U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 AM

28 posts, read 101,061 times

Advertisements

Hello-- My husband is being offered a job in silicon valley for about 100,000. We have a newborn- i'm a stay at home mom. I'm really worried about how we can afford living there. He can commute 1-2 hours away and we can rent. What is the best place to look? We can't go too dangerous, since we're parents now! I know it's crazy expensive in the area, but perhaps if he commutes a long distance we can find something like a 2 bedroom in a nice area to rent. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM

41 posts, read 226,308 times
Are you sure he's going to be ready to deal with the massive headaches and roadrage he'll face by living 1-2 hours out of town? The areas I can think of firsthand would be Tracy, Livermore, Modesto, Stockton and Los Banos.

Tracy, Livermore are off of I-580 and that is a nightmare highway that backs up to a crawl. If you go farther west to Stockton and Modesto, you'll experience traffic from I-5, which will lead to the traffic on I-580, which will lead you to the traffic going into the Silicon Valley. If you live in Los Banos, you'll be farther south from the other places I mentioned, but you'll still need to drive through the hills to get onto Highway 101 and then see some bad traffic there too.

My recommendation is that you look for a home closer to where your husband will work. It's worth the crazy drive and will save gas and mileage on your car. Besides houses 1-2 hours away from the Silicon Valley are going up just as fast as the houses in the Valley. My 2 cents.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM

3,719 posts, read 7,115,234 times
Annie,

I have been wondering the same thing. Even though affordable is a 'relative' thing almost anywhere in California. What does affordable mean to you?

I moved my family to Colorado from California because of the ridiculous cost of housing among other things. By contrast we got a nice, newer two story home with a big yard for $235K and my income remained constant. That kind of affordable will 'never' happen in California.

But and this is a big 'BUT' for me, I miss the coast. So I am considering eventually moving to San Jose area. From the research I have done some of the most 'affordable' decent housing within a sane commuting distance is in the Santa Cruz mountains (Felton, Boulder Creek, Lompico, La Honda, etc...).

Sure you are in the mountains, but your husband is not commuting two hours from a crime infested, poor school district area either. And it is actually closer to the beach, redwoods and lakes for recreational opportunities. Check out my thread in the California forum about the commute. It looks like there are park and ride options as well:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-san-jose.html

If it doesn't work out then check out Colorado or the PNW which are much more reasonable areas for a young family.

- Derek

Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,610,621 times
The areas outside of Silicon Valley, mainly the central valley, are the hardest hit during this whole real estate bust. S.V. prices are remaining stable, but places like Los Banos, Sac, Tracy, etc are being hit hard.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM

159 posts, read 577,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
Hello-- My husband is being offered a job in silicon valley for about 100,000. We have a newborn- i'm a stay at home mom. I'm really worried about how we can afford living there. He can commute 1-2 hours away and we can rent. What is the best place to look? We can't go too dangerous, since we're parents now! I know it's crazy expensive in the area, but perhaps if he commutes a long distance we can find something like a 2 bedroom in a nice area to rent. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
That's by San Jose right? If he's making 100k and you don't care if you
are renters, and you only need a two bedroom then you can pretty much
take your pick of some pretty nice area's I would think. I'm a half hour away or so
and renting a nice home 1800 square feet in a beautiful setting for 2400 a month in Aptos.. I think Los gatos is supposed to be really nice, and Scotts
Valley also. Good luck.

Last edited by lexi; 09-11-2007 at 11:16 PM..

Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,193,800 times
Check out Morgan Hill and Gilroy just south of San Jose and about a 30 - 45 minute commute if there is no traffic problems.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM

88 posts, read 321,257 times
Default you won't afford much

$100,000 will not get you very far in the bay area and in the vally or Sac the home prices to live in a good neighborhood are still high. Mountain House is having huge price reductions, but the drive and the lifestyle here is not worth the salary. I make much more than 100,000 a year and own a nice home in a nice area in the bay area close to everything with some of the best schools and I would move in a second to Colorado if my wife was not still on the fence. I manage high rise construction and there is plenty of work here but I am tired of California values and I feel that I will have to make a move in the next few years just to give my kids a chance at the kind of life I had as a kid. I would strongly look at other states for relocation, I could cut my salary in half and live better in Colorado.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:25 PM

5,668 posts, read 10,293,695 times
Why would you ever live that far away?

Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 PM

136 posts, read 502,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
For 100k salary and initially rent, you don't need to worry about anything. Looking at Evergreen area of S. san Jose, you can rent a nice house around great schools below $3000. It is about 30 min commute to downtown San Jose (about 10 miles?) and many tech. companies in N. San Jose. Silicon Valley is not expensive crazy as some people think of.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM

5,668 posts, read 10,293,695 times
Evergreen is nice for a family, but boring for young adults (unless you're a member at Silver Creek Valley Country Club).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose