U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 828 times
Default Moving to the East Bay Area

Hi. My husband, golden retriever, and I will be moving to the East Bay area in a couple of months and are looking for recommendations. My husband will be working in San Ramon so we are mainly considering the communities of Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Danville, Dublin, and Pleasanton. Can someone please tell me how these towns compare (we are trying to do this move blind)??? We definitely want to live somewhere where we will be able to easily walk/hike with our dog. Any information will be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 AM

3,110 posts, read 4,463,473 times
Any of those towns will suit you. Walnut Creek is the hub and has all the good shopping/downtown area. It's a nice clean smallish city and even has a dog park.

San Ramon doesn't have any downtown and is more of a suburb. A lot of houses went up all around the same time. Not much going on but a lot of business parks.

Danville is a nice m ore established town..very family oriented and upscale with some nice cafes/downtown area. It was historically associated with $$ and a more conservative mindset (by Bay Area standards).

Dublin would be a more middle class city..more ethnically diverse suburb..a lot of great Asian restaurants.

Pleasanton..nice downtown area, family oriented, very upper class conservative and might remind you of Orange County, SoCal..think Stepford wives, imo.

So any of those places would suit you in terms of places to walk your dog. There are regional parks/hikes etc all around the Bay Area and Briones Park (among others) have off leash trails too. If I had the choice out of the towns you mentioned, Walnut Creek would be my pick because there's just more to do and has faster access to Berkeley/Oakland/SF by BART.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,734,394 times
I would completely agree with the above, having grown up in the area.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM

25,338 posts, read 16,313,845 times
All these towns, plus Livermore, run together and if you don't know better you won't know where one ends and the other begins. Settling in any of them will provide you with what you need.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 PM

127 posts, read 266,295 times
Walnut Creek is really nice. The Broadway Plaza area has an outdoor mall that is beautiful--and there is a great Nordstrom to shop in. That combined with a good Target and John Muir Hospital make Walnut Creek a really good city to live in. People talk a lot about the traffic off Ygnacio Valley Road, so buying a house off that pathway may not be ideal.

Danville is good too--and they have a quaint "old town" along with lots of good shopping downtown.

San Ramon is more the suburban look, but is clean and would be comfortable. Dublin, Pleasanton, etc--those are much more further out and lots of traffic out that way for people commuting.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM

46 posts, read 98,203 times
This is a great site to find off-leash hiking trails for dogs. East Bay | Dog Park USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland