Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 PM

115 posts, read 300,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Well these kind of things do happen in a place like San Francisco, but many of them aren't exclusive to there. You seem pretty shaken up by those experiences. I don't mean to dismiss what happened to you, but none of those stories you mentioned appeared to be life threatening, just annoying. Have things been better for you in Michigan?
You make a good point. If I hadn't gotten out of that armpit when I did, I might have also turned into one of those sullen SF zombies milling around in dreary garb ... while mumbling about my greatness and sophistication!

I haven't lived in Michigan since the '80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,551,170 times
Dude, I've only vacationed there twice and even *I* know not to call it "Frisco."

I don't know what you saw, but I think it's the most gorgeous city on earth - took the bus everywhere, walked through part of the Tenderloin to get to Brenda's - was only concerned once when was about to walk by a group of really wasted people, so I detoured. I'm used to cities though.

I'd say it's underrated, actually. Here in the east people don't realize how great it is. I'd live in North Beach if I could (and may when I can afford a decent place).

Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,666,853 times
...and Michael Savage is an idiot.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,308,572 times
"Overrated place on earth", wow, what an extreme statement. So extreme that it obviously is false, at least from my perspective.

SF is a beautiful city, arguably one of the most beautiful cities in this country. Great place to live if you're highly educated, highly skilled, well-off financially, enjoy the arts, prefer the finer things in life, and simple pleasures like beautiful scenery, ocean views, Golden Gate Park. Great place to live if you're striving to achieve these high levels for yourself. It's a city that adjusts to you. Great place to focus on one's self and gain clarity in life without the hustle and bustle that is the sarcasm, stress, overcrowdedness, abrasiveness, and lousy weather that defines the cities on the east coast. Hard to beat waking up to do a martial arts routine at the crack of dawn in the park on a Saturday morning in February, followed by a french toast breakfast in Sausalito, followed by a stroll along the beach with a beautiful woman. Or meeting with a quartet each week to play chamber music in a den with a beautiful view of the entire city, or sipping hot chocolate with your kid at Ghiradelli Square while a chorus sings Christmas carols. Even nicer practicing tai chi with elderly asians at the crack of dawn and benefitting from their wisdom. Great city to practice law or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of stem-cell or medical research or write a novel. Great place to become a doctor if you're already a lawyer, or become a lawyer if you're tired of being a software engineer. Great city to see beautiful, brilliant women. Even nicer working with them, exercising with them, and even sparring with them in the morning as part of your martial arts workout. Great listening to KGO's Ray Taliafero when working late night at home. Great to be able to work from home. Excellent restaurants here too. Nice suburbs. Great weather. Clean air. So much to like if you have the capacity to take advantage.

Bad parts exist in every city, but this doesn't define that city. True here.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,333,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrometheus View Post
You make a good point. If I hadn't gotten out of that armpit when I did, I might have also turned into one of those sullen SF zombies milling around in dreary garb ... while mumbling about my greatness and sophistication!

I haven't lived in Michigan since the '80s.
You sound very bitter & so sullen that anything you post about San Francisco is more a reflection on you & not the city. Happiness comes from within! Why don't you tell us about your current city of residence? Or are you embarrassed?

Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,405,553 times
I do not think it is overrated, probably overpriced for what you get, but that is another issue due to city growth, taxes, foreign investors, housing bubble, etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:14 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,278,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
"Overrated place on earth", wow, what an extreme statement. So extreme that it obviously is false, at least from my perspective.

SF is a beautiful city, arguably one of the most beautiful cities in this country. Great place to live if you're highly educated, highly skilled, well-off financially, enjoy the arts, prefer the finer things in life, and simple pleasures like beautiful scenery, ocean views, Golden Gate Park. Great place to live if you're striving to achieve these high levels for yourself. It's a city that adjusts to you. Great place to focus on one's self and gain clarity in life without the hustle and bustle that is the sarcasm, stress, overcrowdedness, abrasiveness, and lousy weather that defines the cities on the east coast. Hard to beat waking up to do a martial arts routine at the crack of dawn in the park on a Saturday morning in February, followed by a french toast breakfast in Sausalito, followed by a stroll along the beach with a beautiful woman. Or meeting with a quartet each week to play chamber music in a den with a beautiful view of the entire city, or sipping hot chocolate with your kid at Ghiradelli Square while a chorus sings Christmas carols. Even nicer practicing tai chi with elderly asians at the crack of dawn and benefitting from their wisdom. Great city to practice law or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of stem-cell or medical research or write a novel. Great place to become a doctor if you're already a lawyer, or become a lawyer if you're tired of being a software engineer. Great city to see beautiful, brilliant women. Even nicer working with them, exercising with them, and even sparring with them in the morning as part of your martial arts workout. Great listening to KGO's Ray Taliafero when working late night at home. Great to be able to work from home. Excellent restaurants here too. Nice suburbs. Great weather. Clean air. So much to like if you have the capacity to take advantage.

Great post +1

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

I'm happy for you that your own personal experiences, standards and expectations are such that a place like SF makes you feel overjoyed about being there.

Everyone's different.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
...and Michael Savage is an idiot.
Dr. Michael Savage is a national treasure.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You sound very bitter & so sullen that anything you post about San Francisco is more a reflection on you & not the city. Happiness comes from within! Why don't you tell us about your current city of residence? Or are you embarrassed?
I live in The Biggest Little City in the World and LOVE the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland