U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-18-2010, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
17,323 posts, read 12,230,617 times
Reputation: 12844

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I own homes in many different counties, cities, and states. I even own a 1,400 Square Foot, 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

Oakland is by far the most dirty, crime filled, wreck of a city I've ever seen. Dellums couldn't run a lemonade stand, let alone a city.

Just watch what happens in the next 6 months when 1/3 of the police force disappears.
Clearly you haven't been many places if Oakland is the "dirtiest" city you have seen. In fact I am not sure I believe you have seen any of Oakland, but there are surely huge portions of the city you have never seen since you incessantly dwell on the negative Oakland image and refuse to admit or believe that there is more to Oakland than a few bad apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 3,020,942 times
Reputation: 517
What am I supposed to do? Oakland is a wasteland where crime is off the charts, and the council wants to lay off 1/3 of the police force? Now they won't even respond to crimes when called. Should I applaud the progress the city has made with this bold action?

Maybe I should congratulate the city on the recent beating of a pregnant woman in a Burger King parking lot by hoodlums?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PdyVrHO9g

Yeah Oakland is great and awesome! I'd love to live in a city where the police won't respond to my calls and pregnant women get beat up in Burger King parking lots.

Update: Now Oakland is in the news again. Oakland and BART Police had to gun down a man at the Fruitvale station wielding knives.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/17/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Yay Oakland!!!

Last edited by Mr. Fantastic; 07-18-2010 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 AM
 
950 posts, read 1,272,123 times
Reputation: 572
oakland rates as one of the most educated cities in the country and has affluent areas throughout the city as demonstrated by the different zip codes of the homes listed below.


6130 OCEAN VIEW DR OAKLAND, CA 94618 $1,850,000
390 EUCLID AVE, OAKLAND, CA 94610 $1,895,000
6401 THORNDALE DR, OAKLAND, CA 94611 $1,899,000
1972 BYWOOD DR, OAKLAND, CA 94602$1,250,000
110 BEECHWOOD DR, OAKLAND, CA 94618 $2,650,000
1027 RISPIN, OAKLAND, CA 94705 $1,350,000
13170 SKYLINE BLVD., OAKLAND, CA 94619 $2,995,000
13824 CAMPUS DR, OAKLAND, CA 94605 $3,395,000

while there are some rough poverty stricken areas in oakland there are a lot of beautiful middle class and uppermiddle class areas that offer a nice lifestyle.



Woman takes fall off horse in Chabot park

By Sean Maher
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 07/05/2010 04:03:07 PM PDT
OAKLAND — A woman riding a horse in Anthony Chabot Regional Park this afternoon fell and was badly hurt, requiring an emergency transport to a nearby hospital, officials said.
The woman, about 50 years old, was found in Bort Meadow, close to Redwood Road, East Bay Regional Park District Fire Capt. Paul Cutino said.
The woman was riding with two other people, one of whom called for help on a cell phone, Cutino said. He described her injuries as "moderate to critical."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Police State
1,472 posts, read 1,231,373 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
oakland rates as one of the most educated cities in the country
You can't really quantify something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
3,128 posts, read 2,540,798 times
Reputation: 2471
Yes you can.

The percentage of residents with a Bacherlor's degree (in addition to a Master's or Doctorate) is very high.

In fact, it's one of the highest in the country. It's even higher than San Jose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
527 posts, read 886,965 times
Reputation: 313
Anyway, this thread isn't about any particular user's real estate holdings, imaginary or not, and it isn't about crime reports and police layoffs. There are other threads addressing these topics. I suggest that if anyone wishes to bring up Oakland crime or dirt-level, they start a new topic in the forum where it can be addressed. This thread is for projects and business development, and as an info-share I was finding it useful, so let's please stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 3,020,942 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
You can't really quantify something like that.
You really can't. It can easily be countered by the fact that Oakland has a 52% dropout rate, one of the highest in the country as well.

So Oakland is both the most uneducated and educated city in the country?

See, it's not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM
 
950 posts, read 1,272,123 times
Reputation: 572
this money magagazine/cnn article measured
Top 25 cities with more than 250,000 population, ranked by percentage of bachelor's degrees among residents 25 and older

oakland made the list


America's smartest cities - Aug. 31, 2006

mr fantastic- only 54 % of oakland students attend schools in the oakland unified school district with the other 46% attend charter, private or parochial school.
your 52% rate dropout only represents students in the ousd which is not well regarded and many parents avoid after grade school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA / San Rafael, CA
2,352 posts, read 3,020,942 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

mr fantastic- only 54 % of oakland students attend schools in the oakland unified school district with the other 46% attend charter, private or parochial school.
your 52% rate dropout only represents students in the ousd which is not well regarded and many parents avoid after grade school.
Uncited statistic, completely ignored.

Also saying that the public schooling system sucks in Oakland isn't exactly a resonating achievement, especially for a city looking to attract money from private investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM
 
950 posts, read 1,272,123 times
Reputation: 572
wow.
Mr "20,000 demonstrators and $20 million in damage " Fantastic -talking about someone else not citing their source.


I went to a top ten profesional school and those years in underdergraduate and graduate school makes it 2nd nature to to reference sources.in a highly competitive environment you need to back up what you say.

that you would make that blatently untrue "20,000 demonstrators and $20 million in damage" statement makes me doubt that you have a PH.D from UCB as that is completely uncharacteristic of someone with a long history in acadamia.

that and your inability to understand :
how to interprate percentages
the appropriate utilization of a mean and a median
the different uses of the word SAID








Notes from OUSD Board of Education’s Strategic Retreat

April 27, 2010


from Superintendent Smith :
"only 54 percent of Oakland students attend district public schools – one of the lowest percentages in the country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top