U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM

24,929 posts, read 31,778,737 times
Quote:
Shimy and Shake is Alive in Oakland

From Rubenesque to Le Boy ***** Gender-Bending Boylesque, you can find more than a dozen bawdy variety shows in the East Bay

A well-done burlesque show is a guaranteed good time with its bawdy humor, raucous MCs and, most importantly, costumed performers tempting and teasing the audience with her, or his, strategically placed tassels.

And the best part about being able to experience this growing trend in entertainment is you don’t have to go far to enjoy a show – Oakland is home to a thriving, juicy neo-burlesque scene.
That’s right … the art of the shimmy-shake is alive and well in Oakland.

From the Can-Cannibals to Gender-Bending Boylesque, several different revues perform weekly and monthly at venues in Uptown, Downtown and North Oakland. Oakland also is home to burlesque dance troupes that tour the state and country.

The Hubba Hubba Revue is based in San Francisco but performs at the Uptown every Monday night and has done so since the venue re-opened more than two years ago. The weekly performances have become an Oakland institution for fans of fancy costumes and synchronized seduction.
“Oakland has really supported us, especially in the last year or so,” said Jim Sweeney, co-creator and producer of Hubba Hubba. “We get loads of new people every week, but we also have a ton of regulars who are very familiar with us, the performers and with the Uptown and it's awesome bartenders and staff. Lots of energy, lots and lots of people and everyone, including us, having a blast!”

In addition to the weekly Hubba Hubba show at the Uptown, you can catch monthly performances of First Friday Follies – a community supported troupe based in Oakland – at the Stork Club every first Friday and Hot Pink Feathers, an SF troupe, performing every first Saturday at Café Van Kleef for Brass n’ Burlesque. Community is a huge aspect of the neo-burlesque scene. The inclusive sensuality of the style incorporates a larger, more diverse group of both performers and enthusiasts...

Moderator cut: image removed

Shimmy and Shake is Alive in Oakland - The Bay Citizen
*I first noticed these in Oakland a few years back at an event at the Crucible.

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 PM

302 posts, read 368,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, here goes.

I saw this on GlobeStreet and thought it was interesting:

City Walk Rendering:

http://portalimageworks.com/Projects...erior_3_sm.jpg

Glad its going to be completed.
I'm surprised that the City of Oakland, which is facing a 30+ million deficit, is putting city funds to finish a private project. Why is the city funding this? There should be plenty of vulture investors that can scoop this up without a public subsidy.

Sorry to see Shorenstein sell City Center. While it has never taken off, they've done a great job of rejuvenating downtown.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Has anyone here been to BocaNova yet in JLS??? An old friend of mine is one of the founding chefs....curious to hear reviews!
My wife and I went there within a week after the opening. Small plates and over priced. However, it was a nice view sitting on the boardwalk / terrace. We have no desire going back, but it would be a great place for a drink and to people watch.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Speaking of food: we currently enjoy Sidebar across from Lake Merritt and Belanico on Park Blvd in Glenview. I personally think Belanico is the best restaurant in Oakland right now. Haven't tried Commis yet, which got a Michelin Star after only one month in business. I thought that was rather odd it received a review after such a quick opening.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM

946 posts, read 1,214,222 times
city center does not have any evening dining spots
which is too bad since bart acess is as good as uptown if not better
maybe city walk will lead to more evening business oppertunities

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

[LEFT]
Quote:
Oakland Cannibas Workers Join Union

Medical marijuana workers including those from Oaksterdam University have agreed to join the United Food & Commercial Workers Local 5.
The union represents employees in retail, agriculture, food processing and patient care industries.
About 100 workers from the Oaksterdam, an institution that teaches people how to grow medical marijuana, along with employees from cannabis vendors such as the Blue Sky Coffee Shop, Bulldog Café and the Patient ID Center, voted to join the union.

Read more: Oakland cannabis workers join union - San Francisco Business Times

Interesting.
[/LEFT]

Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Oakland Ellington Tower Acheives Vacancy Milestone

OAKLAND — The Ellington residential tower next to Jack London Square is more than half sold — a milestone that paves a smoother path for buyers in the complex to land favorable home loans, developers said Thursday.

"That's an important achievement," said Kim Cole, vice president of sales for Pacific Marketing Associates, which is selling the units in Oakland. "It really opens all types of financing for the customer."

Slightly more than 50 percent of the 134 units in the downtown complex, situated at the corner of Broadway and Third Street, have been sold, Cole said.

Oakland Ellington tower achieves vacancy milestone - ContraCostaTimes.com
The Ellington

http://oaklandliving.files.wordpress.../ellington.jpg

Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 AM

282 posts, read 74,203 times
^^ I don't know what to believe about the Ellington. I really like the units, but it's waaaay too expensive for what you get. I'm sure I've said that before. I was also told it's "80% sold" which is far from the truth as there were plenty of empty units available for sale and even rent.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Turkish Real Estate Fund buys Building Near Oakland Airport

[LEFT]Another day, another Polidev acquisition.

Polidev International Friday bought Edgewater Park Plaza in Oakland for $12 million, the second day in a row the Turkish real estate fund acquired a Bay Area office property.

The a four-building 204,000 square foot property is located at 7700 Edgewater Blvd., just off Hegenberger Road near Oakland Airport. The previous owner was Tiburon Capital, although Polidev negotiated directly with Chase JP Morgan, which had a loan on the property. The property was in default and the previous owner held a $13.3 million first mortgage on the asset, according to Real Capital Analytics...

Read more: Polidev buys Oakland building for $12M - San Francisco Business Times

Interesting.
[/LEFT]

Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:

West Oakland Rolls

[LEFT][LEFT]Three projects — Pulte Homes’ Zephyr Gate townhomes, Holliday Development’s Pacific Cannery Lofts and Bridge Housing’s Ironhorse affordable apartments — have added about 400 units, or about a third of the total build-out for the area.
[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The first development to start selling units was Pulte’s Zephyr Gate, which has 100 of about 130 units complete. Sales started in late 2007 and are expected to wrap up later this year.

Read more: West Oakland rolls - San Francisco Business Times

Central Station Project:

[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland