U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 7,998 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to the Bay Area and have settled on Oakland. I've liked the Bay on the times I've been through, and Oakland looks to be affordable while still having plenty going on in the city.

I won't have car for the first few months in town, and I am aware of the BART, so I'm looking for something close to some pickup spots.

Stuff I Do:

Run my own booking/tour management company
Freelance Writing
Play Music (Heavy Psych punk/rock)
DJ
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 PM

25,079 posts, read 32,511,080 times
West Oakland in general seems to have a lot going on for several years now as far as the arts.

I would focus my search near the BART station if you arent going to have a car. Ya know, Even 5 years ago I would have warned against such a thing but there is a huge renaissance going on and if you can envision Brooklyn at the time it was going thru its infusion of arts-then you can understand the sort of environment your moving into.

Its industrial, and lower income, mixed with lots of edgier arts. It is very evident after even one visit that you have all 3 mixed together in the neighborhood.

If you would like a more concentrated arts scene, let me suggest the Uptown Area-there is a lot of activity there and Im sure you can find reasonable rents.

Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,969,009 times
If you are moving to West Oakland, make sure to wear Kevlar armor, and perhaps carry a handgun of some kind. It has one of the highest murder rates in the entire country. It's basically a war zone there right now, and with Oakland facing a $31,000,000 deficit, it's not going to get better.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
If you are moving to West Oakland, make sure to wear Kevlar armor, and perhaps carry a handgun of some kind. It has one of the highest murder rates in the entire country. It's basically a war zone there right now, and with Oakland facing a $31,000,000 deficit, it's not going to get better.
You seem to look for the worst in any city you post about. I've been all over the country, and stayed in what some consider to be ''rough'' neighborhoods. It comes with the work I do, which is tour management and booking for mostly underground bands (from all over the world, last band was from France in March/April; the tour I start next week is with a band from Scotland).

Alas, I've never had any trouble. You know why? I'm very in tune culturally, which seems like it's not yr steez whatsoever. A ton of the best elements in any city can be found by hitting the streets and going ham with locals. Uptown/scale arts culture is also fun, it's best to mixxx it up.

Demonizing cities/cultures over stats is lame.

Naw mean dawgg??

Excuse me while I smoke some Sour D.

Things you will not understand:

''steez''
''going ham''
''Sour D''

Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
West Oakland in general seems to have a lot going on for several years now as far as the arts.

I would focus my search near the BART station if you arent going to have a car. Ya know, Even 5 years ago I would have warned against such a thing but there is a huge renaissance going on and if you can envision Brooklyn at the time it was going thru its infusion of arts-then you can understand the sort of environment your moving into.

Its industrial, and lower income, mixed with lots of edgier arts. It is very evident after even one visit that you have all 3 mixed together in the neighborhood.

If you would like a more concentrated arts scene, let me suggest the Uptown Area-there is a lot of activity there and Im sure you can find reasonable rents.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:45 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,969,009 times
I don't think being able to use local colloquialisms is being "in tune" culturally. I think you've just been lucky that no one pointed their gun at you because they mistook you for someone that owed them money.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM

371 posts, read 261,892 times
You should really check out Soundwave studios (http://soundwavestudios.wordpress.com/) Metallica,Green Day,Alicia Keys,and so many others have practiced/recorded there. They have a ton of studios at their big building (not on the site) maybe 100 some odd studios and they do live gigs at their other location (as seen on the site) about a mile away. I really don't think there's much of a scene to promote in from a pound the pavement sense(last I checked). Most that live in WO cannot afford to live anywhere else since WO is probably the cheapest in Oakland to live in. Can't fail Cafe is down the way and owned by one of the guys from Green Day...probably a decent place to promote AND have a Guinness milk shake! Outside of that I'd say hop on Bart and hit Berkeley as well as the Haight in Sf.

West Oakland is a bad place. You more than likely won't find yourself mingling with many people unless you look like you fit in (African American). I'd like to think I get along with most but feel the majority of folks in WO are playing angles and trying to get over on outsiders (lots of crack and growers in WO). If you want to play it safe and don't have a car try to be off the street by dark. Lots of people that don't care in WO and even more with the economy how it is!

Oh ya my bud grows sour d for the local club...check it out when you get here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland