U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 26,942 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I am 30 years old and just recently married, no children. I lived in San Francisco for 5 years and absolutely loved it. My husband just got a job in Los Gatos last year and so we made the big move to Los Gatos last July. While I like the town, quality of life (i.e. more space, yard etc which we couldn't afford in the city), and weather, I still commute three days a week to San Francisco and miss the city lifestyle where I felt as if I was surrounded by people my age who were fairly easy to meet and there was always the feeling of something going on.

We are now considering moving up the Peninsula vs. staying in Los Gatos and we are having a hard time making a decision. My main criteria is living in a place that has a similar demographic where we can make some good friends (i.e. couples around our age), cute downtown and fun restaurants, movie theaters, bars etc (i.e. a bit of the city feel even though it is the suburbs!) and a commute less than 40 minutes for each of us, as he will be working in Los Gatos and I will most likely be working part time in San Francisco and part time in San Mateo/Menlo Park area.

We are looking at Palo Alto, Burlingame, San Mateo or staying in Los Gatos. I generally feel as if Los Gatos doesn't really have our age demographic, but then we also haven't tried that hard to make friends since last year was so busy for us with wedding planning etc. Now I am ready to be in a great place for a while where we can make good friends our age (we had a great group in the city who have since all moved away.)

I am a personal trainer/nutritionist so can technically work any of these places and willing to give up my clients in SF if I find the best place to live and/or if staying in Los Gatos makes the most sense. My husband is willing to go as far north as Burlingame.

Any thoughts or input on this would be so helpful as we don't know much about any of these areas other than just driving through them. Also, suggestions on how to meet people in these areas would be great! My husband's office has mainly older people with families and I work for myself so don't have that outlet to meet people.

Thank you!

Last edited by breecooper; 07-07-2007 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 02:37 PM

41 posts, read 265,553 times
I'm 29 and I've only partied in Los Gatos a couple times. I think I went to the Los Gatos Bar and Grill (not sure if that was the name or not). There were plenty of people near my age. However, Los Gatos isn't known to be a 30s age area, but more like 40s to retirees.

Have you though about Redwood City? I work here and I live in San Jose. It's a nice place to work. Some of the houses here are pretty too. It's also a good half-way point from the City and L.G.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Hi Romeo-

Thank you for responding! We are considering everything so would be open to Redwood City. Do you know much about the nightlife there and/or if there are many people our age? Thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,166,378 times
If you want to be around people about your age, check out Palo Alto and nearby Stanford University. Redwood City and nearby towns such as Menlo Park and San Carlos are your average suburbs with people of all ranges of age. Nightlife is so-so. Palo Alto has a little more geared to the student population.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM

What are the thoughts on Burlingame and San Mateo? I have heard Burlingame tends to have a lot of young couples/families.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,574,575 times
I have a feeling you'd find downtown SJ to be too "ghetto" like other people do. I suggest just going back to SF. Los Gatos is better than most small towns from here to there, so if that's not cutting it then you're not gonna find what you're looking for.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,579 times
My husband and I are in the same boat as you...we're newlyweds, 30-ish, and we love San Francisco but are looking for a place that's more affordable and closer to our jobs in the South Bay. Palo Alto is fun if you can afford it, and I've heard Mountain View is a nice place. We were considering San Jose but agree with krudmonk that it's a little too "ghetto." Good luck!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 PM

41 posts, read 265,553 times
First of all, San Jose is not ghetto. The downtown area has been building brand new condos/townhomes to attract us late 20's to late 30's people. Frankly I like downtown San Jose. When I do party I split 50/50 between San Jose and SF. But I do hit up other places like downtown Sunnyvale, Mt. View and Palo Alto on occasion.

No matter where you live, all partying is close by in the Bay Area. We're lucky to have a good geography to many places.

breecooper, I have not partied in Redwood City. I only work there. I don't think they have much to do as far as partying anyways, probably just the local bars. But like I said before, everything on the Peninsula and Southbay is close to each other in regards to partying.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:24 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breecooper View Post
What are the thoughts on Burlingame and San Mateo? I have heard Burlingame tends to have a lot of young couples/families.
I grew up in that neighborhood (on the edge of SM & Burlingame), and it's a great place to live. However, I'd say it's more "family-oriented", which is why my parents chose to live there... they already had 3 kids by that time, so they were looking for the whole suburban experience. If you were to live there, I'd recommend being near Burlingame Ave., or in the San Mateo Hills (near Alameda de las Pulgas & the high-numbered streets). Those would be more desirable for young newlyweds... in fact, my best friend and her new husband just bought a place in SM hills!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:26 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Oh, but the commute from Burlingame to Los Gatos would be pretty bad... if you lived in San Mateo, being near highway 280 would cut that commute by a lot - so aim for that if you move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or