Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I'm saying that metrics that track sales by ethnicity are very hard to come by. So making any claim based on an uncited article is dubious at best.
It's only dubious because you've decided that it is. Stats are something that you constantly harp on and now that someone has thrown them in your face, you have no argument what so ever. Careful what you ask for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point. If the humor had no inkling of truth, no one would have laughed.

That's why I respect Chris Rock, he's all about taking ownership rather than passing the buck. Chris Rock didn't get rich by blaming white people for everything bad that happens to blacks.
No one ever said that that this humor didn't have an "inkling of truth". In Fact, I recall many saying the opposite and that there are problems in the black community, Oakland in particular which this was really all about in the first place. What people are having a problem with is you attempting to make the entire black culture and Oakland as a whole look like that's the majority which any sensible person knows is idiotic.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The fact that one has to "lower" their standards to make a buck shows how sad things have gotten. Maybe that is the same situation with crime. If a person is willing to do something heinous to make a buck(or at the least, survive), there are many things going wrong.
You're right. There's certainly a much bigger problem here

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM

282 posts, read 382,073 times
Trashtastic has to be the biggest loser to log onto the internet. To spend so many hours out of his life to troll to the pathetic levels he has is embarrassing to say the least. He's mentally ill , ignore him.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Maybe it is hard, but why do revenues dry up in many cities? Why are the schools taking the hardest hits?
Another question is: Why does it always have to be that the poorest persons get the worst schools? Why should that be?
Revenues are drying up because of a variety of reasons; less property tax revenue due to the amount of homes that have been foreclosed, less tax revenue because of the amount of people who are unemployed, are two very big reasons.

Schools take a "hard hit" obviously because they are publicly funded entities.

The "worst" schools is also a very subjective term. Generally what people call the worst schools are those with low API scores. However there are instances where there are schools with mediocre API scores but they exist in well funded school districts. So the connection you're trying to make between academic achievement and income level of the students parents isn't one that works all the time.

When it comes down to it, funding for public schools is a complex issue because everyone thinks they "want" more funding for better books, computers, and even teachers.

But how many are willing to accept a nominal increase in sales tax?

What about an expansion of things that can be taxed?

You see, bureaucrats are all about trying to get more funding for schools, it's great PR. But the money has to come from somewhere. So whenever you get another version of "HB174" on your ballot asking for more of your money for schools through an increase in taxes, make sure you vote yes.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's only dubious because you've decided that it is. Stats are something that you constantly harp on and now that someone has thrown them in your face, you have no argument what so ever. Careful what you ask for
I don't care if people bring up facts cited from valid metrics. I think it makes things much easier to discuss, it's something I learned as a PhD candidate.

Where things get difficult is when people "make up" stats, or bring up statistics from uncited sources. This is frowned upon in the academic community.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No one ever said that that this humor didn't have an "inkling of truth". In Fact, I recall many saying the opposite and that there are problems in the black community, Oakland in particular which this was really all about in the first place. What people are having a problem with is you attempting to make the entire black culture and Oakland as a whole look like that's the majority which any sensible person knows is idiotic.
How truthful something is, especially in this case, is hard to quantify. I never said the entire black race was poor, and crime filled, neither is Chris Rock. In fact, 18Montclair made that connection herself when she said "all black people are suffering the effects of slavery which explains the high crime in black communities."

As I said, that's more insulting than anything the KKK could come up with.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
when people "make up" stats,
Quote:
the small percentage of rich are separating themselves from the poor blacks
Quote:
People don't move to nice communities because they want to be next to rich people, it's because they don't want to be next to ghetto people
Quote:
Oakland has a comparable murder rate to Fallujah, Iraq
Quote:
Bars usually attract noise and crime
Quote:
The majority of people who eat out all the time are usually lazy, and overweight.
Quote:
still better than Oakland where most of the swill bars are simply cover ups for prostitution rings and drug cutting operations.
Quote:
I'm educated, and well mannered

Quote:
I'm educated, and well mannered

ok, I can't go on any longer LOL

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Have you checked the murder rate in Fallujah Iraq? Because I have and Oakland, California is neck and neck with that city.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
How truthful something is, especially in this case, is hard to quantify. I never said the entire black race was poor, and crime filled, neither is Chris Rock.
No, you don't say black people, you are careful by saying the black "community" which is obviously a euphamism for the entire group.

Which is despicable, but not a surprise considering its coming from you.

Quote:
In fact, 18Montclair made that connection herself when she said "all black people are suffering the effects of slavery which explains the high crime in black communities."
You won't find one comment where I said ALL black people are suffering from the effects of slavery.

Its becoming clear that your main problem is that you insist on throwing everyone into neat little boxes. Cities are either entirely good or entirely bad-we see that with your idiotic and ignorant comments about Oakland and now this complex of yours is manifesting itself again with how you are so convinced that all Black people are the same.

Quite being a nimrod and open your eyes to the reality-that people go through different things and they react differently, not always in accordance with your wishes, Oh omnipotent one.

And Larry Elder, Chris Rock and even Bill Cosby will NEVER dispute exactly what my contention has been from the beginning regarding the origins of Black poverty and crime in the US.

It began as a result of how they were treated. Period.

You cannot dispute, deny or deflect from that simple and historical fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland