Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yes, this question has been posed many times. It's not even a matter of opinion. Every tourist guide, Wikipedia entry, and gardening book will confirm that the Bay Area clearly has a Mediterranean climate. Virtually no rain from April to October and most of the annual rainfall from November to March, with the peak of dryness (i.e. literally no rain for months on end) from June-August and the peak of wetness (i.e. the heaviest rain) from Dec-Feb. Nothing "English Channel" about it either, as the English Channel is at least as wet as the PNW, if not more so, and is on the same latitude as Seattle. Keep in mind that the Bay Area is on the same latitude as the southern Mediterranean region (southern Spain, Greece, Sicily). San Diego is also considered "mediterranean," as mentioned, but IMO begins to exhibit the beginnings of a desert climate in the fact that the area has less dependable winter rains and more frequent droughts (although not this year! I haven't seen it this green in years!). SD is also on the latitude of northern Africa, so that makes sense.

All in all, I understand that people wonder about SF's climate because it's summers are cool and foggy, but that is irrelevant to its rainfall patterns. Also, just head out of the city into other parts of the Bay Area, and you'll find the months and months of sunshine on end, typical of Mediterranean patterns.

Interestingly, I read that mediterranean climates in the southern hemisphere are less summer-dry than in the northern hemisphere, so that in Australia, for example, it does rain just a little bit in the summer. Just an interesting side note.
Good response. Many don't realize that San Francisco is much further south than much of Italy\ France, etc & SoCal is comparable to north Africa in latitude and climate. San Francisco is unique due to several geographical factors including being surrounded on 3 sides by water. Just a short drive out of San Francisco and the weather really warms up during summer [often over 20 degrees warmer in less than 20 miles [ie. Marin]. Extreme northern coastal California around Arcata\ Eureka is more like the Pacific NW but not inland. The Sacramento valley is extremely hot and dry w/ no rainfall from May to October like a Mediterranean climate.

Southern California is considered dry subtropical like Tunisia & Morocco [far southern Mediterranean climate].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
San Francisco weather is definitely not Mediterranean. How could you call it Mediterranean when there is barely any sun for large most of the year? It is cloudy and rainy for the entire winter with rarely any sunny day and then its very foggy for the summer and it can get thick fog anytime of the year. The temperature rarely goes above 65F. Bright and warm sun shine is very rare in SF.

But the overall non-coastal parts of bay area have great weather particularly in the south bay area.
Read my above post plase LOL. Mediterranean isn't defined by temperature first of all, but by weather pattern in in that sense, SF is very Mediterranean. In fact, everywhere I look for the climate type for SF it says Mediterranean, it's pretty much unanimous LOL. Also the amount of sun SF gets depends on where you are. Most of the time I go to the city, the sun's out. If you're thinking San Francisco's climate is like Seattle's...um...no.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Read my above post plase LOL. Mediterranean isn't defined by temperature first of all, but by weather pattern in in that sense, SF is very Mediterranean. In fact, everywhere I look for the climate type for SF it says Mediterranean, it's pretty much unanimous LOL. Also the amount of sun SF gets depends on where you are. Most of the time I go to the city, the sun's out. If you're thinking San Francisco's climate is like Seattle's...um...no.
Just ignore that crank. He hasn't lived in San Francisco for more than a few months right now, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Just a limited opinion, with little experience....you know how they say "opinions are like....everybody's got one"

Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Does the Bay Area have a mediteranean or Pac NW Climte?
closer to the pacific NW>So Calif is closer to Meditaranian.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The Bay Area is way cooler (and foggier) than the Mediterranean but not as wet as the Pacific NW. Perhaps more English Channel?
I was about to respond the same, I would think people who compare it with the Med haven't been to the region. Of course it depends what part of the bay area the OP is referring to, San Francisco is very different from say, the East Bay.

Nita

Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 AM

4,156 posts, read 10,979,023 times
Remember the OP was for the BAY AREA, which is a lot of different zones, as shown below...From Sunset:

Sunset climate zones: California/Nevada - Sunset.com

ZONE 14. Inland Northern and Central California with Some Ocean Influence
Growing season: early Mar. to mid-Nov., with rain coming in the remaining months. Periodic intrusions of marine air temper summer heat and winter cold (lows run from 26 degrees to 16 degrees F/-3 degrees to -9 degrees C). Mediterranean-climate plants are at home here.

ZONE 15. Northern and Central California's Chilly-winter Coast-influenced Areas
Growing season: Mar. to Dec. Rain comes from fall through winter. Typical winter lows range from 28 degrees to 21 degrees F/-2 degrees to -6 degrees C. Maritime air influences the zone much of the time, giving it cooler, moister summers than Zone 14.

ZONE 16. Northern and Central California Coast Range Thermal Belts
Growing season: late Feb. to late Nov. With cold air draining to lower elevations, winter lows typically run from 32 degrees to 19 degrees F/0 degrees to -7 degrees C. Like Zone 15, this region is dominated by maritime air, but its winters are milder on average.

ZONE 17. Oceanside Northern and Central California and Southernmost Oregon
Growing season: late Feb. to early Dec. Coolness and fog are hallmarks; summer highs seldom top 75 degrees F/24 degrees C, while winter lows run from 36 degrees to 23 degrees F/2 degrees to -5 degrees C. Heat-loving plants disappoint or dwindle here.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,426,721 times
I don't know how you can characterize the Bay as a single climate. Here in Redwood City we have many sunny days during the winter months with light rain. However, I can look about 5 miles up to the hills or north and it is foggy, rainy and cold.

I have experienced a -20 degree swing from Redwood City to San Francisco before.

It is a climate made up of micro-climates.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 89,625 times
Default Definitely Mediterranean

I have lived in the NW and am now in the Bay Area. I can certainly say this is a Mediterranean climate here. It is drier and more plants like olives and grapes can be grown here.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Just ignore that crank. He hasn't lived in San Francisco for more than a few months right now, he has no idea what he's talking about.
Just a limited opinion, with little experience....you know how they say "opinions are like....everybody's got one"
Got it

Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,117,828 times
I don't know what any of you guys are smoking. The Bay Area's climate is nowhere near Pac NW climate. It is closer to SoCal climate than Seattle's climate. If you don't believe me, spend some time in San Jose (and the rest of the South Bay, which holds like 1.7 million people) and tell me if it is foggy/rainy/cold... lol. SF is only like 10% of the population of a 7million people region. Go to Napa, Oakland, San Ramon, Milpitas, Palo Alto, and I can go on and on, they are all stereotypical sunny California climate. Most definitely Mediterranean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland