U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,054 times

Advertisements

Moving to work in SF and looking for a nice community to rent. I've found some nice looking apts in Richmond, but don't know anything about the community. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM

10,142 posts, read 14,912,220 times
Do you mean Richmond the city, or the Richmond, the neighborhood/district in the city of San Francisco? People seem to get those mixed up sometimes, and there is a big difference...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,022,425 times
Umm no. Are you looking in Richmond because it's cheap? It's cheap for a reason. Like Oakland, Richmond is one of the most crime filled, dangerous cities in the Bay Area.

You should consider El Cerito, Orinda, or Berkeley. All better areas than Richmond IMO.

If you're talking about the Richmond District in S.F, that's okay if you don't care about living next to a bunch of Eastern Europeans (Russians, Slavs, etc).

Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcorrigan View Post
Moving to work in SF and looking for a nice community to rent. I've found some nice looking apts in Richmond, but don't know anything about the community. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Do you mean Richmond the city, or the Richmond, the neighborhood/district in the city of San Francisco? People seem to get those mixed up sometimes, and there is a big difference...
Yep, I'm with Uptown, big difference. Easily confused by people who don't live in this area....

Richmond the neighborhood in Sf is quite mellow and foggier the further you get out to Ocean Beach. North of GG Park, I prefer it to the Sunset, it's got more character in general and it is more convenient than the Sunset in a lot of ways I think.

Richmond, Ca. in the East Bay. There's Richmond Annex which isn't as rough as the Iron Triangle area of the City of Richmond.
Those condos that are always being advertised for sale and rent out by the water in Richmond are not worth the "deals" they seem to have.
I'd avoid those for sure.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

3,794 posts, read 4,889,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcorrigan View Post
NO!! Richmond is not a "nice community"!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Thank you! Since I don't have a chance to come out to SF and check the suburbs before I move there, it is wonderful to get these answers on this forum! So much for Richmond! I guess I'm going to concentrate on Walnut Creek. I've heard good things about it. Thanks again!

Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Walnut Creek is pretty nice. White collar, and quiet.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM

As far as living next to eastern europeans...russians, slavs....already do! Western MA is full of them!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,235,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Umm no. Are you looking in Richmond because it's cheap? It's cheap for a reason. Like Oakland, Richmond is one of the most crime filled, dangerous cities in the Bay Area.
Richmond's crime rate is barely higher than SF's (2008 stats, incidents per 100k residents):

Richmond violent crime rate - 1,074.9
murder - 26.6
rape - 36.4
robbery - 514.4
assault - 497.6

San Francisco violent crime rate - 1,024.1
murder - 12.3
rape - 20.8
robbery - 514.7
assault - 476.3

Quote:
If you're talking about the Richmond District in S.F, that's okay if you don't care about living next to a bunch of Eastern Europeans (Russians, Slavs, etc).
you act like there's something wrong with living next to eastern Europeans? The Richmond isn't completely "eastern European" anyways. It's heavily asian and white, and has a somewhat significant Russian population.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Richmond's crime rate is barely higher than SF's
Umm, Richmond has almost 3 times the Murder rate and 2 times the rape rate that San Francisco has, and mind you Richmond is about 10 times smaller than S.F. "Barely higher" is about as inaccurate a statement that can be formed from those numbers.

Also some food for thought for those possibly thinking of moving into Richmond:

Quote:
The city has in recent years suffered from a high crime rate, so serious that the city council at one point requested a declaration of a state of emergency and asked for the intervention of the Contra Costa County Sheriff and the CHP in order to ameliorate the crime rate. Murder, vehicle theft and larceny rates are all high,
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGM0DA7LS1.DTL

Richmond is statistically the second most dangerous city in California and was named the 8th most dangerous city in the country
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741.

I can't believe the amount of non-facts people try to pass off here, "Richmond is barely more crime ridden than S.F", that's the most ridiculous thing I've read on this forum in 6 months. People may be risking their lives moving into cities like Richmond or Oakland, all based on your misinformation.

Quote:
you act like there's something wrong with living next to eastern Europeans?
I never implied anything of the sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland