Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 AM
sjh sjh started this thread

11 posts, read 19,919 times

Advertisements

About 3k per month (house is paid for, cars are paid for). So I figure if the COL is 30% higher, then we're sitting about even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM

I talked to a recruiter that was originally from there but now living in Texas, and she told me most transplants only make it for a couple of years out there, then leave once they've had enough of the high prices and traffic. She actually didn't have anything to gain from offering that advice... her company had already turned me down.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
I think given the incredibly high COL here, transplants are going to have to weigh the trade-off...if you're in tech, and if career advancement is very important, there may be (not always the case) more opportunities, long term by relocating to Silicon Valley. Only the individuals can decide what's important to them.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Were I in his position I would rent in the best school enrollment area that met my kids needs for the next 2-3 years. The opportunities for professional development and networking are huge and by that time they can decide whether or not to stay. Many SV employers have operations elsewhere so he may not need to even change employers.

Awful traffic? You should try Seattle's.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 PM

167 posts, read 239,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
As the MIL of a 'Tino teacher let me take a bow!! Note that my daughter lived in the Freemont HS enrollment area and didn't have a concern.

Based on what little I know of the Cupertio vs Freemont high schools for a person from Kansas... the football game at Cupertino High is a venue for the band and barely have enough participants to field a team, while Freemont High takes football seriously. At Cupertino "Tiger" parents abound. Huge difference in the cultures.

I do not know if the RedFin (realtor site) has school test data and parent evaluations for the Bay area, but pick a home for sale in each district and look at the bottom of their page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
IMO I think the really hard-core, hypercompetitive parents/families are at Lynbrook and Monta Vista. 'Tino is actually a bit more balanced in terms of school culture than the other two schools. Fremont High of course has a different ethnic/socioeconomic demographic.
There was an article about the hypercompetive kids and parents at Lynbrook and Monta Vista High Schools and how some people were leaving those schools because of it by the Wall Street Journal a few years ago.

http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/teen/teencenter/05nov_whiteflight.htm (broken link)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Cupertino District hired the Superintendent of Bainbridge Island Schools. 'Tino fired him after he made a public comment about the pressure parents put on the kids.

Now if the OP had an offer in down town Seattle Bainbridge Island Schools offer the best of all worlds: strong academics, great athletic programs, easy commute.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
There was an article about the hypercompetive kids and parents at Lynbrook and Monta Vista High Schools and how some people were leaving those schools because of it by the Wall Street Journal a few years ago.

http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/teen/teencenter/05nov_whiteflight.htm
Oh, I remember that article - I do acknowledge the sort of high-pressure culture that exists at these schools, but I was bit disturbed at the racially-tinged comments made by some of these parents (I happen to be Asian-American).

Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Did anyone catch the interview of a tech recruiter on public radio today? Software Engineers appear to be in high demand, particularly in the Valley. There was an observation by the recruiter that caught my attention, I can't quote it exactly but it was to the effect of nice applicants don't get Zucked. That is a good reminder to get to know the corporate culture of a prospective employer.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM

It's a funny thing apparently, tech recruiting in the valley... On the one hand startups are encouraged to relocated there due to the talent pool, on the other hand companies complain about not having enough talent.

A few months ago I actually had an interview with a big-name co. in Seattle... I went through several rounds of interviews there too, but I was pretty clear I wasn't excited about Seattle, so nothing came of it. I hated to say that, as I've never even been there, but like I said above I like the outdoors, and I think the near constant rain would drive me mad in Seattle.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh View Post
It's a funny thing apparently, tech recruiting in the valley... On the one hand startups are encouraged to relocated there due to the talent pool, on the other hand companies complain about not having enough talent.
That's what you get when you outsource jobs, lay off thousands of workers at the same time just because everyone else is doing it, and work the ones who stay 60 hours a week. You reap what you sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose