Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:28 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

My wife, Daughter, her fiance', and I returned home today from San Francisco to Maine. We spent a week in Napa before spending three days in the city. San Francisco is an interesting city. People were VERY friendly and helpful to us! We took in a Giants game (they won). We sampled the local food, (liked the Dungeness crab!) and did the touristy things, Pier 39, Coit tower, China town, the bridge, Lombard Street, minus the Alcatraz trip as it was sold out for the holiday weekend.
We stayed on Nob Hill and found it fairly easy to get around town. We have friends there and had a lovely dinner at their place on Thursday evening.
Two recommendations to San Francisco.... Get rid of the panhandlers and homeless all around the city. They detract greatly from your city. Especially the hoards of them sleeping all over Union square and on the piers. We had grown accustomed to NOT being solicited when walking city streets. It is a real black eye on an otherwise very nice city.
Second point.... stop trying to make New England style clam chowder!!! You don't have a clue how to make it correctly.....NO spices, and NO celery in authentic New England chowders! Call your version San Francisco clam chowder and be proud of it! It's NOT like ours!
Nice time, nice town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 PM

12 posts, read 29,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My wife, Daughter, her fiance', and I returned home today from San Francisco to Maine. We spent a week in Napa before spending three days in the city. San Francisco is an interesting city. People were VERY friendly and helpful to us! We took in a Giants game (they won). We sampled the local food, (liked the Dungeness crab!) and did the touristy things, Pier 39, Coit tower, China town, the bridge, Lombard Street, minus the Alcatraz trip as it was sold out for the holiday weekend.
We stayed on Nob Hill and found it fairly easy to get around town. We have friends there and had a lovely dinner at their place on Thursday evening.
Two recommendations to San Francisco.... Get rid of the panhandlers and homeless all around the city. They detract greatly from your city. Especially the hoards of them sleeping all over Union square and on the piers. We had grown accustomed to NOT being solicited when walking city streets. It is a real black eye on an otherwise very nice city.
Second point.... stop trying to make New England style clam chowder!!! You don't have a clue how to make it correctly.....NO spices, and NO celery in authentic New England chowders! Call your version San Francisco clam chowder and be proud of it! It's NOT like ours!
Nice time, nice town.
Get rid of the panhandlers and the homeless? S.F. has been very friendly to them and that keeps attracting more of them to S.F. I doubt they will ever leave.

SF Gate: Chronicle Homeless Special

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
As for the homeless...this is, alas, one of the things this city is known for. I guess most people think that this city is just a rich person's mecca - which it is for many - but it also has one of the most acute homeless problems of any city in the entire nation. You haven't even seen but a tiny fraction of what it's like here - if you down along parts of Market and Mission corridors or down around the Tenderloin (which, for your safety, I would not recommend), you will see commonplace examples of human misery the likes of which you might not even have thought possible in this country.

On a lighter note, regarding the food... this city is not known for clam chowder or really even seafood, so don't waste your time next time you're here. I hope you weren't trying to get good local food down in Fisherman's Wharf, because honestly most locals avoid that grotesque tourist trap and eat at much better places around town. We have an awesome restaurant scene here (although foodies generally claim that NYC beats us...).

Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Quote:
Nice time, nice town.

Great review, I agree keep celery out of chow-dah

Old 05-31-2010, 12:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Good call. We'll get right on that. City Data is the best possible place to make such a recommendation, seeing as we are the real decision makers that dictate what goes down in SF. Thanks for letting us know our homeless were too abundant. We had no idea.

Quote:
Nice time, nice town.
So you traveled 3000 miles for a 3-day vacation in SF, and out of the limited amount of meals you could have possibly had (only 9 total if you had 3 per day) you actually opted for one of the two things your region is actually known for? Really?? Way to think outside the box. Sounds to me like you were planning on finding something to mock us for since you had to go in knowing that you'd already had better, so what was the point? Why on Earth would you not have tried something new that you can't get back home?

And if you JUST HAD to get chowder out here, why wouldn't you seek out the quality versions that we offer? If you're gonna talk down about chowder in SF, you'd better at least try Swan Oyster Depot on Polk before you speak. That is the one spot that actually DOES get praise from tourists from New England.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 PM

153 posts, read 381,710 times
The Guide

OP missed this. NYC/SF/LA/LV are only Michelin-rated cities in the country. Besides NYC (and SF has better natural material to work with), don't see any other cities that have a better quality food scene (Chicago might be only one on par).

Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I lived in the Bay Area for more than 10 years. I have eaten chowder in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will not find good chowder anywhere on the west coast.

OP, could you please tell us where you are located? I want to make sure we send all of the SF homeless to the right place.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
You came to SF and did not know that there will be third world style poverty and misery around you??? I thought all tourists know this! Next time, just consider it as part of the charm...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
hanks for letting us know our homeless were too abundant. We had no idea.
I guess the OP did not mean to point out the abundance of homeless folks but rather the incompetence of a city incapable of dealing with it. FYI, denial is not a solution!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Good call. We'll get right on that. City Data is the best possible place to make such a recommendation, seeing as we are the real decision makers that dictate what goes down in SF. Thanks for letting us know our homeless were too abundant. We had no idea.

So you traveled 3000 miles for a 3-day vacation in SF, and out of the limited amount of meals you could have possibly had (only 9 total if you had 3 per day) you actually opted for one of the two things your region is actually known for? Really?? Way to think outside the box. Sounds to me like you were planning on finding something to mock us for since you had to go in knowing that you'd already had better, so what was the point? Why on Earth would you not have tried something new that you can't get back home?

And if you JUST HAD to get chowder out here, why wouldn't you seek out the quality versions that we offer? If you're gonna talk down about chowder in SF, you'd better at least try Swan Oyster Depot on Polk before you speak. That is the one spot that actually DOES get praise from tourists from New England.
Read the op. Three days in San Francisco AFTER a week in Napa! It was not on the pier where we got the chowder it was at a restaurant in the financial district and was a recommendation by a friend who lives in the city. He evidently forgot what good New England chowder is like. We'll refresh his memory when he comes for a visit in July.
No, City Data is not the only place I vented my disgust for the hoards of homeless in San Francisco. I wrote to the Mayor of the city as well. If he answers me I'll post it.
Like I said nice town, nice time. Two suggestions is not much of a complaint is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland