Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Did you guys get together and say "hey, let's go over to that pinko-commie sf forum and tell them where they can put their boycott"???

LOL

Yall aint regulars here is why I wonder.

Anyway, have a nice day.
freaking zonies LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
How come all the posters live in Arizona? But just to keep you abreast of actions being taken in California. San Francisco\ Los Angeles\ San Diego city councils have condemned & will boycott Arizona [including businesses based in Arizona: Avnet\ PetSmart\ US Airways\ U-Haul]. Boycotts of pro sports is being seriously considered [boycott NBA\ MLB] including the All-Star game in 2 years & move training facilities. Today West Hollywood and tomorrow Carson call for boycotts [these are just 2 of many LA suburbs expected to take similar action].

California has clout and the soap-box to scold Arizona. Get ready because it is just beginning and you may reconsider how wise it is to alienate America.
Exactly, it's not just a SF thing. LA reacted as soon as SF did but SF was louder. I know SD isn't happy about it but I've not yet heard of the city planning a boycott.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
CaliSur,
I understand that your unhappy with this law and you think its unfair.

But Arizona is just fed up with a problem that they shouldnt even be worrying about-but because the federal govt isnt doing their job, the state has had to take measures into their own hands.

What do you think should be done about the problem of illegal immigration?
I know you asked calsur but I'd like to answer too. I don't think going after the illegals themselves will solve anything. I think what we need to be doing is going after the businesses that hire them harder. If there are no jobs, the incentive to come here won't be as strong.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
CaliSur,
I understand that your unhappy with this law and you think its unfair.

But Arizona is just fed up with a problem that they shouldnt even be worrying about-but because the federal govt isnt doing their job, the state has had to take measures into their own hands.

What do you think should be done about the problem of illegal immigration?
Arizona apparently is the main entrance into the U.S. [I don't know why this is the case since California\ New Mexico and Texas are also border states]. The problem in Arizona may be worse but the law was poorly thought out & may be over ruled in court. If Arizona decided to put their National Guard on the border it will be given more positive attention. There is also a history of racism in Arizona that is out of character in any other Western state. Arizona learned a lesson when the 1993 Super Bowl was moved from Phoenix to Los Angeles because of the state's unwillingness to honor Martin Luther King. There's a price to pay if a state steps out of bounds. Too bad Arizona hasn't figured that out yet.

I believe the border with Mexico must be closed and every effort should be made to create surveillance or even a wall to stem the number of undocumented.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know you asked calsur but I'd like to answer too. I don't think going after the illegals themselves will solve anything. I think what we need to be doing is going after the businesses that hire them harder. If there are no jobs, the incentive to come here won't be as strong.
I totally agree about going after employers who hire illegals.

At the same time, I don't think its asking too much if we go through a process of determining who should stay and who should go back to their country.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
How come all the posters live in Arizona? But just to keep you abreast of actions being taken in California. San Francisco\ Los Angeles\ San Diego city councils have condemned & will boycott Arizona [including businesses based in Arizona: Avnet\ PetSmart\ US Airways\ U-Haul]. Boycotts of pro sports is being seriously considered [boycott NBA\ MLB] including the All-Star game in 2 years & move training facilities. Today West Hollywood and tomorrow Carson call for boycotts [these are just 2 of many LA suburbs expected to take similar action].

California has clout and the soap-box to scold Arizona. Get ready because it is just beginning and you may reconsider how wise it is to alienate America.
Oh for heavens sake, do you really think the residence of these cities you mention will not buy from PetSmart, US Air, U-Haul or not attend the All Star games? You really live in a dream world. These boycotts were not mandated by residence, but the city council. I would seriously doubt training facilities would even think of relocating. Do you have any idea the cost involved in something like that? Have you even seen the newer spring training camps?

You may not like the new AZ action, you may not support anything that has to do with making sure those who live in our country are legal but you also need to realize what you would like to see happen isn't going to happen..

Oh and BTW, Ca doesn't have the clout they used to have, just the debts.

Nita

Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Did you guys get together and say "hey, let's go over to that pinko-commie sf forum and tell them where they can put their boycott"???

LOL

Yall aint regulars here is why I wonder.

Anyway, have a nice day.
I don't know about anyone else...though I do recognize the names of the posters...but when I see "Arizona" and "illegals" on ANY state's board, I have to check it out. Let's just say I am always curious as to how other people in other states feel about it. Lord knows I've read tons of posts!

I thought being a C-D member meant we were "regulars". No, I don't always post on other states/cities boards but sometimes...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Arizona apparently is the main entrance into the U.S. [I don't know why this is the case since California\ New Mexico and Texas are also border states]. The problem in Arizona may be worse but the law was poorly thought out & may be over ruled in court. If Arizona decided to put their National Guard on the border it will be given more positive attention. There is also a history of racism in Arizona that is out of character in any other Western state. Arizona learned a lesson when the 1993 Super Bowl was moved from Phoenix to Los Angeles because of the state's unwillingness to honor Martin Luther King. There's a price to pay if a state steps out of bounds. Too bad Arizona hasn't figured that out yet.

I believe the border with Mexico must be closed and every effort should be made to create surveillance or even a wall to stem the number of undocumented.
Your points are well taken.

I also agree with you on making our border stronger.

I think at the end of the day, most people actually agree on most parts of this issue.

We just disagree on how to implement positive change.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know about anyone else...though I do recognize the names of the posters...but when I see "Arizona" and "illegals" on ANY state's board, I have to check it out. Let's just say I am always curious as to how other people in other states feel about it. Lord knows I've read tons of posts!

I thought being a C-D member meant we were "regulars". No, I don't always post on other states/cities boards but sometimes...
Yes, I have to admit that if by odd chance I see a SF thread in some other subforum I usually click on it just to see what its about.

Okay. Sorry to the AZ people for that first comment.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is that any different than you living in CA and constantly discussing actions happening in Arizona?
I can almost guarantee to you that there is no thread by a Californian on the Arizona forum. Maybe someone will check this out because I do not read or post on other state's forums. Esp if the post was to intentionally criticize another state on their own forum. Up until this thread, the discussions about Arizona on the California forum have all been "in-house." There's a big difference. Do you post critical threads on other state's forums? I doubt it, sav858 but most anti-California threads come from out-of-state posters. I wonder why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland