Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
The Giants suck and have sucked for years but they draw because it's fun to go to their nice stadium.
I went to the A's - Giants series across the Bay earlier this year and there was a Giants fan heckling an A's supporter asking them about their attendance issues and why no one goes to their games.

It was so funny to me because how quickly they forget that at Candlestick Park/3Com/Monster, nobody went either!

You simply cannot expect good attendance consistently, if at all, if your baseball stadium is located in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around it, and no fun to be had before or after games.

Giants fans should know this pretty well: Before AT&T Park = no fans; After AT&T Park = yaaay fans.

Why is it that anyone thinks the Oakland A's are a different monster? Is there a belief that living 8 miles east makes baseball somehow less popular? You're only into baseball if you're living on a peninsula? lol Based on my experience here, I see far more A's hats on kids' heads than I do SF hats. I don't think this is a case of one team being popular and another team being the area's red-headed step child - I see it as one team plays in a wonderful ballpark in a good neighborhood near a lot of restaurants, night life, and city living and another one plays in a dump far away from activity, within walking distance of dirty industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:43 AM

205 posts, read 211,209 times
Exactly

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Everyone also seems to forget that the As won 4 titles in Oakland while the Giants have won ZERO in SF. After the Yankees and Cardinals, no franchise has won more world series (9). Honestly, it's a slap in the face when you take a look at the facilities they have. They and the fans deserve better.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Mr. Fantastic has about a 0.00000000% chance of obtaining a real social life by the time Christ comes back.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Oakland is one of the worst teams in the MLB, and any investor with the money to possibly put into a stadium would rather burn that money in a garbage bin. You would get a better return on investment.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Oakland is one of the worst teams in the MLB, and any investor with the money to possibly put into a stadium would rather burn that money in a garbage bin. You would get a better return on investment.
Wrong.

Reality: Oakland is one of the above average teams in MLB. But that's not quite so catchy, is it?

11 teams in the MLB right now have a worse record than the A's. And the San Francisco Giants? Have a better record by 1 whole game. Maybe they're the 2nd worst team in all of MLB?

The A's were leading the AL West for the first month of the season too until ace Bret Anderson and Justin Duchscherer went on the DL. Unfortunately, Ben Sheets never materialized as a potential ace.

Next year you should see the A's contending for a playoff spot. This year is about 1 year premature with those pitchers, but next year should be very interesting.

My guess, though, is that you have no idea who Bret Anderson, Trevor Cahill, Vin Mazzaro, or Clayton Mortenson are, don't watch baseball and are just taking an opportunity to rail on the city of Oakland some more.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Wrong.

Reality: Oakland is one of the above average teams in MLB.
Being in the bottom 30th percentile is considered "above average" in Oakland?

That actually makes sense, considering the level of achievement the city has made with its fiscal budget, public schooling system, and reducing violent crime.

Let's face it, the only things Oakland excels at are crime, and having a booming funeral home industry.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:52 PM

205 posts, read 211,209 times
Quote:
Being in the bottom 30th percentile is considered "above average" in Oakland?

That actually makes sense, considering the level of achievement the city has made with its fiscal budget, public schooling system, and reducing violent crime.

Let's face it, the only things Oakland excels at are crime, and having a booming funeral home industry.
So what's your next trolling handle going to be about? Bashing LA? San Diego, Seattle, New York? What's next on your pathetic life list of agenda's.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT Oakland View Post
So what's your next trolling handle going to be about? Bashing LA? San Diego, Seattle, New York? What's next on your pathetic life list of agenda's.
Actually I'll be heading to Dana Point this evening to enjoy a seaside meal at a highly rated restaurant.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Actually I'll be heading to Dana Point this evening to enjoy a seaside meal at a highly rated restaurant.
Aren't there some highly-rated restaurants in Mission Viejo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland