Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
P
Please, stick to your 401k.
I don't have a 401k. I have a SEP IRA.

Quote:
Bottom line is you think a new stadium in Oakland is a bad idea and I think its an awesome idea.
Right, and that's why the stadium isn't being built because you don't build $300 million dollar stadiums based on "awesomeness", you build it based on economic viability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I don't have a 401k. I have a SEP IRA.
Yes, Im sure your very proud.

Quote:
Right, and that's why the stadium isn't being built because ideas aren't anything without reality behind them.
The problem with everything you've said in opposition to the stadium idea is that Oakland really does have viable options that are of interest to MLB.

Such feverish commentary about something you have no stake in personally is very strange.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, Im sure your very proud.
You're acting very petty right now.

Quote:
The problem with everything you've said in opposition to the stadium idea is that Oakland really does have viable options that are of interest to MLB.

Such feverish commentary about something you have no stake in personally is very strange.
I've never argued that there aren't "viable options", Wolff could build a $50,000,000 stadium in the middle of West Oakland, I'm sure someone could come up with a projection for that project.

I'm only arguing that JLS isn't one of those options for the reasons I stated previously (primarily, not enough cash).

Old 05-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
You're acting very petty right now.
Yes, We have been acting very petty.

Quote:
I've never argued that there aren't "viable options", Wolff could build a $50,000,000 stadium in the middle of West Oakland, I'm sure someone could come up with a projection for that project.

I'm only arguing that JLS isn't one of those options for the reasons I stated previously (primarily, not enough cash).
Okay, I understand your position.

I obviously hope that things work out in Oakland's favor and think a stadium in JLS would be a fantastic idea.

We'll have to wait and see.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
LoL oakland had a chance, but good old moonbeam brown felt that condos should go up in uptown oakland instead of a stadium. Moonbeam had the wacky zaney brainey kooky california idea that gentrification just pops up out of thin air, rather than something spawning a movement. We have seen how new stadiums, att&t, cleveland, the cell, camden yards, etc, have all brought urban dead zones to life.

Oakland slept on the opportunity, they thought they could gamble by sticking to their unconvensional bay area ways of swimming up stream, and they gambled wrong. No one to blame but themselves, oddly enough I imagine the same person truely responsible for ruining the chances of the A's staying in Oakland (moonbeam) will probably get most of the democrat vote.

Now we have ron "do nothing" dellums and his people trying in typical fashion to at the last minute- throw up ,sloppy un organized, non cohesive plans. People say theres room here, theres room there. But who owns these sites, are they willing to sell, are the A's willing to buy, has there been an EIR? Usually the answers are " I donno", or "no".

Dallas braden threw the 19th perfect game in history on sunday, to a 3/4 empty stadium.

It seems that A's fans accept the team needs to be in San Jose to get off the MLB revenue sharing(welfare for baseball) rolls, the only people that cant seem to accept this are Oakland people, who clearly are not buying tickets.

This is america and we play capitalism. Money talks and bs walks.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 05-11-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
LoL oakland had a chance, but good old moonbeam brown felt that condos should go up in uptown oakland instead of a stadium. Moonbeam had the wacky zaney brainey kooky california idea that gentrification just pops up out of thin air, rather than something spawning a movement. We have seen how new stadiums, att&t, cleveland, the cell, camden yards, etc, have all brought urban dead zones to life.
You are correct about Jerry Brown really dropping the ball on this one.

I agree 1 Gazillion percent!!!

This problem could have been solved 10 years ago but he was hellbent on getting 10,000 new residents into Downtown-which I do believe he accomplished. He pushed for the Uptown Project(which recently completed).

The site would have been in Uptown right next to the Fox Theater.

One thing tho, that exact spot is now the hub of Oakland's cultural and artistic renaissance and its been incredibly successful at luring weekend night crawlers and artists into Downtown.

I hope its not too late for JLS.

Quote:
This is america and we play capitalism. Money talks and bs walks.
Considering how nearly every new stadium in the US has been partially funded using billions of tax dollars, I wouldnt laud Capitalism too much in this particular case.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
You are correct about Jerry Brown really dropping the ball on this one.

I agree 1 Gazillion percent!!!

This problem could have been solved 10 years ago but he was hellbent on getting 10,000 new residents into Downtown-which I do believe he accomplished. He pushed for the Uptown Project(which recently completed).

The site would have been in Uptown right next to the Fox Theater.

One thing tho, that exact spot is now the hub of Oakland's cultural and artistic renaissance and its been incredibly successful at luring weekend night crawlers and artists into Downtown.

I hope its not too late for JLS.

Considering how nearly every new stadium in the US has been partially funded using billions of tax dollars, I wouldnt laud Capitalism too much in this particular case.

The thing is if Moonbeam had not slept at the wheel Okland would have had their new stadium and probably 20,000 new residents down town, but alas crying of spilt milk we are.

Good point, even At&t was not completely 100% privately funded, parks never are.

It is too late for jls, maybe 5 years ago before lew and his group bought the team, but not now

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,541 times
Would be nice to let a community that actually has a passion for baseball to get the A's. But for the time being , they will languish with their poor attendance and viewership.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Would be nice to let a community that actually has a passion for baseball to get the A's. But for the time being , they will languish with their poor attendance and viewership.
Pretty much. Oakland has about a 0.00000000002% chance of getting a Jack London Square stadium built in the next 25 years.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
They don't suck, they are in a harder division. If they played in the NL west they'd dominate. The Giants suck and have sucked for years but they draw because it's fun to go to their nice stadium.
Basically.

Giants' fans are more loyal tho imo, less transient.

If Oakland had a nice Downtown stadium near BART, I think that would change the whole dynamic of the team and their fan base. The food options would be stellar Im sure. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland