U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM

256 posts, read 940,324 times
Default Irish neighborhoods in the bay area?

I was wondering where they were and how Irish are they reallu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-14-2007, 05:44 PM

23 posts, read 118,982 times
there are Irish people here, and the great thing about the Bay is that its so culturally and ethnically diverse you can find them wherever you go. fortunately, there isn't any Irish-only neighborhoods because, well, frankly if there were any (insert-race/country of origin here)-only neighborhoods in the bay area, then we couldn't call ourselves diverse now could we?
As for the "authenticity" of how "Irish" an Irish person is, well you can always ask one if you run into one.

besides, don't we all have a little Irish in us anyway? lol

Unread 06-14-2007, 09:54 PM

24,185 posts, read 25,051,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-town View Post
there are Irish people here, and the great thing about the Bay is that its so culturally and ethnically diverse you can find them wherever you go. fortunately, there isn't any Irish-only neighborhoods because, well, frankly if there were any (insert-race/country of origin here)-only neighborhoods in the bay area, then we couldn't call ourselves diverse now could we?
While I totally agree with what you're saying, we do have some "ethnocentric" neighborhoods here... where I live is almost entirely Chinese (as are a few other spots in SF), Bayview/Hunter's Point is mostly African-American, and so on. But none of them are ALL one race, so I guess it counts as diverse. You're right about the Irish, though, since I can't think of one place that would be heavily Irish. Regardless, I agree that San Francisco is a wonderfully diverse & "harmonious" town, which is one of my favorite things about it!

Quote:
As for the "authenticity" of how "Irish" an Irish person is, well you can always ask one if you run into one.

besides, don't we all have a little Irish in us anyway? lol
LOL at both of those sentences. Everyone assumes I'm Irish, since I have bright red hair, blue eyes & freckles... but as far back as we can trace, I'm all Jewish/Ukrainian/Polish. Who knows, though??

Unread 06-23-2007, 09:19 AM

31 posts, read 102,705 times
My sister has red hair, white skin, and freckles. We are part Irish, but no one ever treats me like that! I'm Choctaw Indian and get treated like "black" (and thus a LIAR about being an Indian) even with a redheaded, freckle-faced, white-skinned sister.

Go figure what anyone "really" is.

Isn't San Francisco about being what YOU say you are, not what people TELL you you are?!

That's what I liked so much about the City. I got left pretty much alone about all that garbage and nonsense!!

Unread 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,311 times
San Francisco actually has a pretty vibrant Irish-American scene. It's not "traditional", whatever that means anyway. There are lots of good music, Celtic, Fusion, etc., and New College of California has an Irish studies program that is definitely cutting edge.

Each year New College puts on a "Crossroads" weeklong festival around St. Patrick's Day, featuring music, Irish film, history, cross-ethnic conferences, poetry, readings, etc. You'll find some pretty great stuff during that week, and I can guarantee that there will be things you won't expect, and will find interesting. At New College you can also take course in the Irish language, Irish labor history, women's studies, etc.

There's quite a bit out here.

Unread 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM

24,185 posts, read 25,051,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmicmac View Post
My sister has red hair, white skin, and freckles. We are part Irish, but no one ever treats me like that! I'm Choctaw Indian and get treated like "black" (and thus a LIAR about being an Indian) even with a redheaded, freckle-faced, white-skinned sister.

Go figure what anyone "really" is.

Isn't San Francisco about being what YOU say you are, not what people TELL you you are?!

That's what I liked so much about the City. I got left pretty much alone about all that garbage and nonsense!!
Yeah, luckily people out here don't care too much about "labels" and such... it's such a diverse & ethnically mixed city, nobody really has a clue what anyone is anyway! And speaking of Native heritages, my ex-boyfriend is 1/2 Tlingit (his mom's 100%, from Alaska) and 1/2 Mexican... but since he has his father's last name, everyone assumes he's just Latino, and they'll even speak Spanish to him - despite the fact that he barely speaks a word, LOL. He also occasionally gets mistaken for a Samoan, since he has their thick black hair & stocky build. But really, nobody CARES, even if they do occasionally play "guess the heritage" with him.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-25-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Unread 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM

256 posts, read 940,324 times
Thanks for all your replies where is New College of California ive never heard of it.

Unread 07-02-2007, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 13,311 times
New College is on Valencia Street in San Francisco between 18th and 19th street. They have a law school too, but not at that location. I think they have another campus up in Santa Rosa too.

Unread 11-20-2007, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
Default Irish

[quote=choctawmicmac;936845]My sister has red hair, white skin, and freckles. We are part Irish, but no one ever treats me like that! I'm Choctaw Indian and get treated like "black" (and thus a LIAR about being an Indian) even with a redheaded, freckle-faced, white-skinned sister.
quote]

Hey, you kind of sound like me. My dad and brother fit that discription of red hair, ect. My dad is Irish and Choctaw, but he just looks Irish. My brother and I have different mothers, so he's white other than the Choctaw and I'm part black because my mother is. I've noticed that my dad has strong Irish features and have passed some of that to me, so a wierd thing often times is that I'm asked what country I'm from...apparently, people think I'm Middle Eastern, like Egytian...even Egytians say I look like I can be from there and Hispanics say I could pass for them. I like who I am however, part black, white, and American Indian and I like the feeling of being incognito...except now with this terrorist issue, I'm a little selfconcious, because some have said that I look like Bin Laden, lol...life is so interesting and also amusing...I guess are skin color is the same. I don't know why you feel like people are calling you a liar though. Me and my brother look so different though, that when we tell people they think we are lying, but it's kind of cool. I just met my brother because I never knew my dad, really, so it's been an amazing experience that I never knew I would have.

Anyways, black has a stigma for many people, because of the media. My mom is very polished and none of my family talk "black" which, you do know what I mean, and talking "black" is a misnomer and wrong because this is a slang and like any accent or slang...is isolated to specific areas...ie, blacks/mulattos in Ireland, England, Africa, ect, don't have this black slang.

Anyways, I'm proud to be Mulatto and not just one. And you have love and support from me and others.

So, well I just thought I'd share.

God bless,

Chris (southern california)

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:30 PM

23,617 posts, read 28,176,567 times
Im Tongan and Irish.

I have olive skin, brown hair that is just a little red with green eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland