Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I wasn't saying they were the same (why can't I get this across?), in fact I've said exactly what you're saying in past threads about SF vs Seattle's climate. What I was saying is, it is the next closest after So Cal RELATIVELY SPEAKING. After So Cal, it would be Seattle that is next closest. Unless Boise, Reno, Phoenix or Salt Lake City are somehow more similar?

Are we clear now?
Don't you know that we are intentionally messing with your head, Gentoo?

Actually, anywhere along the immediate California coastline is fairly similar to the climate of San Francisco [especially areas that are directly effected by the wind]. Monterey comes to mind, for example. But once past Pt. Conception the climate takes on a more subtropical characteristic due to warmer ocean temps\ lower wind and less clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
His other posts are off base, but a LOT of people enjoy seasons, SF does not have a summer OR a winter. So if you like that, you are SOL. It rarely gets over 70 or under 40 for more than a few hours, and this can be said all the way up the coast to Eureka if you are on the ocean. Also it is jacket weather at night year round.
I generally agree with you except that it rarely gets above 60 (not 70) for more than few hours. Above 70 temp happens only a handful number of days even in the warmest parts of the city. The western half of the city is almost never above 60! If you add the lack of sun and foggy/wet conditions to this cold weather, it is pretty dreary weather year round!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I generally agree with you except that it rarely gets above 60 (not 70) for more than few hours. Above 70 temp happens only a handful number of days even in the warmest parts of the city. The western half of the city is almost never above 60! If you add the lack of sun and foggy/wet conditions to this cold weather, it is pretty dreary weather year round!
A bit dramatic, and contrary to statistical data and personal observation, but I'd say it's above 60 most of the year, but below 70. The average this time of year is, I believe, about 63 in the City from what they recently said on TV, and that's the coldest city in the Bay Area.

In any case, it's a trade-off: do you want to live in a suburb like San Jose, where the average temp this time of year is a nice 78, and be bored out of your mind, or put up with the light sweater weather of the City and have fun? Personally, my goal is to move to southern Marin for the warm sunshine and 15 minute drive into the cold, foggy city. I don't need fun every day, but I don't want to be far away!

I'd say nobody should HAVE to complain about SF's weather, because there's a microclimate here for everyone. If you don't like the weather in your neighborhood, then move a few miles away to the one you do like. Nobody has to put up with one microclimate or another, just find the one they like.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Your credibility would vastly improve if you at least consulted the facts

Average maximum\ minimums:
Jan: 58°F\ 46°F
Feb: 61°F\ 49°F
Mar: 62°F\ 49°F
Apr: 65°F 50°F
May: 65°F 51°F
Jun
: 68°F\ 53°F
Jul: 68°F\ 54°F
Aug: 69°F\ 56°F
Sep: 71°F\ 56°F
Oct: 70°F\ 55°F
Nov: 64°F\ 51°F
Dec:
59°F\ 47°F
Monthly Averages for San Francisco, CA - weather.com

When I know nothing on a certain subject, I defer to others. Only a troll would promote lies! Why are impostors always from Texas? Are you that unhappy living in Dallas because clearly you do not live in California.

Here's Dallas' climate where you live:

Average maximum\ minimum:
Jan: 55°F\ 36°F
Feb: 61°F\ 41°F
Mar: 69°F\ 49°F
Apr: 77°F\ 56°F
May:
84°F\ 65°F
Jun: 92°F\ 73°F
Jul: 96°F\ 77°F
Aug: 96°F\ 76°F
Sep: 89°F\ 69°F
Oct: 79°F\ 58°F
Nov: 66°F\ 47°F
Dec: 57°F\ 39°F
Monthly Averages for Dallas, TX - weather.com

Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Wrong. Your credibility would vastly improve if you at least consulted the facts

Average maximum\ minimums:
Jan: 58°F\ 46°F
Feb: 61°F\ 49°F
Mar: 62°F\ 49°F
Apr: 65°F 50°F
May: 65°F 51°F
Jun
: 68°F\ 53°F
Jul: 68°F\ 54°F
Aug: 69°F\ 56°F
Sep: 71°F\ 56°F
Oct: 70°F\ 55°F
Nov: 64°F\ 51°F
Dec:
59°F\ 47°F
Monthly Averages for San Francisco, CA - weather.com

When I know nothing on a certain subject, I defer to others. Only a troll would promote lies! Why are impostors always from Texas? Are you that unhappy living in Dallas because clearly you do not live in California.

Here's Dallas' climate where you live:

Average maximum\ minimum:
Jan: 55°F\ 36°F
Feb: 61°F\ 41°F
Mar: 69°F\ 49°F
Apr: 77°F\ 56°F
May:
84°F\ 65°F
Jun: 92°F\ 73°F
Jul: 96°F\ 77°F
Aug: 96°F\ 76°F
Sep: 89°F\ 69°F
Oct: 79°F\ 58°F
Nov: 66°F\ 47°F
Dec: 57°F\ 39°F
Monthly Averages for Dallas, TX - weather.com
First of all I moved to SF from Dallas you m*ron! and even with those numbers I will take Dallas weather anyday over SF. FYI, the western half of SF is 5-10 degree cooler than the numbers you posted and is sunny at most 20% a year!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM

282 posts, read 382,250 times
Quote:
First of all I moved to SF from Dallas you m*ron! and even with those numbers I will take Dallas weather anyday over SF. FYI, the western half of SF is 5-10 degree cooler than the numbers you posted and is sunny at most 20% a year!
For your sake and ours, why don't you move back to Dallas?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Two things: First, please prove your point about the "western half of SF." There may be some stations in the Sunset district [actually all over the city]. Perhaps you could check weather sites like AccuWeather. Unless you can provide the data, you are only guessing. And my "guess" is that you are generally wrong [after reading many of your posts]. You seem more emotion-driven to me [rather than a thoughtful person].

Second point. Anybody moving to California or specifically San Francisco would be thrilled to live in such an interesting\ beautiful region. I don't believe you because all you post are exaggerated attacks. Coming from Dallas, you are either a liberal or a conservative. Dallas liberals love California for everything that Texas isn't. A conservative from Texas probably would never move to California and certainly not San Francisco. What you post doesn't make sense and if it doesn't make sense than it is not true. Honestly, I don't know what your problem is but I have encountered other people who hate California so much that they will actually lie about living here in the hope that people will believe their slander. You fail miserably by over-paying your hand. And anyway, what's so horrible about Texas that you are unwilling to admit that you still live in Dallas?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Don't you know that we are intentionally messing with your head, Gentoo?

Actually, anywhere along the immediate California coastline is fairly similar to the climate of San Francisco [especially areas that are directly effected by the wind]. Monterey comes to mind, for example. But once past Pt. Conception the climate takes on a more subtropical characteristic due to warmer ocean temps\ lower wind and less clouds.
Pretty much yeah although there are certain very small areas that are cooler and breezier right along the coast. As I've mentioned before, La Jolla comes to minf and I think parts of the LA county coast may be like this too. You would know more about that than I would.

What's interesting is that it begins cooler off again in northern Baja. Ensenada is quite cool. Once you go south of LA, there is a cooling effect going south. SD is cooler than LA and Ensenada is cooler than SD, almost SF cool. Then it starts warming up again as you keep going south.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Lies!!!!!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Pretty much yeah although there are certain very small areas that are cooler and breezier right along the coast. As I've mentioned before, La Jolla comes to minf and I think parts of the LA county coast may be like this too. You would know more about that than I would.

What's interesting is that it begins cooler off again in northern Baja. Ensenada is quite cool. Once you go south of LA, there is a cooling effect going south. SD is cooler than LA and Ensenada is cooler than SD, almost SF cool. Then it starts warming up again as you keep going south.
There's minimal difference in coastal temps anywhere from Pt. Conception through Northern Baja. San Diego-at the coast-is no warmer or cooler than L.A.-at the coast. One can easily find data that suggests, in general, SD is cooler than L.A. But this data would not break down temps by location within each city. Temps at LAX are going to be mostly identical to temps at Lindbergh. But, temps in dowtown L.A., Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Burbank etc will all be higher than the SD coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland