Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
I just moved into my new place on Telegraph yesterday. I'll provide a full report later.
Cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Group works to keep the A’s in Oakland with waterfront ballpark

Group works to keep the A

in due time - (puts on sunglasses)- in due time. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Good for them.

Oakland A's Boosters Want to Lease Howard Terminal for New Ballpark | Politics and Breaking News | Oakland, Berkeley, Bay Area & California | Seven Days

Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
I thought the Howard Terminal site would be amazing for the ballpark but now I am changing my opinion. That area is located next to the Port of Oakland and there are lots of trucks that come and go from the port. That would not be a good mix with all the attendees, many of them will be on foot at least in the vicinity of the ballpark. There could be a lot of conflict between these two types of traffic. It could affect operations of the port and also there could be accidents. Also, public transit isn't really that close.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I thought the Howard Terminal site would be amazing for the ballpark but now I am changing my opinion. That area is located next to the Port of Oakland and there are lots of trucks that come and go from the port. That would not be a good mix with all the attendees, many of them will be on foot at least in the vicinity of the ballpark. There could be a lot of conflict between these two types of traffic. It could affect operations of the port and also there could be accidents. Also, public transit isn't really that close.
I think the public transit part is a pretty minor issue. It is close enough to other transit, that the B-shuttle loop or other services could be re-routed over there for gamedays.

I agree that is might be congested, with an unsafe traffic mix, but the Howard terminal construction could be the catalyst to improve bike/pedestrian access. That area is already marked as a bike route, and could use safety improvements.

Also, the truck/game time overlap would likely be minimal, the trucks tend to be early mornings or late at night.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 AM

This is good.

UCSF, Children’s Hospital Oakland join forces - Bottom Line

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 AM

39 posts, read 59,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
how many times must it be restated--but the howard terminal site is closer to both the 12th st and west oakland bart stops than the giant's stadium is to montgomery or embarcadero bart. i live in west oakland and walk to linden st brewery all the time from bart (its about 3 blocks from the stadium site) and it takes 15 minutes? i know people are lazy but come on... also, please keep in mind, the city of oakland is in the early stages of exploring a street car that goes down 3rd st that passes by both west oakland, macarthur, 12th and 19th st stations... while i would love the notion that people will be getting off at west oakland bart and there would be streams of folx walking down third, most of the foot traffic is going to be people coming from jack london, which will avoid most of the in and outs of the trucks.... also also as someone who regularly bikes down third st at night (when most games are played) there isn't that much truck traffic... but maybe i'm just being a selfish dork b/c i know it will spawn more bars and restaurants on 3rd street that i can walk to, it'd be nice to connect beer revolution to linden street/jk's brickhouse/nellies

Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

339 posts, read 515,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninamess View Post
how many times must it be restated--but the howard terminal site is closer to both the 12th st and west oakland bart stops than the giant's stadium is to montgomery or embarcadero bart.
This. Some of you on here are so short-sighted. Even if there were just empty blocks, the distance from 12th to HT is not very far. However, when people are walking from public transport to a large event, the "feel" of the distance is only how far it takes to get into the thick of things. Once people start seeing lively bars and restaurants, they may as well be walking through the stadium. Ideally, if the park were to go in, Broadway -- on both the downtown and JLS side -- would fill up with establishments, creating an active funnel for people getting off BART to enjoy while they make their way to the park. In fact, I would argue a short distance to walk is BETTER, as people are forced to experience the city and potentially have a drink or dinner, rather than the suburban mentality of jumping off BART, going into the stadium, and jumping right back on BART, which, in effect, is very much like the drive-and-park mentality.

Honestly, native and long-time Californians, I love you, but your understanding of how cities work seems to have been skewed by seven decades of auto-centric planning.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM

A news story from KTVU on the waterfront ballpark
OAKLAND: Plans for possible waterfront ballpark revealed | www.ktvu.com

ps Mayor Quan said that the Raiders deal could be done by the summer.

It's interesting how just a year ago the prospect of keeping any teams was so bleak but now it's likely we'll keep at least 2

Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
This. Some of you on here are so short-sighted. Even if there were just empty blocks, the distance from 12th to HT is not very far. However, when people are walking from public transport to a large event, the "feel" of the distance is only how far it takes to get into the thick of things. Once people start seeing lively bars and restaurants, they may as well be walking through the stadium. Ideally, if the park were to go in, Broadway -- on both the downtown and JLS side -- would fill up with establishments, creating an active funnel for people getting off BART to enjoy while they make their way to the park. In fact, I would argue a short distance to walk is BETTER, as people are forced to experience the city and potentially have a drink or dinner, rather than the suburban mentality of jumping off BART, going into the stadium, and jumping right back on BART, which, in effect, is very much like the drive-and-park mentality.

Honestly, native and long-time Californians, I love you, but your understanding of how cities work seems to have been skewed by seven decades of auto-centric planning.
And what about those that actually go for just the game and don't have time to walk nearly a mile to the stadium? Especially on weeknights a lot of people get there and go straight to the game because that's all they have time for. I'm not saying Howard Terminal is not a good location because it's a quick and cheap cab ride and I'm sure some sort of shuttle/trolley/etc.. line could be set up but it's kind of ridiculous to think everyone has the time to do a little pub crawl on the way to a baseball game every time. Do you attend many sporting events?

Also AT&T is across the street from a Muni Metro stop which connects to BART and Caltrain so it's a pretty bad point to bring up BART's distance from that stadium as a comparison either way. An infill BART station would be nice but that would likely be upwards of $100 million more but with the redevelopment potential something could probably be done to help pay for it similar to how they helped pay for the West Dublin infill station.

Last edited by sav858; 01-23-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland