Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood View Post
A lot of "hippies" from San Francisco relocated to Santa Cruz. The Grateful Dead praised Santa Cruz and even recorded an album in the SC Mountains. This was the beginning of the end of Santa Cruz.

Ah, now it is clear. Those who would adopt a Cartman outlook will abhor all that is Santa Cruz, which makes it curious why one with such a view would set foot there in the first place, let alone stay at length. And let's not even get into those degenerates wasting their lives riding those plasticy things out there on the waves! Insolence! Depravity! Ganja!

For the Charlie Sheen-encoded OP: SF is arguably more F'd up for all the same reasons you've outlined concerning SC, except x10, at least.

Keep Santa Cruz Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
The only problem I can see with Santa Cruz is that the few families in power all own stores in the downtown area and they deny any new shopping. That is why you really have to drive over the hill to find a decent mall like the Valley Fair Mall or into Watsonville or Marina to buy anything that is sold at a discount such as in Target or Walmart. These stores and malls have all been denied by the few people who are on "the board" & have been for decades. That is why the city is broke; they refuse to allow decent restaurants (not owned by "them") or everyday stores.

The downtown area is nice to shop in for tourists maybe, but you can not buy anything that you need for a household there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,562 times
Quote:
Well....I've spent the last two years in the "great" City of Santa Cruz for school (From the East Coast).
I stopped reading right there.

"From the East Coast" = I'm going to bash CA.

That simple.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
all the damn vampires

Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM

130 posts, read 902,652 times
I think that many people come to Santa Cruz and have expectations of it being a California sunny, surf, paradisiacal beach town.
And while it can be that, it's not just that.
There are enough freaks, "wandering souls", indigent, homeless, strung out, etc. people to make some feel quite uncomfortable.
Well tough luck.
Despite all of its problems (and what city, large or small, doesn't have problems?) S.C. county is a place where, generally speaking, there's tolerance for all sorts of human expression / manifestation and people who aren't mainstream (and don't want to be or can't be) can still, despite the influence of the friggin dominant culture, feel just free enough to be themselves.
So come as you are and be who you are regardless of your religion, race, background, socio-economic "status" , gender, sexual orientation, political affiliation, etc., etc., but just be tolerant.
That live and let live attitude is what makes a place, imo, good.
And that's one of the many reasons why i (and many others) like Santa Cruz and S.C. county.
If it's not your cup of tea, move on.
There's no reason, if you're able to move, to stay in a place that you don't like.
But just remember, "no matter where you go, there you are".

Last edited by tireeskye; 04-07-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 AM

239 posts, read 520,561 times
Quote:
There is also a very weird approach to other races and cultures in this city. On the East Coast, we had neighborhoods that were very diverse. I don't think Santa Cruz locals are racists, but they aren't very fond of other races because they don't know about them. I was just talking a local female the other night who said she didn't hate African Americans but she wasn't very welcoming of them either because they're a "A mystery in Santa Cruz". This is coming from a woman who's family has lived in Santa Cruz for generations. Obviously, you hear a lot of jokes towards Latino's as well but I assume that's simply a 'California' thing. I'm an Eastern European guy who encourages and appreciates diversity in our community, but I don't get that vibe in Santa Cruz. For a city that's supposed to be so open minded, it's really closed minded towards anyone that's not white.
You nailed it. The only thing I would go a bit further with is that I think they are racist. We are a multiracial family and have a very different experience and therefore opinion than the white person who says that this is a very tolerant area and that race isn't an issue here. How would they know. It's not an issue for them. I could write for pages and pages telling you about our experiences. I'm the white one in our family and when we compare notes it's a very different world for the rest of my family. I can tell you that a lot of people in Santa Cruz hate Hawaiians, even more hate Japanese. These are not uneducated knuckle draggers I'm talking about. For instance, a dentist refused service once he found out a family member was part Hawaiian. A professor backed away slowly and never spoke to another family member once he found out she was part Japanese. Another multiracial member of our family was asked daily "what are you". In the sixties it was worse in Santa Cruz. Then they would attack Japanese physically. Many Japanese know not to live here and live in San Jose where Asians are more accepted.

Aside from the race issue, there is an aggressive mean personality to the place. I've lived all over California and it's really different here. I live here because I like the weather and just ignore the jerks and enjoy the people who are nice. There are nice people everywhere, even here. But, in general I'd describe the place as very beautiful with nice weather and not so great people. And I'm really happy here. Not angry at all. Just being truthful about our experiences and how I find things.

People are saying that the OP is angry and I don't see it. Again, I think he's just sincerely describing what he sees and experiences. When he's met with aggressive responses from locals that just proves his point.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM

130 posts, read 902,652 times
Everyone has their own experiences and their own perceptions.
"Reality" is usually rather subjective.
I can only speak from my own experiences and from the experiences of others that i know.
I've lived in many places.
It's my experience that S.C. is very tolerant place ... not a warm and fuzzy place but a tolerant one.

And, i'm sorry, but your stories about the dentist refusing to treat someone because they were part Hawaiinn (c'mon now) and a professor backing away slowly (was he trembling too? ) and never speaking to another family member once he found out she was part Japanese do not have the ring of truth / objectivity.

Well, i will definitely bow out of this thread before i get blasted for saying that someone is being less than truthful and/or objective ... coward that i am.

peaceout

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
LOL at your description of the person backing away, trembling. I also thought those examples were just over-the-top, who acts like that? I didn't know Hawaiians or Japanese people were suffering mass discrimination in Santa Cruz!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 PM

115 posts, read 327,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
A professor backed away slowly and never spoke to another family member once he found out she was part Japanese. .
This actually made me laugh.

I live in Monterey Bay and love to take visitors to Santa Cruz when the are in town. My nephews love the roller coasters at the boardwalk.
IMHO, I think it is GREAT there are no Walmarts or Target.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
I am only an occasional visitor to Santa Cruz but my experiences have been enjoyable. It is a city full of life with some kookballs thrown in. It has character. I can't say what it is like to live there, I have not had that opportunity. I do like to visit Santa Cruz though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose