Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The best place to go for reasonably priced, healthy organic groceries is Rainbow Grocery in the Mission area. They also have 20% off coupon days (3 days/week,every other month for 2010). These are found in the back of the SF yellow pages.
That sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
For household items the best prices are found in the two Target stores in Colma and Daly City. Combine a trip to Target with a stop at the 99 Ranch Market in Daly City for more savings.
I do that too! Target + 99 Ranch, but I also use the trip as a chance to eat the Asian food in Daly City like Porridge King.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
What neighborhood do you live in? We did the bulk of our shopping at the local produce places coupled with Smart and Final. That was in the Richmond, and there are tons of small markets (lots of Chinese and Russian) and some of them have very good prices on certain items.

And for what it's worth, much as I hate Walmart and refuse to shop there, their produce is actually pretty good; there was an article somewhere pretty recently (the Atlantic, maybe?) where they compared Walmart vs Whole Foods and Walmart ended up doing pretty well.

My San Francisco food experience has been shaped by not having a car and by not having a big budget, but I found we didn't shop weekly -- it was more like shop at a lot of different stores more frequently. One store one day, another the next, so on. The plentiful markets, especially the ethnic ones, make that pretty easy. It gets more expensive if you want a more traditional American big brand supermarket diet -- boxed food like tends to be really expensive in the city. (although you can buy big boxes of things like Cheerios pretty cheaply at Smart and Final)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Rainbow Grocery and Trader Joe's were my two mainstays for major shopping trips. Small mom and pop stores for random forgotten items.

Also, there are many farmer's markets as well, which is much better for produce.

Search - LocalHarvest

Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Safeway with their club card was my go to grocery store. It's not nearly Whole Foods level for price. I lived in the Mission so the bodegas were a regular stop for basic produce. I also worked downtown and took advantage of the farmer's market (Wednesdays, was it?). Get there later when they're close to packing up and some vendors offer almost giveaway prices. I think I remember snagging a bag of chanterelles for $5. It's catch as catch can, though. Since you have a car, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Berkeley Bowl for a once a week excursion. The prices are around Trader Joe's level except the produce is cheaper and the abundance and variety is staggering, especially compared to any chain store. Check it out, if only just for the hell of it. Lots of bulk bin items too like pastas and nuts and the like, and that's a huge benefit for the wallet.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 PM

70 posts, read 179,735 times
I second Berkeley Bowl. I live within blocks of Rainbow, Trader Joe's, and Safeway, but I still find myself wanting to drive over the bridge to shop at BB. Their produce section is astonishing.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM

386 posts, read 797,412 times
When I was a student, I worked at the school cafeteria on a PT basis for free food and pocket change. Worked out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland