Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 12,760 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be studying at SJSU for 6 months starting August and I wanted to get an idea of the cost of groceries/average restaurant meals/etc before I touchdown in your lovely city. I'm living in the campus apartments (easiest option for me from this side of the Pacific) at SJSU in the middle of the city and I won't have a car, so I know I'm going to be looking at higher prices for some things since I won't be able to drive to the cheaper outlets or buy in bulk.

I've pre-paid my accomodation so I don't have to worry about rent at all, but I've got to factor in a bit of set-up costs for the apartment (pots, pans, bedsheets, etc - I see a trip to Target in my near future), and my monthly budget is probably going to end up around 800-1000USD per month at minimum (budgeting for the Australian dollar not to drop below 75c to the USD in the exchanges), probably more if things go well and I don't blow it all in the first week I'm going to be bumming around San Fransisco as a filthy tourist (unlikely). I'm a very low-maintanence and studious person who prefers to stay at home and nerd it up with some books or a movie rather than go out and have drinks, though the occasional trip to the pub for a beer is nice with the right people, so my budget for frivolities isn't high, I'm just worried about the cost of necessities. I also cook a lot, because I enjoy it and because when you live below the poverty line here in Australia, it definitely helps with the budget.

Part of the reason I'm investigating this is because I am trying to work out whether or not I will have the money for a short trip to NY after I finish studying in December. I'd really like to go, and if I can live cheaply enough and get over there in January before I leave it would be awesome, since this is my first time in the US, and you only live once.

Thanks in advance for the advice. :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Based on your description, I think 800-1000USD per month is quite enough. Food here isn't expensive. Lots of Asian restaurants here are actually a lot cheaper than the rest of the country. 5~10$ is per meal quite normal here in Chinese restaurants while elsewhere in the country you are pretty much looking at 15$ in a similar restaurant. Public transportation is not great but if you plan ahead, it will get to where you wanna go. For example, I know one light rail line stops at both Walmart and the Great Mall (an outlet mall). The day pass is 6$ but I am sure the university has cheaper options for students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AePatto View Post
I'm going to be studying at SJSU for 6 months starting August and I wanted to get an idea of the cost of groceries/average restaurant meals/etc before I touchdown in your lovely city. I'm living in the campus apartments (easiest option for me from this side of the Pacific) at SJSU in the middle of the city and I won't have a car, so I know I'm going to be looking at higher prices for some things since I won't be able to drive to the cheaper outlets or buy in bulk.

I've pre-paid my accomodation so I don't have to worry about rent at all, but I've got to factor in a bit of set-up costs for the apartment (pots, pans, bedsheets, etc - I see a trip to Target in my near future), and my monthly budget is probably going to end up around 800-1000USD per month at minimum (budgeting for the Australian dollar not to drop below 75c to the USD in the exchanges), probably more if things go well and I don't blow it all in the first week I'm going to be bumming around San Fransisco as a filthy tourist (unlikely). I'm a very low-maintanence and studious person who prefers to stay at home and nerd it up with some books or a movie rather than go out and have drinks, though the occasional trip to the pub for a beer is nice with the right people, so my budget for frivolities isn't high, I'm just worried about the cost of necessities. I also cook a lot, because I enjoy it and because when you live below the poverty line here in Australia, it definitely helps with the budget.

Part of the reason I'm investigating this is because I am trying to work out whether or not I will have the money for a short trip to NY after I finish studying in December. I'd really like to go, and if I can live cheaply enough and get over there in January before I leave it would be awesome, since this is my first time in the US, and you only live once.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 12,760 times
Thanks, I'm used to living in a city with bad public transport and lots of hills (Brisbane), so it's a good thing I like to walk. I'll probably be (ab)using the Caltrain a lot to get to SF on weekends for the Zoo and stuff, but I also want to explore the Silicon Valley area while I'm there. Is the $6 a zone-limited ticket or can you "do the loop" all day on it?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'm used to living in a city with bad public transport and lots of hills (Brisbane), so it's a good thing I like to walk. I'll probably be (ab)using the Caltrain a lot to get to SF on weekends for the Zoo and stuff, but I also want to explore the Silicon Valley area while I'm there. Is the $6 a zone-limited ticket or can you "do the loop" all day on it?
There's talk of eliminating CalTrain service on weekends because of the severe financial problems that are being felt throughout the public sector in California (and the US as a whole). I don't know if they will come to pass, but it's a definite possibility.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
Quote:
All you need to know when you move is ---- Australian Products Co. Bringing Australia To You!

Australian Products Co.
3680 Stevens Creek Blvd. #A
San Jose, CA 95117
Mon - Sat: 10 AM - 6 PM
Sunday: Closed

Consider yourself saved

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
The 6$ day pass is for transportation using VTA light rail and buses. It doesn't cover transportation of Caltrain, BART, etc that can run outside the Santa Clara County. To get to and from SF, one way is to use Caltrain. The other way is to take express bus to Fremont and use BART which is a commuter rail and subway mix. BART has more stops in SF so I find it usually more convenient. It also runs till much later, but you have to be careful not to miss the last express bus in Fremont.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM

163 posts, read 796,735 times
AePatto,
There's a 2 zone monthly pass on caltrain that lets you get ride the vta buses/trains as well and comes to between 100-150$. This could take care of your vta commutes and weekend caltrain rides to san francisco. Actually you could go for the cheaper vta monthly pass and buy caltrain tickets(11$ per day) on a need basis. There's a ton of stuff to see in places other than san francisco as well so its not like you need to use the caltrain a lot.

You will comfortably get thru on a 800-1000$ budget since you will have enough things to do in school. Lot of stuff can be purchased for real cheap on craigslist, dollar stores since longevity is not a concern.

Welcome and enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose