendly than SF.

South bay is congested with parking problems?? Dude, south bay is the suburbia and its just like any other suburb in US. You don't even to look for a parking spot other than few congested parts of San Jose. SF probably has the worst parking problem of any major city in the US because unlike other densely populated cities like NYC/Boston you actually need a car in many SF neighborhoods.
Wow. What is your problem. You just moved to SF from texas and all of a sudden you're an expert?
You have never lived in Berkeley have you?
Let me know when you've lived in SF and Berkeley for a total of about oh, 16 years or so, and then get back to me on that would ya?

And no, I never said there were parking problems in the South Bay. Duh. Read it again, the parking issues I repeatedly refer to are in SF.

You haven't lived here very long and you haven't seen nothin' when it comes to parking issues....SF is nowhere near as bad off parking wise as it was in the late 90's.

And no you don't need a car to live in SF. Really. I should know as I have done it with and without a car in SF in various neighborhoods.
Sure some are more convenient than others, but nowhere is totally stranded within city limits, there is some sort of transpo. and of course there's always those new fangled things called feet.

And quit calling me 'dude'. it's creeping me out.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 PM

86 posts, read 245,515 times
If you choose to live in Marin County and have regular M-F work hours, you can ride one of the charter commute buses that go directly from various freeway bus pads in Marin to UCSF. Not sure of the cost but the buses are reliable and comfy, or you might find a vanpool that would meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland