Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
  • It's very close to SF city
  • Beautiful topography/views/landscape
  • You'd think it would be treasure real estate given that it's next to the coast, close to SF (less than 20min drive), and yet it's not
  • Many homes and the downtown looked extremely run-down and decaying. The boardwalk was horrifyingly ugly - why has nobody invested in this area!?
  • People looked shabby and slightly hickish
  • Might as well live here as opposed to Marin to save costs...why don't more people do that!?
I've often thought the same thing. The housing stock is really ugly, too.

The weather is really windy and cold, though. So maybe that has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If it was really gentrified and all the homes were worth 2 million bucks you guys would probably be complaining about that.
There's some truth to that! But at the same time, it's not like the housing stock in the area is anywhere near affordable for people who earn the area's median income (just like the rest of the Bay Area).

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Pacifica is a little gritty but it has its charms, is in a stunning location, close to other great beach towns, close to the city.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've often thought the same thing. The housing stock is really ugly, too.

The weather is really windy and cold, though. So maybe that has something to do with it.
It does get less rain than Marin County..

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if i wana be chic i can drive 10 minutes to SF, i wana be lost in time in an old beach town, that is what i come for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I've been there a few times and it's not that bad. It's a little dumpy and working class but it's not that different from Daly City or any of the other suburbs near SF on the peninsula which are all kind of dumpy and run down looking mainly because the housing stock is smaller and older, the houses are still worth a bundle just because of their location though.

If it was really gentrified and all the homes were worth 2 million bucks you guys would probably be complaining about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Pacifica is a little gritty but it has its charms, is in a stunning location, close to other great beach towns, close to the city.
Amen. Amen.

Thank the gods not everyplace is like cookie cutter generic mission viejo.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Amen. Amen.

Thank the gods not everyplace is like cookie cutter generic mission viejo.
Interestingly enough, I have family that lives in Mission Viejo! The housing is fairly generic, but at least it's a nice level of generic. Been there a few times, think it's a pretty cool area.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Interestingly enough, I have family that lives in Mission Viejo! The housing is fairly generic, but at least it's a nice level of generic. Been there a few times, think it's a pretty cool area.
Plus, it doesn't have tons of violent crime like Oakland.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Pacifica has one of the highest insurance rates for Earthquake premiums. There's a reason why investors aren't putting tons of money into revitalizing the city. At any moment in the next 10 years, all of it could crumble into the sea.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Plus, it doesn't have tons of violent crime like Oakland.
No, but MV apparently does have at least one major douche bag . . .

Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 PM

I didn't vote for her. She got into office mostly on her ties to local business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland