Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 26,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Such is the attitude of many in SC and the Haight who fail to bathe and yell profanity at those who don't grace them with ten dollar bills (ones and fives not being enough, as they will declare). We wouldn't want to reflect that sorry lot, now, would we? Lots of hostility coming from those still considering themselves "OG hippies" around here. Chill out and have a toke.

Thank you BigDumbGuy, you have just verified everything I have posted. Instead of having compassion for the homeless, you refer to them as unsanitary, profane and inarticulate. You are probably one of those Sheeple who see a homeless person and think to yourself "Get a job".

I am neither unemployed nor homeless, yet you seem (for reasons of self-justification I would guess) to be implying I (and other posters who dislike Santa Cruz) are homeless. If you stop and think for a moment, you might realize that most homeless people do not have Internet connections and computers.

As far as the homeless yelling obscenities at you, I empathize with them completely. I would guess that you react to their pleas for help with your own hostile comments, then wonder why they get angry. Only a self-centered Yuppie/Poser would consider their hostile actions OK, but the returned hostility wrongful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,341 times
JaiJai, you are right, attitudinal is a word. However, you used it incorrectly. One cannot be attitudinal; however, one's words can be when they relate to, are based on, or express an attitude. For example: I am not attitudinal, but my words are.

No I have not read your other posts, in this thread or elsewhere, nor was I really directing any of my criticisms of santa cruz and the "yuppie-hippie-whatevers" at any specific forum poster.

It may have been you, Jai Jai, who posted about yuppies being everywhere or these complaints being pretty standard for anywhere or something along those lines; and I'd like to agree with you on that, to a degree. There are quite alot of pompous pretentious and irritating people everywhere. However in most places these people are pretty easy to spot. They drive mercs, beamers, audis, and lexi and stand out like sore thumbs, just the way they like it. Being as easy to spot as they are they're easy to keep out of my life. I don't speak to them and avoid them at all costs in my daily life. My problem is when they masquerade as people of progressive thought who call themselves good, conscientious people yet they post things such as:

Quote:
Such is the attitude of many in SC and the Haight who fail to bathe and yell profanity at those who don't grace them with ten dollar bills (ones and fives not being enough, as they will declare). We wouldn't want to reflect that sorry lot, now, would we? Lots of hostility coming from those still considering themselves "OG hippies" around here. Chill out and have a toke.
PS. I never called myself an OG Hippie, I'm in my early twenties and missed that era by a few decades. However I'd rather never speak another word as long as I live than be caught saying something as elitist and disgusting as that. You sir, bigdumbgod, are exactly what is wrong with this place. In fact I bet you're the kind of elitist pig that mutters under his breathe when he passes a homeless person "my god get a job bum." I'd rather be associated with the hobo than with you buddy.

As my final complaint I will point out that in Santa Cruz, at least the city but probably the country, in order to enter a cannabis dispensary you MUST have a CALIFORNIA ISSUED identification. They will not under any circumstances accept one from out of state. I was even shouted at by one dispensary worker over the phone. He told me that instead of trying to scam them into giving me weed while I'm on vacation I should consider actually moving here and getting a license. So I drove to San Francisco, where they took my card at the door and let me in without asking to even see an ID! I also, while there, joined a nearby collective. Being a collective they require you to be a member in order to purchase cannabis. I was able to join without any problem as both my driver's license and medical marijuana recommendation/card are verifiable and authentic; I had given them rock-solid legal proof that I am who I claim to be and have the requisite permissions to purchase cannabis in CA. But in Santa Cruz that's not enough, no no, you have to prove that you're "one of them" too. I called every dispensary in the city, Grandma Purps was the only one to kindly answer my questions and suggest solutions to my problem; the others were incredibly rude, and the rude little fellow at Greenway even told me that it was CA STATE LAW that I needed an ID Issued by CA DMV. HE LIED! He cannot possibly be stupid enough to think it is state law, the ******* bold-faced lied to me. I asked in SF about this law and not one of the seven individual bud-tenders and other various dispensary/collective employees I spoke to had any idea it was a law anywhere in CA much less state wide. I doubt it's even a law, probably just a "store policy" and a reflection of the attitude of the population here.

This is likely my final post here, so don't bother flaming back. I have found a place to live that is, although not far geographically, a world apart from SC.

I'll be leaving this place soon, and not coming back. Unless of course I get an urge to buy heroin.

Last edited by dutch420; 11-17-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch420 View Post
JaiJai, you are right, attitudinal is a word. However, you used it incorrectly. One cannot be attitudinal; however, one's words can be when they relate to, are based on, or express an attitude. For example: I am not attitudinal, but my words are.

No I have not read your other posts, in this thread or elsewhere, nor was I really directing any of my criticisms of santa cruz and the "yuppie-hippie-whatevers" at any specific forum poster.

It may have been you, Jai Jai, who posted about yuppies being everywhere or these complaints being pretty standard for anywhere or something along those lines; and I'd like to agree with you on that, to a degree. There are quite alot of pompous pretentious and irritating people everywhere. However in most places these people are pretty easy to spot. They drive mercs, beamers, audis, and lexi and stand out like sore thumbs, just the way they like it. Being as easy to spot as they are they're easy to keep out of my life. I don't speak to them and avoid them at all costs in my daily life. My problem is when they masquerade as people of progressive thought who call themselves good, conscientious people yet they post things such as:

PS. I never called myself an OG Hippie, I'm in my early twenties and missed that era by a few decades. However I'd rather never speak another word as long as I live than be caught saying something as elitist and disgusting as that. You sir, bigdumbgod, are exactly what is wrong with this place. In fact I bet you're the kind of elitist pig that mutters under his breathe when he passes a homeless person "my god get a job bum." I'd rather be associated with the hobo than with you buddy.

As my final complaint I will point out that in Santa Cruz, at least the city but probably the country, in order to enter a cannabis dispensary you MUST have a CALIFORNIA ISSUED identification. They will not under any circumstances accept one from out of state. I was even shouted at by one dispensary worker over the phone. He told me that instead of trying to scam them into giving me weed while I'm on vacation I should consider actually moving here and getting a license. So I drove to San Francisco, where they took my card at the door and let me in without asking to even see an ID! I also, while there, joined a nearby collective. Being a collective they require you to be a member in order to purchase cannabis. I was able to join without any problem as both my driver's license and medical marijuana recommendation/card are verifiable and authentic; I had given them rock-solid legal proof that I am who I claim to be and have the requisite permissions to purchase cannabis in CA. But in Santa Cruz that's not enough, no no, you have to prove that you're "one of them" too. I called every dispensary in the city, Grandma Purps was the only one to kindly answer my questions and suggest solutions to my problem; the others were incredibly rude, and the rude little fellow at Greenway even told me that it was CA STATE LAW that I needed an ID Issued by CA DMV. HE LIED! He cannot possibly be stupid enough to think it is state law, the ******* bold-faced lied to me. I asked in SF about this law and not one of the seven individual bud-tenders and other various dispensary/collective employees I spoke to had any idea it was a law anywhere in CA much less state wide. I doubt it's even a law, probably just a "store policy" and a reflection of the attitude of the population here.

This is likely my final post here, so don't bother flaming back. I have found a place to live that is, although not far geographically, a world apart from SC.

I'll be leaving this place soon, and not coming back. Unless of course I get an urge to buy heroin.
It's quite possible that i used the word incorrectly but it sounded good to me.
And i'm right with you regarding folks who are poseurs and i know that S.C. is full of them.
But i see them for who they are, i know they aren't people who i care to deal with and that's that.
And i'm pretty sure you're perception of bigdumbgood is inaccurate.
And geez, maybe the attitude you're getting from people has to do with you.
And in the collectives, it doesn't have anything to do with being "one of them".
You just need to provide your m.m. license and an i.d..
Big deal! Do you realize how fortunate you are .... how privileged you are ... to be able to get your m.j. at a collective?
Don't be a brat about it.
And don't take it for granted. It could disappear in a heart beat if the powers that be will it so.
And the collective that i go to is extremely friendly and warm and i'm not "one of them" ... whatever that means.
I'm just open and friendly and i'm met with the same.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM

178 posts, read 332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbitybibbity View Post
I just rented a place: far from Santa Cruz and in a town where most everyone is truly laid back, friendly, open-minded, helpful and down-to-earth. Issue is fixed for me.

"I lived on the East coast hated it!" Sounds like bashing to me. But then most Santa Cruzites consider their own actions and attitudes justified, while vilifying the very same actions in others. Unconscious hypocrisy is part of the essence of all Yuppies.
No it is called an opinion. And no I never opened a thread about to openly complain about it and try to get others to join in the bash party.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
No it is called an opinion. And no I never opened a thread about to openly complain about it and try to get others to join in the bash party.

Another hypocritical statement that supports my point about the attitude of the majority of Santa Cruz residents. My posts are "Bashing", but yours are "expressing your opinion". In other words, if you do it it's acceptable behavior, if someone else does it they are out of line.

Reminds me of a story: 3 guys all live next to each other and all have dogs. The dogs all run together and dig in the flower beds around the neighborhood. One neighbor is talking to his friend next door. He says "You know it's kinda cute when my pooch digs up the flowers. I gotta say though, it's a bit annoying sometimes when your dog does it". "I suppose" sighs the other guy, "but we both agree that when HIS dog (pointing at the third neighbor's house) does it, it's a crime and the dog should be shot".

I'm pretty sure Kahlil Gibran said something similar. Worded it differently though...

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's quite possible that i used the word incorrectly but it sounded good to me.
And i'm right with you regarding folks who are poseurs and i know that S.C. is full of them.
But i see them for who they are, i know they aren't people who i care to deal with and that's that.
And i'm pretty sure you're perception of bigdumbgood is inaccurate.
And geez, maybe the attitude you're getting from people has to do with you.
And in the collectives, it doesn't have anything to do with being "one of them".
You just need to provide your m.m. license and an i.d..
Big deal! Do you realize how fortunate you are .... how privileged you are ... to be able to get your m.j. at a collective?
Don't be a brat about it.
And don't take it for granted. It could disappear in a heart beat if the powers that be will it so.
And the collective that i go to is extremely friendly and warm and i'm not "one of them" ... whatever that means.
I'm just open and friendly and i'm met with the same.
And yet another bit of proof: "Do you realize how fortunate you are .... how privileged you are ... to be able to get your m.j. at a collective?".

If Santa Cruz dispensaries lie and require needless paperwork that SF dispensaries do not, I fail to see the "privilege" there. Are you saying that getting into a Santa Cruz dispensary is for the privileged, but getting into others is for the unwashed commoners? I'm willing to bet there is more wealth in many single blocks of SF and Silicon Valley than in the entire "city" of Santa Cruz. Yet their dispensaries accept the state laws and operate within them.

Seems like the privilege was in SF by not having to jump through hoops for some power-tripping yuppie.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
And yet another bit of proof: "Do you realize how fortunate you are .... how privileged you are ... to be able to get your m.j. at a collective?".

If Santa Cruz dispensaries lie and require needless paperwork that SF dispensaries do not, I fail to see the "privilege" there. Are you saying that getting into a Santa Cruz dispensary is for the privileged, but getting into others is for the unwashed commoners? I'm willing to bet there is more wealth in many single blocks of SF and Silicon Valley than in the entire "city" of Santa Cruz. Yet their dispensaries accept the state laws and operate within them.

Seems like the privilege was in SF by not having to jump through hoops for some power-tripping yuppie.
Oh my god!
You are so defensive and closed.
Proof of what?! What are you talking about?
You use every response to support your mind-set (and man is your mind set!) but you're not even reading or comprehending what's being said.
No i was not saying "getting into a Santa Cruz dispensary is for the privileged, but getting into others is for the unwashed commoners?"
How the h*** did you even come up with that?
I feel fortunate that i can get my m.j. at a collective.
Most people in this country cannot buy and smoke legally!!!
And yeah, i consider it a privilege.
And i have never had to supply any "needless paperwork" at the collective that i go to.
The first time i went, i gave them my m.m. license and showed them my drivers license ... not that difficult.
And the way things are going down with the feds and medical marijuana in California, if the collectives aren't really careful now about "towing the line" they'll be in even more peril.

Last edited by jaijai; 11-17-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Quote:
I came to CA for a number of reasons; one of which was the reputation CA has for being "laid back" and open-minded. Then I reached Santa Cruz. I've lived in some of the snobbiest towns in the country, but Santa Cruz has them all beat - hands down! Almost every person I've met in Santa Cruz has been a wannabe Yuppie with an "I cr@p gold and pee rose water because I live in Santa Cruz" attitude. It's amazing! The town has the worst heroin problem in the entire state of CA, parents teach their kids not wear any clothes that have colors associated with the local gangs, homelessness is rampant, and these people think they have a nice town?

What is THAT all about? I come from the East Coast, and I can tell you that out there people with real money drive their cars for 10 years, wear Levis and flannel shirts, and treat most everyone with respect. In Santa Cruz, if you aren't wearing designer labels and driving a European car you get that "I'm better than you" attitude all the time. It's sickening.

Once you leave Santa Cruz and go 10 miles inland, the people are awesome. Friendly, helpful, nice, decent and caring. Yet the Santa Cruzites consider them Trailer Trash because they drive pickups and wear off-the-rack common brand clothes.

The irony is that if you were on fire, a Santa Cruz dweller would complain about the smoke; while the "Trailer Trash" inland would jump in to help you out in a heartbeat.

Santa Cruz doesn't STILL suck, it sucks worse than ever! The only reason I would ever go back is - well, I wouldn't. I'd drive 100 miles through the back roads to avoid the place if I had to travel up or down the coast for any reason.
I also heard there were a lot of vampires up there.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Oh my god!
You are so defensive and closed.
Proof of what?! What are you talking about?
You use every response to support your mind-set (and man is your mind set!) but you're not even reading or comprehending what's being said.
No i was not saying "getting into a Santa Cruz dispensary is for the privileged, but getting into others is for the unwashed commoners?"
How the h*** did you even come up with that?
I feel fortunate that i can get my m.j. at a collective.
Most people in this country cannot buy and smoke legally!!!
And yeah, i consider it a privilege.
And i have never had to supply any "needless paperwork" at the collective that i go to.
The first time i went, i gave them my m.m. license and showed them my drivers license ... not that difficult.
And the way things are going down with the feds and medical marijuana in California, if the collectives aren't really careful now about "towing the line" they'll be in even more peril.

I'M defensive and closed? I simply posed a question: asking for clarification about what you meant and postulating a possible interpretation. Yet you seem to take it as an accusation rather than a question. THAT seems "defensive and closed" to me.

It was never meant as an accusation towards you personally, but an accusation towards the average mindset of Santa Cruz city dwellers. Didn't mean to flame you personally and I apologize if it came across that way. You sound like one of the few Santa Cruzites with intelligence, insight and an open mind.

As far as "getting into a Santa Cruz dispensary is for the privileged, but getting into others is for the unwashed commoners?"? Just interpreting the data: Santa Cruz dispensaries DO require needless IDs that other towns don't, and they lie to customers by saying it's a state law. Considering the "we are better than other people" attitudes, the postulation seems logical.

You are absolutely right about the ability to get medical pot being one of the great things about CA. I know very well how many kids lives and dreams of college have been trashed by getting busted with as little as a joint's worth. If it were up to me, it would be as legal as alcohol.

FYI - NORML has just filed suit against the DEA and the feds for targeting CA collective growers. The DEA allows Colorado free reign, but starts busting down doors of medical users in CA with indoor gardens? That's a clear implementation of a policy of discrimination - treating one state differently than other states.

More and more states (ones that do not allow medical pot use yet) are making possession of small amounts of pot a simple ticket, much like a parking ticket. No arrest, no record; just a fine.

The country is slowly moving towards ending the prohibition on pot, it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile I can get my very much needed medical pot here in CA. But I'll do so at dispensaries that are honest about their policies and abide by the laws of CA.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Thank you for the post.
You and i needn't be at odds.
I'm truly aware of the shadow side of Santa Cruz.
My struggle has been with housing. (everything else besides housing is easy for me to ignore)
Not only is it outrageously expensive to live in the county but i've dealt with some of the worst landlords / homeowners .... like people living on a 3 million $ property and providing a "cottage" (more like a shack) that's sub-standard and way over priced.
I've actually considered other coastal communities but i'm not sure where to go.
Where did you finally end up?

I personally haven't had any difficulties with the collective that i go to but i only go to one and haven't dealt with any others.
Good for NORML. It'll be interesting to see how that law suit unfolds.
peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose