Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Its Alive! An Exhibit of Kinetic & Interactive Art

The Crucible’s gallery in Oakland’s historic Cathedral Building, at the triangle between Broadway and Telegraph Avenues, announces it’s newest exhibition. “It’s Alive” celebrates kinetic and interactive art by selected Bay Area artists, illustrating their inventive visions and showcasing many of the skills taught at The Crucible. From the small and subtle to the enormous and wacky, these amazing works of art are engineered to move and interact with the observer.

As the revitalization of the Uptown area draws more and more people to explore new restaurants, shops and events in this neighborhood, The Crucible’s Cathedral Gallery provides a compelling and welcoming site for visitors and those working in downtown Oakland. Great art is visible from the street and sidewalk through windows 24/7; the gallery is staffed Monday through Friday from 11 AM to 2PM, and 6-9PM on 1st Fridays, and by appointment.

It's Alive! An Exhibit of Kinetic and Interactive Art

http://www.nemomatic.com/nemomatic/a...apeimage_1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM

This really irks me.

Quote:

Oakland Planning Commission to Decide What 'Views' Residents Will Have of Downtown Skyline

By Oakland Local Contributor Alan Lopez

An ordinance that would restrict some downtown building heights while preserving views from the east side of Lake Merritt is winding its way to the City Council, and will be considered by the Planning Commission tonight.

If approved, the ordinance would allow height limits of from 80 to 140 feet on 96 parcels in the city's central business district. In exchange, views of Oakland City Hall and the Tribune Tower from four different points on the east side of Lake Merritt would be preserved.

"Those particular views were chosen because they are such well known buildings, they're historic landmarks and heavily represent city," said Naomi Schiff, of the Oakland Heritage Alliance. "But they also provide deep perspective as you look across the lake."

Local: In Oakland : Oakland Planning Commission to Decide What 'Views' Residents Will Have of Downtown Skyline
The Oakland Heritage Alliance has been a thorn in the side of development in Oakland for far too long.

This proposal is meant to squash projects such as Emerald Tower which would have been Oakland's new tallest building.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM

227 posts, read 536,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglenet View Post
Speaking of food: we currently enjoy Sidebar across from Lake Merritt and Belanico on Park Blvd in Glenview. I personally think Belanico is the best restaurant in Oakland right now. Haven't tried Commis yet, which got a Michelin Star after only one month in business. I thought that was rather odd it received a review after such a quick opening.
I've been to both as well. I did enjoy Bellanico a lot too. It's just that I did not enjoy waiting an hour for a table, and that tempered my enjoyment. Sidebar was just OK for me, the second time I went better than the first. I had an enjoyable dinner at Camino on Grand Ave. last week, and also want to try Commis.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 AM

527 posts, read 1,572,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I've been to both as well. I did enjoy Bellanico a lot too. It's just that I did not enjoy waiting an hour for a table, and that tempered my enjoyment. Sidebar was just OK for me, the second time I went better than the first. I had an enjoyable dinner at Camino on Grand Ave. last week, and also want to try Commis.
If you haven't tried it, check out the goat cheese souffle at Sidebar - yummy. They only serve it on Wednesdays. I haven't tried Commis yet, but there's a cute little French place on Piedmont Ave. recessed from the street - feels like you're in someone's living room. The food isn't anything special, but it's hearty and the ambiance is nice.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,572,680 times
This is more an event than a project, but figured I'd spread the word:

Oaklavia: Come Play in the Streets

Sunday, June 27th 10am-2pm

Experience car-free city streets for recreation and community building. Temporary traffic closures along the entire. Roadways become opportunities for strolling, cycling, roller skating, dancing, cafe seating, and people-watching. Organized activities for children and adults. A new way to enjoy the city streets - Uptown to Old Oakland and West Oakland. Presented by Walk Oakland Bike Oakland.

http://www.oaklavia .org

Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 PM

227 posts, read 536,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
If you haven't tried it, check out the goat cheese souffle at Sidebar - yummy. They only serve it on Wednesdays. I haven't tried Commis yet, but there's a cute little French place on Piedmont Ave. recessed from the street - feels like you're in someone's living room. The food isn't anything special, but it's hearty and the ambiance is nice.
Thanks for the rec!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Sort of related to this thread I guess:

Quote:
Don Perata on running for Mayor of Oakland

[LEFT]We got right to the question of why Don Perata is running for Mayor of Oakland. "I've always wanted to be the Mayor of Oakland," Perata said, "it's kind of ironic. The last thing i'm gonna do politically is be elected mayor of the city. It's just because I love the city. I think it's got, unlike the State of California, which am now persuaded is not governable with its current structure, Oakland is. It's large enough to make a difference; small enough to get your arms around. And I can. I'm in a position in my life right now where I can do it."

Read more: City Brights: Zennie Abraham : Don Perata Interview - Oakland Mayor's Race

I like his answer.
[/LEFT]

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
This is more an event than a project, but figured I'd spread the word:

Oaklavia: Come Play in the Streets

Sunday, June 27th 10am-2pm

Experience car-free city streets for recreation and community building. Temporary traffic closures along the entire. Roadways become opportunities for strolling, cycling, roller skating, dancing, cafe seating, and people-watching. Organized activities for children and adults. A new way to enjoy the city streets - Uptown to Old Oakland and West Oakland. Presented by Walk Oakland Bike Oakland.

http://www.oaklavia .org
Sounds very intriguing.

Here's another blip from the Chron.

Local: In Oakland : Oaklavia: Take to the streets Sunday!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,765,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This really irks me.

The Oakland Heritage Alliance has been a thorn in the side of development in Oakland for far too long.

This proposal is meant to squash projects such as Emerald Tower which would have been Oakland's new tallest building.

this makes me very angry.
this is a great urban infill project .next to a great park/lake.a few blocks from the bart station .12-15 minute ride away from downtown sf by bart.great views .many nice restaraunts nearby ,a Whole Foods within walking distance.

i can't believe this project was derailed

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
this makes me very angry.
this is a great urban infill project .next to a great park/lake.a few blocks from the bart station .12-15 minute ride away from downtown sf by bart.great views .many nice restaraunts nearby ,a Whole Foods within walking distance.

i can't believe this project was derailed
tell me about it.

Naomi Schiff is like my nemesis. I can't stand her. We always spar at hearings, its hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland