Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,238 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with a small child and looking to buy a home up to 500K in the area. Husband works in office near embarcadeo and wouldn't mind a 45 - 1 hour commute .
we don't mind living outside and i will stay home with the baby.
any suggestions on anything affordable single family home and the areas .
school is not an issue at this time since he is 1.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 PM

197 posts, read 667,541 times
If you are moving I'd recommend renting first and deciding what area you want to live in. The cost of a home here is a huge investment and you probably will want to stay in that home for at least 5-10 years so that means you should factor the schools into your decision. Prices aren't going up substantially any time soon (if they go up at all) so it doesn't hurt to wait a little bit before you buy.

If you are really set on buying then you need to decide if you are willing to get a condo or townhouse instead of a single family home. Settling for a condo or townhouse at that price range greatly increases the amount of homes available to you.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I agree with jrb, maybe rent for a year and get used to the area and then decide where to buy. 500k would be too low for a nice house in San Francisco and some suburbs but it might get you a decent place in one of the outer suburbs. A condo in SF or the burbs might be around that price but that is only good if you feel like a condo.

Yesterday I saw an article saying that San Francisco is one of the few cities in the US where it still makes more sense to rent than to buy, if you buy you can end up spending twice in monthly costs than what you would spend on rent for a comparable place. The suburbs can be a lot cheaper than SF though but it is still pricy.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,977 times
I agree, I would rent first and make sure you scope out all of the cities before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland