Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 AM

211 posts, read 282,121 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am from Australia, relocating to the Bay Area (East Bay - Walnut Creek / Pleasant Hill being work place) with my wife. I would like to get some advice..

Accommodation -
I have been looking at Walnut Creek California Apartments - Home - Park Regency Apartments, Archstone Walnut Creek Apartments in the Bay Area | Archstone Apartments and other craigslist adverts.
The reviews on the two properties above seem to be patchy at best. Could anyone let me know how these places are? I have been to ParkRegency and stayed there for 2 nights and I actually liked it. We are looking for 1 or 2 bedroom apartment (depending on the rent). Our budget is 1500 - 1700. Ideally would like to have gym facilities. Safety is paramount to us. Initially we won't be having the luxury of a car so close to BART is perfect.

Utilities -
I know it will take me 2-3 weeks to get an SSN issued. Whilst it's not so much of a concern with renting (well I have been in touch with a few consultants who say they can wait for the SSN to be updated but higher bond/deposit will apply), what are the potential issues with getting common utilities connected e.g. gas / electricity / mobile phones / internet etc? Could anyone recommend me any providers (MetroPCS seems to be thrown at me for mobile connection by few people)

Grocery -
Grocery places around Pleasant Hill BART. Anyone know Indian grocery store around WC or PH?

Other -
Other advice most welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 16,747 times
I'm not sure what the policy is for posting Web sites, but there are various apartment ratings Web sites where people post their candid views about what they think about their own apartment complexes. Sometimes I think managers may post glowing reviews there, too, and dilute reality; but you can still get some sense of whether or not an apartment complex is safe. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks. I think tho forum is perhaps better than rely on the personal reviews.

So anyone know if the policy here on the forum permits any help?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 16,747 times
I think the forum allows that - I'm just saying I can't paste in any Web site addresses.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Thanks. Do you have any recommendations? Also how about Utilities and Grocery and any general advice you may have. I am going to be a totally new city with no friends!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
I don't know anything about those two buildings, unfortunately. The only thing I can say about them is I don't love the area - safety-wise it's fine, but the Archstone apartments are on Treat, a very crowded commuter road, and in front of BART which can get noisy. It's also not particularly walkable, in that neighborhood is a BevMo, an Indian restaurant (but not Indian grocery), a pasta place, Club Sport, and a couple other places; there are a couple of semi-walkable bars, but they're long walks. Park Regency is even less walkable, only a 7-11 and a couple others nearby. It's a long walk to Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill downtowns. Everything is fairly accessible by car, though.

That said, there aren't a lot of apartment buildings with the gym amenities you're looking for, though there's no dearth of health clubs in the area to join. I'd look closer to Walnut Creek BART personally, in the downtown area. Just to warn you, the bus routes can be inconvenient during non-commuter hours, it once took me an hour to get from downtown Pleasant Hill to downtown WC. For travel times, you can check 511.org.

As for the SSN issue, I've had to use my SSN for every utility I've signed up for. However for phone, I'd recommend a pay-as-you-go phone (can be purchased at Best Buy).

Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM

75 posts, read 302,277 times
I've been dreaming of moving to Australia and here you are moving here... I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I think you've made a good choice with Walnut Creek as there are plenty of restaurants, etc. It's a nice area. One good thing is this area is very diverse and you won't have any problem finding whatever ethnic food/groceries you're looking for.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 AM

I have been here for almost 10 years so time to explore other areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland