Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

I have heard that some schools on the Peninsula are so broke that they are demanding contributions ($900.00 a child) to pay for such things as libraries and sports programs. And get this, if the parents don't have the cash, then the schools are considering posting their name in the hallway on a "Non-Contributors" list.

Can anyone corroborate this?

Last edited by Mach50; 04-19-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
It's highly doubtful. Schools cannot "demand" contributions, only request at the beginning of the year. Some schools ask for more than others as supplementation to the all the cuts. Donations to the schools are always anonymous and I honestly cannot imagine a public school revealing who doesn't donate. We have parents that are wealthy that donate more and parents that are lower income that can't and it's never been revealed in any way.

I donate to our local schools and a separate local science/art foundation but they still receive funding from federal and city and yes, even the state (obviously not as much since the cuts).

Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have heard that some schools on the Peninsula are so broke that they are demanding contributions ($900.00 a child) to pay for such things as libraries and sports programs. And get this, if the parents don't have the cash, then the schools are considering posting their name in the hallway on a "Non-Contributors" list.

If true, it is absolutely pathetic. Wtf does a public school need donations?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM

2,198 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:

Well, they are asking for contributions, and giving suggested amounts. But so far they can't make you donate. Lists are posted of those who do donate, not those who don't. This has been going on for years.

For example, several of the high schools have Excellence Funds in which they request contributions, and give a suggested amount (ranging from $20 at Mills, $200 at Burlingame, and $500 per pupil at Aragon). Names of those donating is posted (unless requested to remain anonymous).

Mills High School :: Excellence Fund
Excellence Fund (http://bhspg.org/excellence_fund.htm - broken link)
Aragon High School: Aragon Fair Share –

There is still some district funding available for sports, however at Mills they require $100 for the 1st sport you try out for, $75 for each additional sport. And no refunds if you don't make the team. And each sport has individual fundraising. My son was recently required to drum up $300 in donations for his sports fundraiser. Each school is different (i.e. Burlingame does not yet require funds to try out for sports, but they also have a larger excellence fund covering some of the expenses).

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am just learning these things because my child is only 2, so please pardon the ignorance.

I find this a little disturbing. Publishing a list of Contributors is basically publishing a list of Non-Contributors as well imo. So even though the schools aren't demanding a "donation" they sure are singling out those who cannot make one. That has to add a lot of indirect pressure on those parents to front out the cash.
This is the statement the lady told me the schools are using: "A public education is free, but a really good public education is not free".

I can understand fees for sports, labs, trips..etc. But we already pay high taxes, so this is hard to comprehend as a new father.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by Mach50; 04-19-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Well in the case of the schools in our area (some of the best in the state), the parental donations go towards supplementing what's been lost through the state budget cuts.

Some of the teachers at my child's elementary school were actually able to keep their jobs rather than being laid off. Sometimes the cuts are with special ed, speech, nurses, school psychologists, a full time janitor, etc. It's not just about supporting extras, but maintaining the basics. Our local high school will be dropping all 7th period classes (this means that kids that would like to take more than just the very basic grad requirements won't be able to).

I don't know how California high school grads will ever be able to compete for college places if they aren't even offered the choice to take higher level classes or even electives like wood shop, architecture, etc.

Most in my community are supporting an additional parcel tax to maintain the quality of the schools. I have no qualms about supporting education since it's really about the future of our state. In addition, the property values in my area have not really been affected by the real estate market solely over the reputation of the schools.

I guess I believe (not trying to start a debate- REALLY!) that we in the US pay some of the lowest taxes in the world, and our children aren't anywhere near the levels in math/science/writing that I witnessed when I lived in Europe. On a personal note, I'll be more than happy to give since I feel like I'm saving about 30k a year per child on a private school). Just my 2 cents. (err, 10cents ).

Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM

OK I have definitely heard of fund raising for schools, but asking parents to contribute is new to me. Do you think the level of education with contributions is comparable to a North East public education with no contributions?

I just asked my co-workers in Mass and upstate NY and they don't do anything like this there and have terrific schools.

I am just trying to evaluate the hidden fees with raising a child here (others who move here should know as well).

Last edited by Mach50; 04-19-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am just learning these things because my child is only 2, so please pardon the ignorance.

I find this a little disturbing. Publishing a list of Contributors is basically publishing a list of Non-Contributors as well imo.
No, it isn't. I always contribute and always check the box to indicate I prefer to be anonymous. Just think, if all the parents checked that box it would save someone a lot of work thanking them in the school paper. I know I donated and I don't need a public announcement made letting others know . I assume many parents feel similar.

To get an idea of where the state funding ends and parental contributions pick up, read various schools on-line PTO minutes and Excellence Fund info. It's very interesting. You don't just pay a small fee and join the PTO and that's that. They have ongoing never ending fundraising activities throughout the school year, which you pay into (and will participate in).

Last edited by twins4lynn; 04-19-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I wouldn't worry about anyone going over lists to see who ISN'T on them and retaliating in some way. Nobody is singled out for not having money, I don't know where people get these things. Maybe if there is a specific fee for some extra items the kid signed up for there could be a list of "people who still need to bring in their money" or something? Like school tshirts, yearbooks, or field trip costs... That's a whole different ball game however.

I've always been asked for donations to the classroom from ever teacher since my eldest started kindergarten 18 years ago. Always we have to buy our own supplies as well and a list comes home every year explaining exactly what they will need. The money donations are most often optional but in some classes, especially the upper grades and high school, they are required for specific things. These are usually electives that have extra costs associated with them. It's nothing new. And in ALL CASES exceptions are made for those who honestly can't afford it and kept confidential.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM

My kids are now in high school, but I found on line information that the Millbrae School District (K-8) has an Education Foundation, and this school year they began requesting each family donate $450 per child, and all funds donated are confidential. Families who can't contribute the requested amount are asked to donate what they can. Millbrae Education Foundation - Millbrae, CA

So, it looks like many schools/school districts are requesting specific amounts of contributions, and some schools keep the donor confidential while others post a public thank you (unless requested otherwise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland