U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,831,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
you really have to drive over the hill to find a decent mall like the Valley Fair Mall or into Watsonville or Marina to buy anything that is sold at a discount such as in Target or Walmart.
The absence of these set SC apart from the rest, and residents live there, in part, because of this difference. Go just about anywhere in the country and you'll see the sad, grotesque rampant homogenization malls, Walmarts, McDonald's, Starbuck's etc. have done to small towns. All look the same. Nothing like they used to. Good on SC for defying that. Cuz it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 AM

5 posts, read 5,849 times
Most friendly cityhas got to be Oakland or San Francisco. Palo Alto is good too.
There's enough diversity there that people dont look at you like you're from Mars if you dont look like them.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,739,493 times
Santa Cruz is a nice place to visit but not to live.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 7,091,257 times
This thread is unusually entertaining listening to the various takes on Santa Cruz. I think we can see even from this limited exchange of opinions/views that most ppl either really like SC or don't.

However that being said I think I fall somewhere in between, neither love nor hate it. I think SC has some good points and bad points like anywhere really. It has very unique and cool aspects like the beauty of the place, the SC mountains with redwoods right behind the coast. The surfing is great if one is into that. Though the ocean gets crowded and sometimes a bit territorial. This is typical of most good surf spots, nothing too unusual. My beach, my waves, go home! This is more symptomatic of the surf culture which can be a bit adolocent self-centered, self-absorbed at times. That said I've surfed Santa Cruz quite a bit through the years without any real problems. You just have to be aware you're riding in someone else's backyard. But yeah, if you're looking for attitude toward outsiders you'll find some.

And sure the homeless problems exists and with the economy may be growing. Does the local liberal politics of the area enable/encourage it vs. working to find ways to integrate ppl back into society (working again, paying taxes, renting, etc...)? Handout vs. handup? Maybe. Yet this can be said for many cities across the US.

Traffic's gotten quite a bit worse over the years. So I understand where some of the locals are coming from. Housing costs are outrageous for the very limited job market, unless one rides over the hill every day for work = not a very appealing commute. Shopping, well, that could go either way. I like to shop at the larger stores simetimes like REI or Walmart. But SC does have stores such as Costco, BestBuy, etc... So it's not just the local, overpriced hippie, boutique shops.

Like anywhere you ethier take the good with the bad and accept it or move on. We prefer Monterey, but have friends who have lived in SC for years and love living there with thier family. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe the OP would be happier in SJ, SF or NYC. Just keep in mind that **every place** has it problems or underbelly. You just have to be willing to accept them and then enjoy the better qualities. If you can't then obviously its time to go.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-10-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 PM

14,583 posts, read 12,528,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The absence of these set SC apart from the rest, and residents live there, in part, because of this difference. Go just about anywhere in the country and you'll see the sad, grotesque rampant homogenization malls, Walmarts, McDonald's, Starbuck's etc. have done to small towns. All look the same. Nothing like they used to. Good on SC for defying that. Cuz it sucks.

I have to say I like visiting Santa Cruz, but I tend to think I'd agree with the OPs assessment if I lived there. I get the vibe that it's full of liberals who are not very tolerant of people who have more conservative points of view (I admit I could be wrong since I've never lived there).

That said, I think the Santa Cruz folks have a point in not wanting Wal Mart & other big box stores in their city. Every city in the US and around the world is starting to look more and more the same. Not a positive trend, IMO.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM

20,756 posts, read 13,534,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This thread is unusually entertaining listening to the various takes on Santa Cruz. I think we can see even from this limited exchange of opinions/views that most ppl either really like SC or don't.

However that being said I think I fall somewhere in between, neither love nor hate it. I think SC has some good points and bad points like anywhere really. It has very unique and cool aspects like the beauty of the place, the SC mountains with redwoods right behind the coast. The surfing is great if one is into that. Though the ocean gets crowded and sometimes a bit territorial. This is typical of most good surf spots, nothing too unusual. My beach, my waves, go home! This is more symptomatic of the surf culture which can be a bit adolocent self-centered, self-absorbed at times. That said I've surfed Santa Cruz quite a bit through the years without any real problems. You just have to be aware you're riding in someone else's backyard. But yeah, if you're looking for attitude toward outsiders you'll find some.

And sure the homeless problems exists and with the economy may be growing. Does the local liberal politics of the area enable/encourage it vs. working to find ways to integrate ppl back into society (working again, paying taxes, renting, etc...)? Handout vs. handup? Maybe. Yet this can be said for many cities across the US.

Traffic's gotten quite a bit worse over the years. So I understand where some of the locals are coming from. Housing costs are outrageous for the very limited job market, unless one rides over the hill every day for work = not a very appealing commute. Shopping, well, that could go either way. I like to shop at the larger stores simetimes like REI or Walmart. But SC does have stores such as Costco, BestBuy, etc... So it's not just the local, overpriced hippie, boutique shops.

Like anywhere you ethier take the good with the bad and accept it or move on. We prefer Monterey, but have friends who have lived in SC for years and love living there with thier family. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe the OP would be happier in SJ, SF or NYC. Just keep in mind that **every place** has it problems or underbelly. You just have to be willing to accept them and then enjoy the better qualities. If you can't then obviously its time to go.

Derek
Best post on this thread. Thanks Derek. Got any good Santa Cruz Pics?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Best post on this thread. Thanks Derek. Got any good Santa Cruz Pics?
Haha,

You know me, of course.

SC has a lot of beauty. My favorite part to visit is the country just to the north of town (Davenport) along with the SC mountains.

Derek

Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM

239 posts, read 263,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
LOL at your description of the person backing away, trembling. I also thought those examples were just over-the-top, who acts like that? I didn't know Hawaiians or Japanese people were suffering mass discrimination in Santa Cruz!
I never said the person was trembling.That was another posters comment and a rude one at that. The professor simply looked shocked, backed up, turned around and walked away and never spoke to her again. He had been very friendly and spoke to her often before that. But, once he found out she was part Japanese he avoided her. I wouldn't have expected that from a professor and at the college where she also worked, but it can sometimes be surprising who is a bigot.

And you ask who acts like that...racists, that is who acts like that. It may seem over the top because it is, but it's also exactly what happened.

Just because you are not aware of the discrimination others are suffering doesn't mean it isn't happening. And yes, it's happening in Santa Cruz.

Last edited by isabella20; 04-11-2011 at 01:17 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 AM

239 posts, read 263,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_travelbug_X View Post
This actually made me laugh.
Well, it isn't funny. Try living it and I'm sure you wouldn't be so glib. Being the target of bigotry isn't funny.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
Well, it isn't funny. Try living it and I'm sure you wouldn't be so glib. Being the target of bigotry isn't funny.
Even bizzare sounding cases like the ones you've mentioned can really happen anywhere. Sometimes it has to do with one's own perception - overly race sensitive or reading too much into things vs. the reality of a given situation. Other times it's blatant. But even so a few outlying cases cannot paint an entire area as racist.

You mentioned discrimination against Hawaiians. Well, take Hawaiian culture for example. There is a hightened awareness or social class breakdown based on one's own race. So what are you anyway? Japanese, Filipino, Chinese, Haole (White person), Mexican, etc... That can be a typical question there. It is pretty common knowledge for anyone who has lived there and is not Hawaiian. Does that make all Hawaii racist and therefore a terrible place to live, work, visit, etc...? Is Santa Cruz really any better or worse than that or any other city in the US for that matter?

This isn't to say any form of discrimination or racism is good. But the reality is this can exist just about anywhere because ppl are free to come and go in America from many states, countries, backgrounds and environments. And these ppl can and do bring with them many prejudices, biases, deviant behaviors, and poor social skills.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-11-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose