Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 AM

10 posts, read 27,405 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the bay area all my life, south bay that is, cupertino, west san jose, sunnyvale, santa clara and campbell. You do see an occasioanl bum here and there, but they keep to themselves. Since the ecomony has been bad, I've seen more people on exit ramps near major freeway exists especially by West filed valley fair mall, the most popular one near Santana Row, but no one is in your face trying to make a deal or beg for money.. I've only seen that in SF.. Most of the south bay is good to go, I'd be more worried about where you live because of high crime/poverty areas.
-San Mateo This is mostly older people/ old money and it stays nice and cool in the summer, stay away from anything over 101 to the east, its a rough area, lots of mexican and philipinos, low income/crime
-Belmont little town built on hills, nice views, some areas expensive, older homes
-Palo Alto- Very expensive, DONT go to East P.A, high crime and all african american/gangs
-Sunnyvale - Welcome to little India, price is decent, safe and not too bad
-Santa Clara - Depends on the area completely.. some nice. some not so nice.. moderately priced
-San Jose (far west areas) probably my favorite place to live, very safe and diverse..
-Campbell- Another good lil town, diverse and good prices..
-Fremont- Never lived there, but wouldnt, its far from the heart of silicon valley and stinky, near the dump and alviso... yuck
You didn't mention Cupertino. This is a very expensive area just like Los gatos and Saratoga but they are all very safe.. If you look hard you can find a nice cheap place.. Cupertino is all Asian and Indian..

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,773,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarox View Post
-San Mateo This is mostly older people/ old money and it stays nice and cool in the summer, stay away from anything over 101 to the east, its a rough area, lots of mexican and philipinos, low income/crime
-Belmont little town built on hills, nice views, some areas expensive, older homes
-Palo Alto- Very expensive, DONT go to East P.A, high crime and all african american/gangs
-Sunnyvale - Welcome to little India, price is decent, safe and not too bad
-Santa Clara - Depends on the area completely.. some nice. some not so nice.. moderately priced
-San Jose (far west areas) probably my favorite place to live, very safe and diverse..
-Campbell- Another good lil town, diverse and good prices..
-Fremont- Never lived there, but wouldnt, its far from the heart of silicon valley and stinky, near the dump and alviso... yuck
You didn't mention Cupertino. This is a very expensive area just like Los gatos and Saratoga but they are all very safe.. If you look hard you can find a nice cheap place.. Cupertino is all Asian and Indian..

Good luck!
Good luck, indeed. Do we see a disturbing in the discourse pattern here?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,819,538 times
I've only run into them in San Jose. I was at a gas station and asked by THREE people for money, and it's not like my gas tank is that big that I was there all day. THey didn't appear to be homeless, though.

Not sure what area it was considered...probably down town/north of willow glen.

I've never seen any the other areas.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrune83 View Post
I just want to live in a place where I don't have to feel guilty day in and day out for not being as generous as Mother Teresa.
No one can make you feel guilty without your permission.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And.....there are people with magnificant homes who can't manage money and can't think further ahead than day to day.

Living on credit!
Undoubtedly true. I wouldn't give money to either group. I actually have a friend in this group (well, he's far from living in a mansion) who asked me for money recently but I didn't give it to him. His biggest problem is he thinks he's smarter than he really is & never plans for a rainy day. Those are ongoing problems/personality traits that a one time cash infusion won't fix.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM

765 posts, read 2,432,688 times
Quote:
Most of the ones complaining on these posts seem to have jobs but what will they do when their jobs are exported?
We will get another job. And if you are in Tucson how do you manage to have a voice in what we experience here in San Jose on a daily basis?

I was just in Monterrey, and there were 2 young men (early 20's) out begging for money. Uhh, sorry guys, NO, YOU ARE NOT GETTING A HAND OUT FROM ME - Why do you think you are entitled to my money when I was the person who earned it? Why should I go to work, pay taxes, pay my rent, utilities, food, etc., and then be expected to give it away. NOPE - I'm not doing it. They are CHOSING a lifestyle, and since they CHOSE they can deal with the consequences. I will not enable their chosen lifestyle.

Last edited by easybay; 01-28-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,560 times
South bay is not bad at all from a pan handling perspective. My guess is that the people in the south bay are more likely to have worked for their money and do not part with it easily. Over in Santa Cruz there are a whole lot more beggars per capita. Most down town areas, like Denver, are way worse. I hope this is not the posters first concern about where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose