Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM

101 posts, read 274,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitty View Post
Thanks for the Feedback!

Generally how many days/months do you get summer (around 70) in Park Pacifica & Linda Mar area..?
How is the neighborhood in that area...?

San Ramon' s New affordable houses, good school district and good community is the biggest attraction but I am not sure how warm it gets there and how long is the summer there?

The other thing I am worried about commute.... Rt now I and my husband works in San Mateo and San Francisco area .

How long is the commute to South Bay from both locations, just in case if we have to work in that area ?

More suggestions please..

Thanks
I would say you'd get 30 days or less of 70's in Linda Mar, though the sun will shine more than in northern Pacifica. Basically it is 50-60's in the summer and fall, and 40-50's in the winter months. I've never seen it in the 30's and I've only rarely seen it in the 80's. It's a COOL moderate climate.

No matter what, if you guys are working on the peninsula, I would live on the peninsula. If you're communting from Linda Mar to South Bay you're looking at a minimum of 45 minutes. (From north Pacifica a little bit less.)

I would check out San Mateo, the city, Millbrae, Burlingame or Redwood City. These are pricey, but sunny and very nice suburbs. If you've got the money, Menlo Park is extremely nice. Woodside, Atherton and Portola Valley are majorly expensive, but wonderful places to live.

San Mateo county (the peninsula) is a wonderful place to live!! And you can commute to SF or SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,800,126 times
Quote:
Thanks for the Feedback!

Generally how many days/months do you get summer (around 70) in Park Pacifica & Linda Mar area..?
Summer is rare in ANY part of Pacifica, but that area is slightly sunnier than the Esplanade side... I lived on Esplanade (in the building that's sliding into the ocean) for a year, and loved the foggy weather. But it's definitely not for everyone! I agree about your commute, though, and suggest staying on the mid-north Peninsula.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,115,504 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on castro valley neighbourhood , schooling , housing and crime ...
The schools are good. Better than most other inner East Bay cities and on par with Dublin. Ptown and Danville have better but you'll be paying for it. Not just with your costly mortgage, but because the schools literally ASK you to pay up for extras more than $500 a year at least for "supplies". They have better field trips, and you will be footing the bill for it.

Crime is definitely more than the valley but less than the other inner east bay cities. Obviously many of the crimes committed there are from people who do not reside there. But this is common with all crime. Criminals tend to head to more affluent areas because in the ghetto, only the 1st and the 15th are profitable times of the month.

Housing has held pretty steady and I would guess this is because inventory is low. Not as much turn over as a place like Hayward, San Leandro, and Livermore.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 41,708 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I appreciate it!

We do like Peninsula, just can't afford a nice single family house in nicer are like Foster city, Belmont, Burlingame, Milbrae, nicer part of San mateo(west) ,San Carlos and edwood shores. All the houses are pretty old or too expensive.

That why begun thinking about Pacifica and San ramon,schools seem to good at both places per Great schools rating, both places are beautiful in their own way. Weather is little bit towards extree m side. one place is little cooler and other one is little warmer. I personally like weather between 65-70 or around 70 in summer. I am assuming neighborhood is good, safe and friendly for kids, family at both places.

Commute is easier from Pacifica compare to San Ramon, but houses are newer and better in San Ramon. The nice houses in Pacifica in nicer neighbour hood is also in the range of around 650-700k and those were build in 60-70's mostly. I am thinking is it worth spending that much money there considering all pros and cons.

The other interesting factor about deciding a place to live is kids, how does it matter to switch schools in 8th grade and softmore year, they are in good schools and surrounded by good friends and activities..
Definately kids don't want to move as they have to leave their friends, schools etc and have to adjust with new enviornment.
Does anyone face any issue in that situation and what is advisable..?

Sometime we think, stay in our rental palce until kids passed out of high school and then buy a house, but it's all so confusing :-)

Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Could you please advice How's is the traffic around 3.oo -3.30 p.m. from San Mateo to San Ramon? I heard it genearlly takes an hour or more to commute to San Ramon after 4.00 p.m. If someone wants to avoid traffic what is good time in afternoon/evening.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Recently visited San ramon twice, Traffic was bad even on weekend, It took almost an hour to come back to foster city. Finally decided to stay in peninsula first choice Foster city/san mateo and second one is Pacifica.

How's the San mateo PARKSIDE neighbourhood, where is it worth buying a place between Foster city (town house) or san mateo (house in parkside )?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,268,033 times
Quote:
Recently visited San ramon twice, Traffic was bad even on weekend, It took almost an hour to come back to foster city. Finally decided to stay in peninsula first choice Foster city/san mateo and second one is Pacifica.

How's the San mateo PARKSIDE neighbourhood, where is it worth buying a place between Foster city (town house) or san mateo (house in parkside )?

Thanks in advance!
Would not live in Foster City. Check the Liquefaction Susceptibility Map.

Susceptibility Map of the San Francisco Bay Area

Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM

37,081 posts, read 42,050,241 times
Quote:
San Ramon' s New affordable houses, good school district and good community is the biggest attraction but I am not sure how warm it gets there and how long is the summer there?
Just curious as to what "New affordable houses" means.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
To commute from San Ramon, some people hope on BART from Castro Valley or Dublin, depending on what side of town you live on. The BART ride is 45 from Dublin. To get to San Mateo, you can take the freeways or take Crow Canyon Road to 580 to 238 to 880 to 92. That can be a crappy commute. But you can also drive through Castro Valley/Hayward to get to the SM Bridge. That is about a 20 minute ride on the city streets. Pacifica is probably a better commute but San Ramon has sun an summer. Chillier at night in the winter than SF, there might be a handful of frost warnings. But your 1 hour each way would be fine for San Ramon as well. Schools are good there. And there is a mix of older houses and new stuff. IT is pretty convenient suburb.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Would not live in Foster City. Check the Liquefaction Susceptibility Map.

Susceptibility Map of the San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for mentioning about Liquefaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland