Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we're used to about a 45 minute drive to Malibu once a week. We need to find a beach that is:
-not ridiculously crowded
-bathrooms are decent (and coming from Zuma Beach in Malibu with pretty much the nastiest public bathrooms one step above a porta-potty, my tolerance is pretty high)
-less than an hour from Cupertino
-surf not too treacherous for a fearless 4 year old wader and an overly-cautious (read: won't go out far at all) 8 year old with a body board.
-decent parking, either on street or lot, but not a mile from car to shore (if you've seen the Santa Monica Pier beach area you know what I mean!!) nor a rocky difficult trail down. I pack like I'm going for a week, but have a wheeled beach cart (oh yes, I am THAT mom - LOL).

Does this exist? I read such WONDERFUL things about Santa Cruz on here, but mentioned it to a friend who'd passed through the area and she said mid-Saturday afternoon it took them 2 hours from the 101 to get there and it was heinously crowded. Is this typical? I plan to go mid-week, but even still the hubby might want to go on occasion on the weekend so I'd love to get any tips you have.

Many Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:20 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
I think the 2 hrs on the weekend is an exaggeration. I think the max it ever took me was an hour, and that might have been a holiday. During the week it usually takes me about 30-45 minutes. Parking can be difficult on weekends, but not impossible to find. I'd recommend Cowell's beach, right at the pier, and close to the Santa Cruz boardwalk. The waves there are really mellow, which is why it's used to teach beginners how to surf. There aren't many bathrooms unfortunately, but there are several located at the beginning of the beach close to the street. You can also walk along the cliff all the way to the end.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:58 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
I don't really like the boardwalk area because that is the most crowded area, hardest to find parking and it just seems a bit more trashy. I'd recommend heading down West Ciff Cr. toward the lighthouse. From the lighthouse to Natural Bridges is all nice. There are bathrooms at the lighthouse and Natural Bridges. You can also park in the local neighborhoods. So parking should never be too much of a problem. The surf size will vary depending on the season.

Derek

Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Give the Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk a try - at least once. Your kids will love it. From San Jose to Santa Cruz usually takes me about 45 minutes or less. It's safe for kids to wade in the water - but keep an eye on them. However the place is crowded on summer weekends and parking is difficult.

www.beachboardwalk.com

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post

Okay, so we're used to about a 45 minute drive to Malibu once a week. We need to find a beach that is:
-not ridiculously crowded
-bathrooms are decent (and coming from Zuma Beach in Malibu with pretty much the nastiest public bathrooms one step above a porta-potty, my tolerance is pretty high)
-less than an hour from Cupertino
-surf not too treacherous for a fearless 4 year old wader and an overly-cautious (read: won't go out far at all) 8 year old with a body board.
-decent parking, either on street or lot, but not a mile from car to shore (if you've seen the Santa Monica Pier beach area you know what I mean!!) nor a rocky difficult trail down. I pack like I'm going for a week, but have a wheeled beach cart (oh yes, I am THAT mom - LOL).

Does this exist? I read such WONDERFUL things about Santa Cruz on here, but mentioned it to a friend who'd passed through the area and she said mid-Saturday afternoon it took them 2 hours from the 101 to get there and it was heinously crowded. Is this typical? I plan to go mid-week, but even still the hubby might want to go on occasion on the weekend so I'd love to get any tips you have.

Many Thanks!!!
Personally, I like the beaches in Capitlola, just a little further south on Hwy 1. Get off on 41st street for the downtown or the exit right after that (I think it's a state park, but it's ok to park in the residential area). P

Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Personally, I like the beaches in Capitlola, just a little further south on Hwy 1. Get off on 41st street for the downtown or the exit right after that (I think it's a state park, but it's ok to park in the residential area). P
I think those are nice. I've been to Natural Bridges but have never surfed there.

I should warn the OP that there are beaches at the very end of 41st that some people go to. Some of the people there are locals and are not very friendly because they get tired of all the "outsiders" coming in to surf and use "their" beach. (I surf there from time to time.) An easy way to avoid the attitude is to avoid the left side of the beach at the bottom of the stairs and instead walk down the beach to your right and take the next set of stairs down.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,541 times
Capitola is fun, great small town and cool beaches. I love the vibe.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
For just plain beaches go past Capitola to one of the state beaches. My advice is based on 40 year old info when I used to spend my idle high school days headed over 17. It may have changed some since then.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
I really appreciate all of this information!! I think we'll give it a go next week. I'll report back my impressions wherever we end up down there.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
The traffic is really bad on 17 from Los Gatos to the reservoir on weekends - it can easily take an hour to go those 10 or so miles, but other than that you shouldn't any other significant snags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose