Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

It would probably be easier for landlords if there weren't so many flaky people in the Bay Area.

Still, I can show W-2's and check stubs to show my income (which landlords never ask for anyway), I provide past landlord references and the phone number to my firm's HR department if the landlord wants to call them and confirm my income and length of employment, I provide my credit report, and I still don't get a call back from the landlord, no doubt because so many other people are applying and the landlord can pick whoever they want. But again it's annoying when I see the same place listed again a couple weeks later when I know that I and many other people who applied would be perfectly good tenants, but the landlord is just being ridiculous and waiting for Prince Charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 PM

358 posts, read 1,036,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It would probably be easier for landlords if there weren't so many flaky people in the Bay Area.
Flaky isn't just the Bay Area. I had rental property in Jersey City, NJ and people there had no issues with being "no shows" for appointments to look at apartments. Its just the nature of the business.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJollyWag View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to find a place in the East Bay in a couple of months, and I've noticed that many of the ads on craiglist mentioned to come during an open house. Being from an Upper Midwest city where open houses are not the norm (at least in terms of apartments, and I've never owned a home so I don't know how they really work, period), could somebody please explain how they work? Do people just show up, and the landlord takes 10 people on a tour of the property? Is a coin flipped if two different would-be tenants are interested in renting the place?
I probably shouldn't be confused, but I am, and I'll only have a couple days to look once I travel out there.

Thanks!
If the place listed for an Open House is in Berkeley, then you will be dealing with a particularly picky landlord. If a landlord is smart enough to have an "open house' consider that a good sign.
Lots of landlords in Berkeley are kind of clueless, and waay flaky themselves.
The tenants rights in Berkeley are stronger than the landlord's rights generally, so If you are looking at a decent place with a landlord who is doing the open house, then that's a good thing.
Depending on where it is in proximity to the UC campus, figure the landlords have been screwed by college kids at one point or another and are simply trying to protect themselves by meeting all potential renters and going with their gut along with their financial info.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
If you show up with copies of your credit reports, bank statements, pay stubs, landlord references, and other applicable information, you will stand head and shoulders above the crowd of applicants. I did this a few years ago when looking for an apartment in SF. The landlord at the place I liked best offered to stop the open house immediately if I wanted to rent it. I took him up on the offer. He turned out to be the best landlord I've ever had.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
That's an interesting point, and one that may save some time for potential renters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
If you show up with copies of your credit reports, bank statements, pay stubs, landlord references, and other applicable information, you will stand head and shoulders above the crowd of applicants. I did this a few years ago when looking for an apartment in SF. The landlord at the place I liked best offered to stop the open house immediately if I wanted to rent it. I took him up on the offer. He turned out to be the best landlord I've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland