U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM

12,388 posts, read 10,377,534 times
Thanks nineties flava, that's what I thought. I can't rep you again though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,901,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Nope... in the news.

Consortiumnews.com

"[SIZE=3]nother crack in the defensive wall opened when the Justice Department released a report by its inspector general, Michael Bromwich. Given the hostile climate surrounding Webb’s series, Bromwich’s report opened with criticism of Webb. But, like the CIA’s Volume One, the contents revealed new details about government wrongdoing.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]According to evidence cited by the report, the Reagan-Bush administration knew almost from the outset of the contra war that cocaine traffickers permeated the paramilitary operation. The administration also did next to nothing to expose or stop the criminal activities. The report revealed example after example of leads not followed, corroborated witnesses disparaged, official law-enforcement investigations sabotaged, and even the CIA facilitating the work of drug traffickers."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0fLa2y48g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]^John Kerry talking about the contradiction between the War on Drugs and what was actually happening[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/121304_gary_webb.shtml[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]^the reporter who broke the story on the connection between the CIA and drug trafficking "comitted suicide" six years ago... What makes this particularly interesting is the blackballing at the hands of the mainstream media he received in the years before he died[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb
[/SIZE]
Do you use any credible websites when you cite anything?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,901,277 times
You could also point out the statistics like this:

Oakland - 1,968.4 (29.8% black)
East Palo Alto - 1,098.1 (22.3% black)
Richmond - 1,074.9 (28.5% black)
Sacramento - 997.7 (14.0% black)
Vallejo - 953.8 (21.6% black)
Antioch - 868.9 (17.0% black)
San Leandro - 662.2 (13% black)
Fairfield - 520.4 (16.8% black)

NATIONAL VIOLENT CRIME AVERAGE - 454.5

Out of the Top 5, 3 cities have large black populations. So his point still really does stand.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM

12,388 posts, read 10,377,534 times
You know Mr. Craptastic, I have finally tired of you. You are one miserable excuse for a person. You are a waste of vital organs and a complete miss-use of human life. I am completely offended by the fact that you're alive. In what way do you have the right the breathe the same air I do or drink the same water? You're a racist retard who has nothing better to do but attempt to make others feel bad about where they live or who they are. You're one of God's few mistakes. One of his experiments that went terribly wrong! It's people like you that give the rest of us a reason to never feel bad about ourselves regardless of our plight in life. I now have to add you to my ignore list because if I don't, CD will surely ban me from this forum because what I've said to you is only the tip of the iceberg. Respond to this how ever many times you choose. I am done with your racist and ignorant ass.

Sorry to everyone else for this emotional rant but I had to say this. If CD moderators feel the need to repremand me I understand but this needed to be said. If I'm allowed to remain here it won't happen again.

Sorry again,

Shonn

Last edited by Gentoo; 06-02-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 AM

11,940 posts, read 13,023,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I know i'm a little late to quote this post, but your perception of the most high-crime NorCal cities isn't completely in line with reality...

Here are all cities of 50,000 or more residents in Nor Cal/the central valley with above-average violent crime rates, ranked by violent crime rate per 100,000 residents (with EPA thrown in for comparison's sake). All cities with black populations that are below the national average (12.3%) are bolded:

Oakland - 1,968.4 (29.8% black)
Stockton - 1,474.7 (12.0% black)
East Palo Alto - 1,098.1 (22.3% black)
Richmond - 1,074.9 (28.5% black)
San Francisco - 1,024.2 (6.5% black)
Sacramento - 997.7 (14.0% black)
Vallejo - 953.8 (21.6% black)
Antioch - 868.9 (17.0% black)
Santa Cruz - 807.2 (1.4% black)
Madera - 805.1 (4.0% black)
Merced - 778.6 (6.3% black)
Salinas - 731.6 (1.9% black)
tulare - 720.5 (4.7% black)
Modesto - 699.4 (3.8% black)
Redding - 698.7 (1.4% black)
San Leandro - 662.2 (13% black)
turlock - 656.7 (1.6% black)
Berkeley - 644.5 (9.9% black)
Bakersfield - 637.0 (8.4% blac)
Hayward - 615.7 (12.1% black)
Union City - 599.4 (6.3% black)
Fresno - 584.8 (8% black)
Fairfield - 520.4 (16.8% black)
Santa Rosa - 484.9 (1.8% black)
NATIONAL VIOLENT CRIME AVERAGE - 454.5

and then, many more cities down the list, there's...

Pittsburg - 322.6 (17.4% black)

...As you can see, those numbers don't really support your lame view that "more black" = "more crime"

For example, two of the cities you mentioned DO have some of the highest black populations (as a percentage) for CA cities, yet one is barely above the national average for violent crime (Fairfield) and the other is well below the national average (Pittsburg). Were you expecting them to be high crime just becuase of their demographics or something? How would you explain the fact that Redding, which is over 80% white, and only 1.4% black, has over twice the violent crime rate as Pittsburg, which is 17.4% black?
Not to mention that Santa Cruz is over 75% white and has almost three times the violent crime rate of Pittsburg....

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM

49,278 posts, read 45,802,045 times
the strange drop in crime since recession is not unique to oakland. i have not heard a rational explanation yet.
even at 1/2 drop rate-- oakland is not disneyland at lake merritt after dark.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You know Mr. Craptastic, I have finally tired of you. You are one miserable excuse for a person. You are a waste of vital organs and a complete miss-use of human life. I am completely offended by the fact that you're alive. In what way do you have the right the breathe the same air I do or drink the same water? You're a racist retard who has nothing better to do but attempt to make others feel bad about where they live or who they are. You're one of God's few mistakes. One of his experiments that went terribly wrong! It's people like you that give the rest of us a reason to never feel bad about ourselves regardless of our plight in life. I now have to add you to my ignore list because if I don't, CD will surely ban me from this forum because what I've said to you is only the tip of the iceberg. Respond to this how ever many times you choose. I am done with your racist and ignorant ass.

Sorry to everyone else for this emotional rant but I had to say this. If CD moderators feel the need to repremand me I understand but this needed to be said. If I'm allowed to remain here it won't happen again.

Sorry again,

Shonn
I agree with everything you're saying and think that Mr. Craptastic is a juvenile, immature racist with no respect for truth, and I question whether he ever even got a Ph. D. from UC Berkeley. He probably dropped out of Saddleback College in the very un-viejo Mission Viejo, one of the most soulless and ahistorical places in California. He has shown himself to know nothing about Oakland. He'd be better off on Stormfront than City-Data.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the strange drop in crime since recession is not unique to oakland. i have not heard a rational explanation yet.
even at 1/2 drop rate-- oakland is not disneyland at lake merritt after dark.
Bad economic times traditionally have generated more property crime, but have little or no relation to violent crime.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 AM

6,913 posts, read 6,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Do you use any credible websites when you cite anything?

Do you ever have a decent comeback? Your last spiel about rap (which you obviously don't know jack **** about) was equally misinformed, and FOX News agreed with me (that the vast majority of people who buy rap are white teenagers), as did the RAP BILLBOARDS.

THE FORMER HEAD OF THE DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) ADMITTED THAT GARY WEBB WAS RIGHT.

YouTube - Ex-DEA Head Admits CIA Imported Cocaine

Seriously... what good is that PHD doing you when you can't accept the facts that are in front of you? This goes for all of your rants...

You're officially on ignore.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 AM

26,647 posts, read 21,816,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Do you ever have a decent comeback? Your last spiel about rap (which you obviously don't know jack **** about) was equally misinformed, and FOX News agreed with me (that the vast majority of people who buy rap are white teenagers), as did the RAP BILLBOARDS.

THE FORMER HEAD OF THE DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) ADMITTED THAT GARY WEBB WAS RIGHT.

YouTube - Ex-DEA Head Admits CIA Imported Cocaine

Seriously... what good is that PHD doing you when you can't accept the facts that are in front of you? This goes for all of your rants...

You're officially on ignore.
Thank you for that evidence. Whenever I think about the crack epidemic, I think about anything that could have been. What if the crack epidemic had never happened? Would Oakland had such high rates of violence as it has had through these last few decades? Or would Oakland been able to come back from the industrial demise that afflicted other cities. Better yet, what about those cities as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland