Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 AM

8 posts, read 41,689 times

Advertisements

Looking for inputs to decide where to buy a house between pacifica and san ramon, ca. We are looking for affordable, friendly, commutable , good weather, good school district and crime free area to raise our family.

Our kids go to Middle and High school in San mateo, Good neighbour hood areas in san mateo seems to be expensive and moreover all the houses on sales were build before 1960 and have some foundation issues. We are looking for single family house.

So we are exploring some other places to make a happy home :-).
Help me out please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitty View Post
Looking for inputs to decide where to buy a house between pacifica and san ramon, ca. We are looking for affordable, friendly, commutable , good weather, good school district and crime free area to raise our family.
San Ramon, Pacifica has quite possibly one of the worst micro-climates in the Bay Area unless you like it on the cool and foggy side year round.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM

101 posts, read 274,454 times
I live in the northern part of Pacifica where from June-Sept it can be pretty foggy and cool. (I just turned on the heat at it's June 8!!!!) However it doesn't affect people, it becomes home. Edgemar has some beautiful custom built homes, and every neighborhood could have the right home for you. The best thing about living up here is the location/proximity to SF. I can cross the border in 7 minutes, and I can get to SFO in under 15. We're also close to great beaches/trails for the dog, and seconds from Daly City, South City and San Bruno, and the rest of the peninsula where there are other conveniences.

The southern end of Pacifca, Linda Mar and Park Pacifica are set in the rolling hills and have much less fog. Terra Nova is a great high school. The best 'hood in my opinion is Vallemar. Many folks have taken those old homes and built them up into works of art. Great place to go for a walk. The southern end also has great beaches trails and the like, and you can always head down the coast for Montara and Half Moon Bay for stuff to do. It's great. But it will take longer to get to 280 or 101. Overall, Pacifica is a very unique place. And when it IS sunny, which it is more than people let on, it has extreme natural beauty.

I've never been to San Ramon, but I can guarantee a greater distance to SF, SJ, and airports, and a heck of a lot more sun. No idea about cost of living, nice neighborhoods or restaurants.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the Feedback!

Generally how many days/months do you get summer (around 70) in Park Pacifica & Linda Mar area..?
How is the neighborhood in that area...?

San Ramon' s New affordable houses, good school district and good community is the biggest attraction but I am not sure how warm it gets there and how long is the summer there?

The other thing I am worried about commute.... Rt now I and my husband works in San Mateo and San Francisco area .

How long is the commute to South Bay from both locations, just in case if we have to work in that area ?

More suggestions please..

Thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,236,472 times
If you work in SM and SF that San Ramon commute is going to be a killer compared with Pacifica.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Any thoughts on castro valley neighbourhood , schooling , housing and crime ...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM

127 posts, read 434,383 times
Many of the homes in Pacifica are older as well, so if you looking for new construction without foundation issues, then that probably isn't the place for you. They have a lot of land movement issues and slides around the area, too. I have a friend who bought there years ago, and while they got a great deal for their house, she hasn't been happy with the schools. The have a lot of mold problems in their home, too--mostly because it is very moist and foggy there.

As far as San Ramon, you will have lots of new homes, and the summer does get quite warm--like 80's, 90's and the occasional heatwave of 100+. But most of the houses there are going to have A/C.

As far as the drive to San Mateo, it seems like you need to go to MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map and just map out how far it is from your husband's work. That makes much more sense that asking these questions here. There will be a section called "travel time" that will tell you how many minutes it takes to drive on average.

I don't know anything about Castro Valley, but I am sure you can use the search function here too look for that information as well.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Many of the homes in Pacifica are older as well, so if you looking for new construction without foundation issues, then that probably isn't the place for you. They have a lot of land movement issues and slides around the area, too. I have a friend who bought there years ago, and while they got a great deal for their house, she hasn't been happy with the schools.
I've heard very different things about the schools from people I know who've lived there. They've said very good things about them. Pacifica's schools are rated as amongst the best in the state.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM

127 posts, read 434,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I've heard very different things about the schools from people I know who've lived there. They've said very good things about them. Pacifica's schools are rated as amongst the best in the state.
Pacifica's schools are rated in the range of 700's, which actually falls short of the goal of 800 set by most California schools. They are close to the goal, but not quite there. There are some other issues that I heard about with the schools there as well, especially in the high school level.

I live in Moraga and work in Lafayette Schools, and the API ranking is in the 900's (with an over all rating of 10 out of 10), and I would say these are among the best in the state. San Ramon schools are close in line with that, which is why I compared the schools in San Ramon to the schools in Pacifica. I know there are many people who feel that the school scores don't tell the whole story, and I agree with that--but it is a good piece of information to have.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Pacifica's schools are rated in the range of 700's, which actually falls short of the goal of 800 set by most California schools. They are close to the goal, but not quite there. There are some other issues that I heard about with the schools there as well, especially in the high school level.

I live in Moraga and work in Lafayette Schools, and the API ranking is in the 900's (with an over all rating of 10 out of 10), and I would say these are among the best in the state. San Ramon schools are close in line with that, which is why I compared the schools in San Ramon to the schools in Pacifica. I know there are many people who feel that the school scores don't tell the whole story, and I agree with that--but it is a good piece of information to have.
So what issues exist in Pacifica's schools that don't exist in Lamorinda?

Oceana and Terra Nova are rated very highly by GreatSchools.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland