Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,895 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on "nice" and "safe" places to live within a good commutable distance from San Bruno. We have 2 elementary-aged kids so schools must be good. Was looking at Castro Valley and maybe Union City. (Read some posts about CV being ghetto, but I looked at some pictures and the area looks really nice. It doesn't look ghetto. If you have suggestions about CV, can you please give specific streets/areas to avoid?) Are there any suggestions on where else to look? (Homes in these areas are more than likely affordable enough for us, so any other cities which are similar would be considerations also.) We've heard from individuals that Dublin/Pleasanton is too far of a commute. (I've looked and really like those areas, though.) Will be commuting alone via car or motorcycle. Can anyone approximate how bad/good traffic is around 6AM (going into San Bruno) and 5PM-ish (leaving San Bruno)? Looking for any information we can get for our upcoming move. Thanks everyone for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:35 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,689,226 times
I wouldn't live in Castro Valley and commute across a bridge every day to San Bruno. The traffic is usually bad. Check out Millbrae, Burlingame or San Mateo. Or if you don't mind fog and wind often, check out San Bruno up to Daly City.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I wouldn't live in Castro Valley and commute across a bridge every day to San Bruno. The traffic is usually bad. Check out Millbrae, Burlingame or San Mateo. Or if you don't mind fog and wind often, check out San Bruno up to Daly City.
Thanks humboldtrat!

Unfortunately, I've been trying to find a house on my own and we won't be able to afford anything on that side of the bay. Since motorcycles can take the HOV lanes, will it make a difference? So far, I think we can afford some apartments on that side, but parking will be an issue, I'm sure. We have 2 cars and a motorcycle. Besides...maybe renting will be better, since we won't have to carry earthquake insurance. The bay area is probably due for another earthquake any year now...

Again, thanks for your input!! Will look into those school districts next and we'll go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland