U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,999 times
Cool Safe, affordable city in the Bay Area?

Hello,

My husband and I are possibly relocating to the Bay area, coming from Indianapolis (where is is very safe and cheap). I have lived in Southern Ca, so I know that it is expensive and you get a lot less of a home for the price.

The potential job would be in South San Fran, we want a nice place, that is family oriented but close to cultural activities, ethnic dining, libraries, museums and such. We do not want to commute more then 45 minutes away. My husband also does not want to be stuck on a bridge and pay tolls everyday. Most of the homes that I see are very old, and tiny any suggestions, with not going to far out? We want to be able to enjoy what San Fran has to offer, but we do not need to live in the heart of it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 PM

801 posts, read 1,336,744 times
What's your budget? What type of place are you looking for (single family home, townhouse, apartment, etc.)?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Well considering we come from an upscale neighborhood where the homes are valued 200-300k, we would maybe go up to 450k at the most. We have a dog so we need a yard (so single family home)

Woudl there be any hope for us? I saw some nice homes online in Livermore and Discovery Bay, but those places would be too far out.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,533,235 times
I'd look at Walnut Creek and surrounding areas. You will be challenged by the cost of homes. I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area. Always sticker shock compared to Dallas. A very nice place for raising kids is Moraga. Prices are high but schools highly rated. Lafayette is near the BART, look there too.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Thank you, I will check those out, I once knew someone in Walnut Creek and it was nice. We do not have kids, we are in our late 40's and early 50's, but still are not ready for retirement yet! I checked out homes in Martinez and did a map, husband says 45 minute ride means three hours each day, and no to that! Go figure.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
Check out Hayward/San Lorenzo/Castro Valley. While I wouldn't consider these areas "upscale" necessarily they do have upscale ammentites and are good family areas. They are on the BART line to for easy access to SF but still have fairly affordable areas where you can buy a home in your price range. You can't avoid the bridges though for commuting.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM

801 posts, read 1,336,744 times
Since your husband does not want to drive over a bridge, your options are living in SF or the Peninsula, or living somewhere on a BART line. While you can find single family homes in that price range in those areas, you will have very few options, and perhaps none in an upscale neighborhood. Are you only looking for places in upscale neighborhoods or are you open to other options?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,237,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonn View Post
Thank you, I will check those out, I once knew someone in Walnut Creek and it was nice. We do not have kids, we are in our late 40's and early 50's, but still are not ready for retirement yet! I checked out homes in Martinez and did a map, husband says 45 minute ride means three hours each day, and no to that! Go figure.
Also, check out Pacifica; easy commute to south sfo, small community on the water, working class roots.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM

HI, everyone, no the area does not have to be upscale, just safe with green areas and parks not all cement. I do see alot of foreclosures that might be an option for something nice.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM

4,501 posts, read 4,496,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonn View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are possibly relocating to the Bay area, coming from Indianapolis (where is is very safe and cheap). I have lived in Southern Ca, so I know that it is expensive and you get a lot less of a home for the price.

The potential job would be in South San Fran, we want a nice place, that is family oriented but close to cultural activities, ethnic dining, libraries, museums and such. We do not want to commute more then 45 minutes away. My husband also does not want to be stuck on a bridge and pay tolls everyday. Most of the homes that I see are very old, and tiny any suggestions, with not going to far out? We want to be able to enjoy what San Fran has to offer, but we do not need to live in the heart of it.

Thanks!

Nope no suggestions, besides the one you have ruled out (ie going to the east bay where it is affordable). For your price range get used to run down fixer uppers in hit or miss areas, or condo -small town house living. Otherwise rent. In places that support free competition you would see more options, but you just are not going to see that here, and yes it is diliberate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland