U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-02-2010, 11:23 PM

390 posts, read 745,529 times
Default Does The Internet Take The Fun Out of Traveling?

I've often enjoyed visiting the bay area. There's lots of things to do, and the energy of the bay is enthralling. Sometimes, I get fed up with the parking and the crowds, but I always return.

However, with the advent of internet shopping, I find myself getting "lazier." The stores and selection I could only access by traveling to a city is now irrelevant many times since I can just log onto a website, pay for the item with one mouse click and then a week later, it's at my doorstep.

In the past I would say, "I have to go to city x, y, or z." Now, every store is accessible with internet access, instead of with a long drive. And there's lots of stuff that's even much cheaper online as well.

Now, obviously, I can't access all the great restaurants or great scenery of the bay online (well, not fully), but still, the internet has taken some of the luster and appeal and sheer necessity of travel away.

Do you feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,207 times
I don't think so. I live in a small city (24k) that has very little shopping opportunity which leads to me buying online a lot. But I want to move to a larger city so I can go to city x, y, and z. It's like an adventure trying to find what you want. Can't wait for graduation so I can move to a larger area, hopefully the Bay Area.

Unread 03-03-2010, 11:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,948,015 times
No, because I don't normally associate travel with shopping.

Unread 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM

3,461 posts, read 8,163,896 times
I think it's a great idea. Now you can sit at home in your bathrobe and never have to leave. You can shop, view pictures of distant places, watch movies, listen to music and play games without ever having to get out of your chair. Isn't the internet marvelous?

Unread 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM

334 posts, read 570,943 times
I love shopping when I travel...especially London, NYC, Vegas, LA, and Paris. I generally dedicate at least a couple days to shopping when I travel. There are so many wonderful cities in the world with amazing shopping opportunities in beautiful plazas with great dining and cafes as well. The people watching is also fun, and the energy of everyone walking around is exciting. I also have allergies so tend to avoid "nature" type places when I travel unless its the beach like Caribbean.

SF is great too. You have 5 or 6 major dept. stores all in walking distance. Neimans, Saks, Bloomies, Barneys, Nordstrom, and Macys. Then you have every major luxury boutique like Prada, Gucci, etc. and you can take BART right into the basement of the Westfield Center, which houses all the mid range boutiques. The only thing SF lacks is an abundance of decent childrens clothing. Every kids store downtown, they have in any average suburban shopping mall. Other then than, I vote shopping for the experience of being in the heart of what makes a city pulse vs. online...unless you need something really specific like a childrens floating device (something I am currently buying online).

Unread 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,217,761 times
No. Aside from needing some sunscreen or a replacement for lost sunglasses I've never gone shopping on vacation/traveling.

Unread 03-03-2010, 02:27 PM

846 posts, read 1,346,572 times
I would say that the ability to plan trips using the internet if anything has improved trips. Not only that, now you don't have to pre-plan anything, as you can look things up the day before using the internet. When I took a trip to Japan with my friends there was free wi-fi at the hotels I would look up stuff for the next day of planning. I don't think it has affected shopping at all, I'm not going to go on the internet to get souvernirs of Prague, or Kyoto, or London after the fact.

If I go get stuff like a soda can at 7-11 in Kyoto, or batteries at a gift shop, the internet will not change anything about those purchases. I certainly travel to other places to experience being there, see things I wouldn't see at home, do touristy things. I can go to a mall almost at anytime, there is no point in going 5000 miles to go shopping so I can't fit everything in my luggage, and paying a lot for it. I am certainly not going to waste my precious vacation days going shopping, life is much too short for that. The memories of seeing Kiyomizu in Kyoto at night with friends for example is worth much more than some shirt I can get at some department store.

Unread 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM

982 posts, read 1,419,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I've often enjoyed visiting the bay area. There's lots of things to do, and the energy of the bay is enthralling. Sometimes, I get fed up with the parking and the crowds, but I always return.

However, with the advent of internet shopping, I find myself getting "lazier." The stores and selection I could only access by traveling to a city is now irrelevant many times since I can just log onto a website, pay for the item with one mouse click and then a week later, it's at my doorstep.

In the past I would say, "I have to go to city x, y, or z." Now, every store is accessible with internet access, instead of with a long drive. And there's lots of stuff that's even much cheaper online as well.

Now, obviously, I can't access all the great restaurants or great scenery of the bay online (well, not fully), but still, the internet has taken some of the luster and appeal and sheer necessity of travel away.

Do you feel the same way?
I still like getting out to go shopping just to do it as an activity. I like to get out and see the sights, and smells (if they are good smells). I think shopping in real life is a more fulfilling sensory experience.

However, it is great the Internet is there too as an option. Sometimes I am too lazy to get out or I need more info and want to hunt for the best deals. The Internet definitly wins in this aspect.

I think maybe you might just enjoy staying in more often and with the Internet you are able to do that more often and not have only the option of driving to the city and buying things there.

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM

6,665 posts, read 8,606,692 times
No -- because I don't shop on vacation.

And if we do, it's because we've come upon some oddball gem of a store with stuff you wouldn't think about buying until you see it.

You actually have to think about stuff you need to look for it online. It's easy to buy underwear and socks and shoes (Yay, Zappos!) online and even look for the offbeat there.... but you have no idea you need a old barrel top to hang on your wall until you see it and have to have it....

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

177 posts, read 199,469 times
Internet shopping has been an absolute god send for me! Since I can take advantage of lower prices. Example. I once bought a digital camera that was going for nearly seven hundred dollars here in Iowa city. For only four hundred dollars on line back in 2008. A camera I used when visiting San Francisco last year mind you. Don't be surprised if you see some old guy walking about Oakland snapping pictures of insects later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland