Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM

68 posts, read 344,777 times

Advertisements

Here is my issue with the home that we used to rent (just moved out a couple of days ago).

We rented a home in Millbrae, CA for 1 year (lease). We moved in February of 2009. We started having mold problems towards the Fall season of 2009 when it was starting to get more cold in the bay area.

When I first saw the mold I just cleaned it up with bleach cleaners. The mold would disappear, but come back a few weeks later.

I never mentioned it to the landlord because Millbrae (landfill land and the soil is horrible!) is known for its soil not being the best and I just dealt with the mold thinking that everyone in Millbrae (that has not remodeled their home like that one I was renting is dealing with the same issue), plus I am not the type of person to complain about something that I can clean up myself.

The mold was just a pain in the rear. It even grew green "fuzzy" type of mold also in the bedroom closest floors, the kitchen pantry and it grew wall mold on the bedroom walls and on th window seal too.

We decided that we would just move out and get out of the home, yet we didn't mention it to the landlor about the mold. All she asked was is there any reason as to why you are moving? I have a gut feeling though that she knows about the mold problem and just didn't disclose it because her home would not rent out and so forth. She used to live there ans moved out and jsut rents the home out.

My concern is...the future tenants.

What should I do? Is there a place where I can report the mold problem in that home? I have pictures of the mold too to prove the problem. I am not looking into suing the landlord at all. I am justt concern about the mold and the tenants that are going to live there next, ESPECIALLY if infants are living there or people with severe allergies.

What can I do about this issue? Any input is appreicated a lot!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:33 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
Here is my issue with the home that we used to rent (just moved out a couple of days ago).

We rented a home in Millbrae, CA for 1 year (lease). We moved in February of 2009. We started having mold problems towards the Fall season of 2009 when it was starting to get more cold in the bay area.

When I first saw the mold I just cleaned it up with bleach cleaners. The mold would disappear, but come back a few weeks later.

I never mentioned it to the landlord because Millbrae (landfill land and the soil is horrible!) is known for its soil not being the best and I just dealt with the mold thinking that everyone in Millbrae (that has not remodeled their home like that one I was renting is dealing with the same issue), plus I am not the type of person to complain about something that I can clean up myself.

The mold was just a pain in the rear. It even grew green "fuzzy" type of mold also in the bedroom closest floors, the kitchen pantry and it grew wall mold on the bedroom walls and on th window seal too.

We decided that we would just move out and get out of the home, yet we didn't mention it to the landlor about the mold. All she asked was is there any reason as to why you are moving? I have a gut feeling though that she knows about the mold problem and just didn't disclose it because her home would not rent out and so forth. She used to live there ans moved out and jsut rents the home out.

My concern is...the future tenants.

What should I do? Is there a place where I can report the mold problem in that home? I have pictures of the mold too to prove the problem. I am not looking into suing the landlord at all. I am justt concern about the mold and the tenants that are going to live there next, ESPECIALLY if infants are living there or people with severe allergies.

What can I do about this issue? Any input is appreicated a lot!

Thanks!
If you want to report it, the office to contact is the San Mateo County Health Dept's Environmental Health Section pertaining to housing. San Mateo County - Health - Health Divisions - Community Health - Environmental Health - Housing Programs

BTW, Millbrae isn't on landfill. The soils (where I live) is actually clay. I don't have a mold problem, but I also keep my house well ventilated to make sure of that!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Soil has nothing to do with mold.
For future reference you need to report ANY problems with the unit such as mold, to the LANDLORD, in written form preferably, so that it is recorded just in case it is needed in the future.
Mold can be hazardous as well as a symptom of other problems with the building itself.
I know that as a landlord I PREFER when my tenants keep me informed, since I don't live in the unit (and never have), how else would I know?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:33 PM

68 posts, read 344,777 times
Clay type of soil does not absorb water well. The water stays "flooded" and does not drain. Also, I did the best I could to ventilate the home. Even with double pane windows, all of the wondows would get wet inside. I would have to go around and dry the windows every morning to help keep the mold issue controlled to some point.

It's true, I should have told the LL. I will report the mold problem and hope that it gets fixed before others move.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
(Scratching head...)

I really don't know why you never told the landlord?! I would want my tenants to tell me immediately! It's nice that you dealt with it, but it really wasn't your responsibility. The landlord should take care of that.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,442 times
Default In the future

I lived in Millbrae (west side) for many years and never had a mold problem (and neither did any of my neighbors and friends who live in various parts of Millbrae); therefore, I strongly believe it has to do with ventilation problem in the house. I moved from Westlake in Daly City where I did have mold issues. Part of the problem was b/c the previous owner venting his dryer into the crawl space under the house and the vents were all plugged up.

You mentioned in your first post that Millbrae is on landfill... as you now know that is definitely not true. Which part of Millbrae did you live at?

I am a landlord and am grateful when a tenant informs me of any adverse conditions my property may have. To me, that separates the good tenants from the bad tenants. I once had an oddly evasive tenant and much to my dismay I learned after he moved out that there was drainage problem in the shower for a long time but he never told me. Apparently his hair and other junk was collecting and clogging the pipes. Also, the toilet was leaking and there was major water damage to the subfloor. They were very costly repairs and had the tenant informed me of these disrepairs when he first noticed, they could have been fixed without causing further damage to the property. You obviously had really bad luck during your tenancy, why you didn't report it to your landlord is something I can't understand. And now complaining it to everyone but the landlord is just mean and irresponsible.

Last edited by ReplyToYou; 03-19-2010 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: to fix grammar

Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,711 times
Hi,

I am looking forward to rent an apt/condo in Milbrae. Can you please tell me, which community was this? so that I can avoid it. At least the street and the cross street?
Many thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland