Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Churches and AA meetings would be the best places to go, and the "New Age" element of AA make it liberal-friendly. Also some churches are more liberal than others.

Bet there aren't too many weed smokers at mosques! (though probably not too many social liberals)
I don't know if you are joking with this comment or not? Its sometimes hard to tell on forums when you can't see a person's expression. But I'll agree that churches are a good place to meet more folks who don't toke. And churches come in many flavors from liberal to conservative. With regards to hanging out at AA meetings to meet ppl, are you serious? I mean really how many young ppl want to go and do that? There are surely other/better avenues to meet like minded ppl.

Although I'm definately no longer in my 20s, as a CA native pot was a very common thing while growing up. Ok, I'm a child of the 60s. So I guess that makes me old. Yes its a part of the culture here more than other states, especially near the Emerald Triangle. But within the larger populous you can still find ppl of like minds. You just have to know where to look. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to associate with ppl who aren't into smoking weed. I mean just from a health and lung perspective it makes more sense to avoid without even getting into the whole debate on drug usage, suporting Mexican cartels, etc...

But yes, it may get legalized for better or worse. And even if it doesn't it will remain apart of the culture at large, and not just in CA. Remember even Slick Willy admitted to smoking the funny green stuff, of course without inhaling.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
People behind the Orange Curtain smoke weed just like their Bay Area counterparts, including a Congressman who is one of the most prominent Republicans in California and known as "the biggest stoner in the House". The surfer/hippie culture in the '60s existed in OC, too, and many of those ex-hippie types have continued to smoke weed even though they've moved to the right. Many of them just don't admit it but they do it.
I know people smoke weed in Orange county. What I meant mostly by "curtain" was the political divide [Mr Fantastic quickly reveals his Republican credentials & puts everything he says in perspective]. But, on the other hand, I don't think there are very many marijuana dispensaries in Orange county [they've got to crossed over into LA county for their bud

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
Why would we post facts to argue the for or against argument in a thread that isn't even about that topic and the OP stated that she isn't interested in having that discussion.

Perhaps you and Mr. Fantastic should go to one of the other threads where that is actually being discussed and participate there and look at all of the information already posted that would fit into what you just said.
Funny how Mr. F decides to post a few links in here to try and make his view point valid while ignoring the 10+ page thread about legalization in CA in the same forum area.

Feeding a troll and backing opinion with facts in an actual conversation are two totally different things, if the troll wants to be fed and shot down then he can take the effort to find the right thread at least.
Iceman is a total troll who is only intruding to bad mouth California [no interest in the topic, he is here merely to cause trouble!!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 PM

358 posts, read 394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Iceman is a total troll who is only intruding to bad mouth California [no interest in the topic, he is here merely to cause trouble!!
Lol =) glad to see you trying to badmouth me again, about all you can do.. oh BTW I am still waiting on your numbers on about 3 other threads. Don't worry, I will not hold my breath. Maybe one day you will grow up to be a real adult And just so you know, I love California.. just wish we could change some things about it. Thats why I vote every election, write my Rep, discuss issues concerning the past, present and future of this great state. Unlike some people I actually try and educate myself on the issues at hand, not to mention real life experience has helped along the way. I won't hold your comments against you Sur, you amuse me.

Last edited by Iceman82; 05-26-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Huh. Mr. Fantastic (great name BTW) is the only person here supporting their opinion with verifiable FACTS it's refreshing to know people still use fact and logic when coming to conclusions. I could care less if you are high as a kite.. just do it in your own home. I know alot of people that smoke weed, grow weed, sheesh.. if you only knew. But they keep it to themselves and don't do it around others. Being discreet is key, along with respecting others legal rights. Now if anyone has an issue with what Mr. Fantastic has to say.. instead of attacking him personally start posting solid verifiable facts. I don't sit here and talk crap about you because you want to legalize it, and I expect others to respect him as a person.. we are all entitled to our opinions, his is the only one on this thread that holds water.. he's the only one posting FACTS
As a man of science, I find it's easier to just lay facts on the table, than try to form an argument based on an emotional attachment to the subject at hand. I wish more people would cling to this concept, but I guess they're too busy smoking pot.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know people smoke weed in Orange county. What I meant mostly by "curtain" was the political divide [Mr Fantastic quickly reveals his Republican credentials & puts everything he says in perspective]. But, on the other hand, I don't think there are very many marijuana dispensaries in Orange county [they've got to crossed over into LA county for their bud
Dana Rohrabacher, the Congressman I was referring to, has written a bill in the House to legalize on a federal level. At least he's no longer being a hypocrite on the marijuana issue as he was back in the '80s when he was a firm supporter of the War on Drugs in Congress.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
As a man of science, I find it's easier to just lay facts on the table, than try to form an argument based on an emotional attachment to the subject at hand. I wish more people would cling to this concept, but I guess they're too busy smoking pot.
If you were truly a man of science, you would not be trolling an internet forum every day with lies and misinformation (and i'm not just reffering to the weed argument). Look at some research done on marijuana that has not been funded by the federal government, who obviously DON'T want marijuana to become legal, and so make sure their studies will have results that back them and their drug war. Weed is not some sort of miracle drug, and it can cause problems for some people, especially if it's abused. It would be foolish to deny that...but it has many benifits too, and is inherently much less dangerous and harmful than say, alcohol or tobbaco. To deny that is to deny science, mr. "man of science."

Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
First off, the study I cited was done at Harvard University, and funded by NIH. A lot of health grants are funded by this government agency.

You simply don't know much about NIH funded studies, and the type of review process these grants are required to go through. The only foolish thing anyone could do would be to listen to a lazy pothead who spends too much time on the internet trying to defend his nasty, criminal habit.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 AM

282 posts, read 382,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not necessarily, but the op wants a drug free group of friends but is very liberal, yes, conservatives do pot as well (not usually anything else, I say not usually) but most libs in Ca are pot smokers. My point, she would have trouble finding what she is looking for in the bay area, add to it her liberal views and it will be even harder. This is not saying only libs smoke pot..

Nita
LOL @ Most Liberals are pot smokers. Can we see the stats for that please?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
First off, the study I cited was done at Harvard University, and funded by NIH. A lot of health grants are funded by this government agency.

You simply don't know much about NIH funded studies, and the type of review process these grants are required to go through. The only foolish thing anyone could do would be to listen to a lazy pothead who spends too much time on the internet trying to defend his nasty, criminal habit.
Hey mang, Harvard also sez:

THC (marijuana) helps cure cancer says Harvard study

THC (marijuana) helps cure cancer says Harvard study | NowPublic News Coverage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland