U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 25,854 times

Advertisements

okay I figured I would get more responses in the SF forum than San Jose. I have visited the Bay area in the past but never the Silicon Valley/South Bay area.
I am:
-single, no GF, no debts, no commitments, very few belongings
-from a small, low-income, rural, east coast, homogenous, deadend town
-can't even consider the small town drag
-recent college grad
-24 years old
-enjoy the outdoors (biking, swimming, beach, snowboarding), eating unique foods, experiencing life, trying new things, being young (and trendy)
-easy going, not obsessed with the upwardly mobile culture but enjoy making money, working hard, building a career. I'm transitioning out of the college brokestyle and into the professional scene. No intentions in the foreseeable future of leasing a bimmer, trying to make VP, buying a $800,000 house, or starting a family. I love technology, the fast, creative, thinktank feel of Silicon Valley and making money to do the things I like but don't subscribe entirely to the yuppie mentality. I'm happy living pretty spartan/simple punctuated with some of my favorite hobbies.

what I have:
-job offer in entry level IT (location: Sunnyvale)
-$50-55k salary w/ benefits, etc. etc.
-a car to drive already in California (avoid driving x-c, fly into LAX, drive up to Sunnyvale)
-extended, supportive family in LA

what I want:
-within driving distance of the office, obviously. biking distance would kick ASS (again, Sunnyvale)
-rent a room ($600-900) or a studio/1br ($1000-1200)
-want to live in an area with culture, fun, like minded people... don't need to live in the HEART of the city
-don't want to get stuck in a neighborhood with a ton of snobby, leased BMW, bluetooth earpiece, antisocial people (I think you know what I am getting at here)
-culturally and ethnically diverse people (don't want to move into an area that is ALL asians/indians)
-some people like me (entry level, techy, smart, post-college)
-some people not exactly like me (maybe some mature college folks)
-GIRLS! I mean, young, single professionals to have adventures with

SO, city-data. make it happen for me. what kind of area am i looking for, what apartments can i afford in these areas and what fun stuff i can get into
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 PM

4,802 posts, read 6,124,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblinkerfluid View Post
SO, city-data. make it happen for me. what kind of area am i looking for, what apartments can i afford in these areas and what fun stuff i can get into
I just hate that language. "Make it happen for me." It sounds like you are just sitting back, waiting for other people to do your research for you. Don't forget to use the Search feature to find information about cities in the area.

Anyway! If you are working in Sunnyvale, then I would consider working in... Sunnyvale. It's easy to get around by bike. It's also one of the cheapest cities in the area. Your salary is not terrible. You might want/need to share an apartment but it's workable. Check craigslist or realtor dot com for ideas on apartment prices. Trust me, Sunnyvale is not a bad city, but you won't have to worry about having lots of people with BMW's around. The entire area is culturally diverse. The Silicon Valley culture is basically what you're trying to avoid, but there are plenty of folks who are trying to get away from that.

Why are you driving to LAX if you are working in Sunnyvale? Friends down there, just want to see the scenery? You know you could go into SFO or SJC and save the driving time, right?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I just hate that language. "Make it happen for me." It sounds like you are just sitting back, waiting for other people to do your research for you. Don't forget to use the Search feature to find information about cities in the area.

Anyway! If you are working in Sunnyvale, then I would consider working in... Sunnyvale. It's easy to get around by bike. It's also one of the cheapest cities in the area. Your salary is not terrible. You might want/need to share an apartment but it's workable. Check craigslist or realtor dot com for ideas on apartment prices. Trust me, Sunnyvale is not a bad city, but you won't have to worry about having lots of people with BMW's around. The entire area is culturally diverse. The Silicon Valley culture is basically what you're trying to avoid, but there are plenty of folks who are trying to get away from that.

Why are you driving to LAX if you are working in Sunnyvale? Friends down there, just want to see the scenery? You know you could go into SFO or SJC and save the driving time, right?
Sorry about my tone, just trying to make my thread sound a little fun . My family member in LA is letting me borrow her extra car while I get my feet on the ground for a couple months (avoid buying a car, standing in line at the DMV aka HELL the first few weeks of work). So I will fly there then drive up the coast. Im definitely starting to think roommates is a better option financially. Ill only have about 5 days to a week to fly in, drive up and get settled though. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:01 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,740,381 times
I have to disagree with the previous poster. Sunnyvale is not one of the cheaper places to live in the area. It's actually one of the more expensive cities to live in the South Bay...especially if you're in a neighborhood that shares Cupertino schools. It also is not very culturally diverse anymore. It has a huge population of Indian/Asian families.
It's more of a nice place to raise a family, but I probably wouldn't consider it a good place to be single. Although more expensive, you may want to consider neighboring Mountain View. Mt. View has better nightlife options and would probably be better suited for somebody young and single. It's also more got more cultural variety, from what I've experienced.
You're not really going to find any bad neighborhoods anywhere around the Sunnyvale area, so I'd just focus on finding an apartment that you like that's close enough to ride your bike comfortably.
As far as "yuppiness" goes, it's somewhat pervasive throughout the region, but you can choose to not let if affect you. You will see plenty of people with bluetooth devices stuck to their ears driving BMW's anywhere in Silicon Valley...not all of them are pretentious jerks though. Your life here will be what you make of it. All kinds of people from all walks of life live here. You'll have a car, so once you get settled into a decent apartment, feel free to explore the area. The Bay Area is very big. It's impossible to answer every question here.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I have to disagree with the previous poster. Sunnyvale is not one of the cheaper places to live in the area. It's actually one of the more expensive cities to live in the South Bay...especially if you're in a neighborhood that shares Cupertino schools. It also is not very culturally diverse anymore. It has a huge population of Indian/Asian families.
It's more of a nice place to raise a family, but I probably wouldn't consider it a good place to be single. Although more expensive, you may want to consider neighboring Mountain View. Mt. View has better nightlife options and would probably be better suited for somebody young and single. It's also more got more cultural variety, from what I've experienced.
You're not really going to find any bad neighborhoods anywhere around the Sunnyvale area, so I'd just focus on finding an apartment that you like that's close enough to ride your bike comfortably.
As far as "yuppiness" goes, it's somewhat pervasive throughout the region, but you can choose to not let if affect you. You will see plenty of people with bluetooth devices stuck to their ears driving BMW's anywhere in Silicon Valley...not all of them are pretentious jerks though. Your life here will be what you make of it. All kinds of people from all walks of life live here. You'll have a car, so once you get settled into a decent apartment, feel free to explore the area. The Bay Area is very big. It's impossible to answer every question here.
I've been hearing a lot of different opinions of sunnyvale. I do understand that the further towards Cupertino, the more expensive and less diverse it is because of the family factor.

I know I will answer a lot of the questions once i hit the ground but getting the best reconnaissance before I am there will help.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM

4,802 posts, read 6,124,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I think that you are right about Sunnyvale being more expensive now, at least in terms of rentals. The city-data figures I found show that on average, Sunnyvale rents are higher. That might be because Mountain View has large numbers of apartment buildings clustered in the area between Rengstorff Avenue and San Antonio Avenue.

I'm not sure why you say that Sunnyvale is not culturally diverse. You can see from the city-data stats below that Sunnyvale does have fewer Caucasians and more Indian/Asians than Mountain View. You said "It also is not very culturally diverse anymore." Are you sure you know what the words "diverse" means??? I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Sunnyvale is not culturally diverse??? Do you say that because there are more Asian Indians and fewer Caucasians? You do realize, that's exactly what diversity means, right??

Hmmm... it's interesting that you recommend Mountain View. I lived there for more than 10 years. Yes, Mountain View has a very vibrant nightlife and is a lot more exciting than Sunnyvale. Even if the OP doesn't live in Mountain View, it would be a short drive from Sunnyvale. The downtown has a few pretty hip bars and the usual Irish/English pubs. It's a good location if you just don't feel like driving all the way to San Francisco for some reason.

Mountain View has a light rail system that goes into Sunnyvale and eventually all the way to downtown San Jose through a transfer. It goes by some of the office buildings. That would make commuting easier, or the OP could bike down Central Expressway like I did for several years.

The OP should look at Craigslist to see what apartments cost in both cities, as well as other places in the area.

Races in Sunnyvale:

• White Non-Hispanic (46.5%)
  • Hispanic (15.5%)
  • Asian Indian (10.0%)
  • Chinese (9.6%)
  • Other race (7.2%)
  • Filipino (4.6%)
  • Two or more races (4.3%)
  • Japanese (2.7%)
  • Vietnamese (2.5%)
  • Black (2.2%)
  • Korean (1.8%)
  • Other Asian (1.1%)
  • American Indian (1.1%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html#ixzz0jU6h8fIG

(Sunnyvale) Median gross rent in 2008: $1,504.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 4.3%[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html#ixzz0jU9CKMQn

Races in Mountain View:

• White Non-Hispanic (55.2%)
  • Hispanic (18.3%)
  • Other race (8.3%)
  • Chinese (7.9%)
  • Asian Indian (4.3%)
  • Two or more races (4.1%)
  • Filipino (3.1%)
  • Black (2.5%)
  • Japanese (2.3%)
  • Other Asian (1.0%)
  • Vietnamese (1.0%)
  • Korean (1.0%)
  • American Indian (0.9%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-View-California.html#ixzz0jU6zri2S

(Mountain View) Median gross rent in 2008: $1,453.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 5.3%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-View-California.html#ixzz0jU8o5Q3u

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM

2,165 posts, read 4,740,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I think that you are right about Sunnyvale being more expensive now, at least in terms of rentals. The city-data figures I found show that on average, Sunnyvale rents are higher. That might be because Mountain View has large numbers of apartment buildings clustered in the area between Rengstorff Avenue and San Antonio Avenue.

I'm not sure why you say that Sunnyvale is not culturally diverse. You can see from the city-data stats below that Sunnyvale does have fewer Caucasians and more Indian/Asians than Mountain View. You said "It also is not very culturally diverse anymore." Are you sure you know what the words "diverse" means??? I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Sunnyvale is not culturally diverse??? Do you say that because there are more Asian Indians and fewer Caucasians? You do realize, that's exactly what diversity means, right??

Hmmm... it's interesting that you recommend Mountain View. I lived there for more than 10 years. Yes, Mountain View has a very vibrant nightlife and is a lot more exciting than Sunnyvale. Even if the OP doesn't live in Mountain View, it would be a short drive from Sunnyvale. The downtown has a few pretty hip bars and the usual Irish/English pubs. It's a good location if you just don't feel like driving all the way to San Francisco for some reason.

Mountain View has a light rail system that goes into Sunnyvale and eventually all the way to downtown San Jose through a transfer. It goes by some of the office buildings. That would make commuting easier, or the OP could bike down Central Expressway like I did for several years.

The OP should look at Craigslist to see what apartments cost in both cities, as well as other places in the area.

Races in Sunnyvale:

• White Non-Hispanic (46.5%)
  • Hispanic (15.5%)
  • Asian Indian (10.0%)
  • Chinese (9.6%)
  • Other race (7.2%)
  • Filipino (4.6%)
  • Two or more races (4.3%)
  • Japanese (2.7%)
  • Vietnamese (2.5%)
  • Black (2.2%)
  • Korean (1.8%)
  • Other Asian (1.1%)
  • American Indian (1.1%)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html#ixzz0jU6h8fIG

(Sunnyvale) Median gross rent in 2008: $1,504.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 4.3%[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html#ixzz0jU9CKMQn

Races in Mountain View:

• White Non-Hispanic (55.2%)
  • Hispanic (18.3%)
  • Other race (8.3%)
  • Chinese (7.9%)
  • Asian Indian (4.3%)
  • Two or more races (4.1%)
  • Filipino (3.1%)
  • Black (2.5%)
  • Japanese (2.3%)
  • Other Asian (1.0%)
  • Vietnamese (1.0%)
  • Korean (1.0%)
  • American Indian (0.9%)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-View-California.html#ixzz0jU6zri2S

(Mountain View) Median gross rent in 2008: $1,453.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 5.3%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-View-California.html#ixzz0jU8o5Q3u

Um, yeah...I actually do know what diversity means. Diversity should also mean a reasonably equal distribution of different cultures. You're using a bunch of random statistics from city-data, many of which are actually out of date and inaccurate. Sunnyvale to me is not diverse in the sense that it's becoming predominantly Indian/Asian. There are two cities in Santa Clara County that have "minority-majority" populations, Milpitas and Cupertino. I don't think Sunnyvale is far behind.
I grew up in Milpitas. When I was a kid, we had neighbors from all walks of life. My parents still live in the same house. The neighborhood is about 90% Asian now. That to me is not diversity. Unfortunately, many people equate diversity with any population where white people are the minority. That's not the definition of diversity.
I'm white and much prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood where many different cultures are represented...not just Asian/Indian. I also don't want to live in a neighborhood that's white majority.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 PM

is it worth living in palo alto and commuting to sunnyvale? from my research, mountain view is my first choice for a hip, fun area for a 20 something but there seems to be more housing, albeit more expensive in palo alto

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,120,640 times
Hey SF is perfect for what you are looking for..very little diversity. Its either 100% white or 100% asian and nothing else. The neighborhoods will be perfectly segregated for your convenience- Lots of young people too...and rest assured there will not be a single Indian (or people of color for that matter) anywhere in sight. Yes your commute will suck but will find the kind of demographic you are looking for!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,302 times
Well Palo Alto is good place for your, where rich white folks live , im sure u blend in, plus Standford University is there, so there's a lot of Asians that live in the Bay Area, just get used it.good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland