U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,088,550 times
San Francisco is much sunnier\drier most of the year compared to Seattle or Portland [neither city is on the immediate coast like San Francisco btw]. In-fact San Francisco is warmer than Seattle every month of the year except a few summer months when coastal fogs basically sits over the California coastline. As others have pointed out San Jose [just 40 miles south of San Francisco] is more like LA with hazy warm afternoon & mild nights during summer. The rain season is sharply different between San Francisco & the PacificNW and the Central valley [just inland from the Bay Area] is a classic Mediterranean climate & nothing like the Puget Sound & Willamette valley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,784,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Read my above post plase LOL. Mediterranean isn't defined by temperature first of all, but by weather pattern in in that sense, SF is very Mediterranean. In fact, everywhere I look for the climate type for SF it says Mediterranean, it's pretty much unanimous LOL. Also the amount of sun SF gets depends on where you are. Most of the time I go to the city, the sun's out. If you're thinking San Francisco's climate is like Seattle's...um...no.
SF weather is unique. How do you incorporate the fog factor in Mediterrenean weather? Yes, it does not rain in SF in summer but it stays overcast and foggy most of the time. In fact sometimes the fog gets so thick it becomes drizzly and the streets get wet just like it would in light rain. From your definition, people might get the very misleading notion that SF is sunny when in does not rain but that is not the case at all. In fact the most irritating fact about SF weather is that it is barely ever sunny regardless of whether its raining or not.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
In-fact San Francisco is warmer than Seattle every month of the year except a few summer months when coastal fogs basically sits over the California coastline.
So Seattle actually has a summer and its warmer during summer. SF is more like 50 low 60 high all year long with 2 months of sunny weather.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
rah

3,097 posts, read 4,994,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
San Francisco weather is definitely not Mediterranean. How could you call it Mediterranean when there is barely any sun for large most of the year? It is cloudy and rainy for the entire winter with rarely any sunny day and then its very foggy for the summer and it can get thick fog anytime of the year. The temperature rarely goes above 65F. Bright and warm sun shine is very rare in SF.

But the overall non-coastal parts of bay area have great weather particularly in the south bay area.
Quote:
SF weather is unique. How do you incorporate the fog factor in Mediterrenean weather? Yes, it does not rain in SF in summer but it stays overcast and foggy most of the time. In fact sometimes the fog gets so thick it becomes drizzly and the streets get wet just like it would in light rain. From your definition, people might get the very misleading notion that SF is sunny when in does not rain but that is not the case at all. In fact the most irritating fact about SF weather is that it is barely ever sunny regardless of whether its raining or not.
SF is not nearly as foggy or rainy as you constantly make it out to be, and it gets a lot more sun than you keep claiming too..but you should know that by now as the weather and micro-climates here have been explained to you countless times already, along with many other things, yet you continue to fail to understand/listen, and you still hold on to you your erroneous beliefs like you're some kind of expert...fog and temperatures have nothing to do with whether or not a place is Mediterranean anyways.

SF is a Mediterranean climate, this is a fact, and it is not up for discussion or interpretation. The world is a sphere, this is also a fact that is not up for discussion or interpretation. Then again, andyadhi01 world is much different than the world the rest of us live in, apparently.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF is not nearly as foggy or rainy as you constantly make it out to be, and it gets a lot more sun than you keep claiming too..
A lot more sun compared to what? It is definitely has the worst weather of any large cities in CA and weather of SF has more similarity with Seattle than with LA. So whether it is defined is Mediterranean or not is immaterial. SF weather is more like Seattle weather and not like typical sunny weather CA is famous for. SF summers are at least 10-15 degrees cooler than even most of bay area. Name me one city in the entire world (excluding small towns in Nor Cal) that is in the Mediterranean climate zone but is colder and cloudier/foggier than SF? Are you suggesting that Italy, Greece and Southern Spain has SF like weather???

Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 AM

162 posts, read 171,937 times
Quote:
A lot more sun compared to what? It is definitely has the worst weather of any large cities in CA and weather of SF has more similarity with Seattle than with LA. So whether it is defined is Mediterranean or not is immaterial. SF weather is more like Seattle weather and not like typical sunny weather CA is famous for. SF summers are at least 10-15 degrees cooler than even most of bay area. Name me one city in the entire world (excluding small towns in Nor Cal) that is in the Mediterranean climate zone but is colder and cloudier/foggier than SF? Are you suggesting that Italy, Greece and Southern Spain has SF like weather???
Monterey, CA may in fact be colder and cloudier than San Francisco in the summer. Carmel is another, although its rather small, its not northern california but more central.

Even parts of LA County and city have a similar pattern to San Francisco.

Ever been to the south bay (Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach), or even Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Playa del rey, Marina del rey in the summer months. It slightly warmer, but is well known for its fog and overcast skies throughout the summer months. Even where I live in Long Beach get fog and overcast skies in the summer, especially during the evenings, and mornings up to the noon time hour.

About the only difference is San Francisco is a bit cooler, but really isn't that much difference than the rest of coastal California. Yet it's still a Mediterranean climate.

Los Angeles: Climate is pretty similar, especially spring, summer, and fall.
http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/los...bl_la_temp.htm

Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
About the only difference is San Francisco is a bit cooler, but really isn't that much difference than the rest of coastal California.
It's not just a bit cooler. All the places you mentioned in So Cal are 10-15 degrees warmer than SF in summer months and has way higher number of sunny days. As you can see in the link, SF temp rarely goes above 65F.

Average Weather for San Francisco, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Also if you live here you would know that in the winter you will sun in SF on average maybe once every 10 days! Just check the weather prediction anywhere in So. Cal and prove me that they are comparable to SF.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

162 posts, read 171,937 times
Quote:
It's not just a bit cooler. All the places you mentioned in So Cal are 10-15 degrees warmer than SF in summer months and has way higher number of sunny days. As you can see in the link, SF temp rarely goes above 65F.

Average Weather for San Francisco, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

Also if you live here you would know that in the winter you will sun in SF on average maybe once every 10 days! Just check the weather prediction anywhere in So. Cal and prove me that they are comparable to SF.
The whole point was San Francisco is part of a region that is Mediterranean. You can look at the natural vegetation around the area and see that its the same. The northwest has a totally different look to its natural enviroment, and the bay area, including San Francisco is much drier.

You're right I don't live in S.F., but I go there enough and have a lot of close ties being that half my relatives live there. I have experience the area enough in all seasons over my 45 years of life. I've also lived in the Fresno area, and went to San Francisco quite a bit since it was only a 3 hour drive.

Actually Fresno is even much cooler and cloudier than S.F, and brutally hot in the summer. I would say its weather is more different, and less humidity than southern California, yet it's also considered Mediterranean. In the winter there are times where we wouldn't see the sun for a month during the winter. I have never seen S.F. ever this bad during the winter, like what we experienced in Fresno.

I also lived in Chicago, and again S.F. has a lot more sunny days, be it winter, or summer. I don't know how you can say the bay area as a whole doesn't have a similar pattern than the rest of coastal California. In the summer, other than within the city of S.F. the temperatures in that area is just as warm, if not more so in some spots. Cities like Vallejo, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, Livermore, Pittsburgh, and Concord doesn't feel any different to me than the Inland Empire. Hell its not even that far off from the summer heat in Fresno.

Look again at the link I provided, and see the box advising tourists what to expect of the weather each month in southern California. Other than the temperature, the weather pattern is very similar. Even S.F. although can get quite warm at the end of summer like Los Angeles in September, and October. I've been there when it was awful, reaching temperatures in the 90's , yes in the city of S.F.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,088,550 times
Quote:
So Seattle actually has a summer and its warmer during summer. SF is more like 50 low 60 high all year long with 2 months of sunny weather.
Average maximum temps: [Seattle-Tacoma Airport\ San Francisco Airport]

Jan> Seattle: 43F\ San Francisco: 58F
Feb> Seattle: 48F\ San Francisco: 61F
Mar> Seattle: 51F\ San Francisco: 62F
Apr> Seattle: 57F\ San Francisco: 64F
May> Seattle: 64F\ San Francisco: 68F
Jun> Seattle: 69F\ San Francisco: 69F
Jul> Seattle: 75F\ San Francisco: 70F
Aug> Seattle: 73F\ San Francisco: 71F
Sept> Seattle: 68F\ San Francisco: 73F
Oct> Seattle: 59F\ San Francisco: 70F
Nov> Seattle: 50F\ San Francisco: 63F
Dec> Seattle: 45F\ San Francisco: 58F

Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM

163 posts, read 226,507 times
how would you compare the bay area to european climtes. I knows its at the same altitude as central Spain or Italy but the cold ocean currents from the pacific northwest creat micro climates so parts of the coast look like the British isles. LA and SD are problaby similar to the coast of Israel, Syria, or Morroco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland