U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM

3,814 posts, read 5,048,077 times
Default Suggestions for one-month temporary housing

I'm moving from Grand Junction, Colorado to the Sunnyvale area to start a new job. My wife and I will need to rent a furnished studio/apt for about a month or two while we look for a permanent place. I'd like suggestions on specific apartments/websites/persons that provide short term housing. The company is not paying for it, so we need a budget solution.

We're looking forward to living in the Northern CA/Bay Area. We've spent the past five years in the desert Southwest, so this will be a nice change for us.

Thanks for your help.

80skeys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,797,484 times
I'd suggest any of the Oakwood Apartment complexes in the area, I think they do short term furnished apartments. They have several locations that may be convenient for you.

www.oakwood.com

That is a start, I don't know if there are other places or companies that may do the same. Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd suggest any of the Oakwood Apartment complexes in the area, I think they do short term furnished apartments. They have several locations that may be convenient for you.

www.oakwood.com

That is a start, I don't know if there are other places or companies that may do the same. Good Luck!
I called them. Unfortunately, it's way over our budget. Their rates are $3200/month for a furnished studio.

The company is not providing me a housing stipend, so we need to look at budget options.

Any more suggestions are welcome!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM

2,929 posts, read 2,367,835 times
$3200 is "...way over our budget..." How much is your budget? I suspect you are not going to find something much less.

Maybe it is time to get creative: rent a non-furnished apartment on month-to-month lease & furnish it from Cort furniture rental; or just buy some used furnishings off CL.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
$3200 is "...way over our budget..." How much is your budget? I suspect you are not going to find something much less.
I've already found one for $1300

Old 08-20-2010, 02:04 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,797,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I've already found one for $1300
Sorry that Oakwood was waaay overpriced. How did you find one that was a lot more reasonable?

Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Sorry that Oakwood was waaay overpriced. How did you find one that was a lot more reasonable?
Craigslist, but I haven't committed to it yet, still exploring other options

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM

748 posts, read 971,196 times
Quote:
Craigslist, but I haven't committed to it yet, still exploring other options
YIKES! I wouldn't commit to it at all it sounds to good to be true. My experience with our recent move here in San Jose and craigslist housing was learning new definitions for words such as "immaculate", "up-dated", and "pristine" - AND my price range for renting a house was $2400- $4000

We stayed in corporate housing with Synergy at the Carlyle. It was a really nice apartment, my experience with Synergy wasn't the greatest - they are tough to get into. They charged $144 per night so obviously not in your price range either.

You probably won't need corporate housing for as long as 1 - 2 months. There is a LOT for rent here, and many landlords wait till their tenants have moved out and then list the property for immediate occupancy. We moved into corporate housing at the end of May and were out by June 18. Are you planning on renting a house or an apartment? If you are planning on an apartment I would recommend staying in a hotel for 2 week - you should be able to find an apartment quick. There are nice newer places in Rivermark - close to Sunnyvale.

If you are planning on renting a house - once again get ready for the craigslist experience. I viewed houses for 4 days - about 8 per day - what a nightmare, till I found the townhome I'm living in now.

Another option is to post in the housing wanted section of craigslist - I did that and I got a TON of responses from potential landlords - you could try it for temporary housing. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
If you are planning on an apartment I would recommend staying in a hotel for 2 week - you should be able to find an apartment quick. There are nice newer places in Rivermark - close to Sunnyvale.
This I will look into. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose