Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to San Jose (and California) last year for a new job. Thus far, the work part of my life has been fantastic... but outside of work, frankly I'm getting bored. I've done all the first time visitor / touristy things around the bay area, and I'm running out of ideas for interesting activities to engage in.

I'm not the hyper social animal type, so I'm not just looking for exciting nightlife activities, one-off big events, etc. What I'm really yearning for are some engaging and meaningful leisure/social/volunteer activities that I can potentially build into my regular routine as I settle down long term in this place. Basically, what do other people here do to feel engaged and connected?

If it helps, I'm a single (but dating) 30 year old male currently working as a software engineer and living alone in north San Jose. But I'm sure lots of other people would benefit from any ideas you may have to offer, so please don't limit your suggestions to my specific life situation.

Thanks in advance,

ML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM

115 posts, read 327,080 times
You said it in your question, volunteer. This website might help you:
VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

Take classes in hobbies that you like or Join an exercise class.

Join a local team Dynamic Sport and Social Club | Home

Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Learn how to use Pro Tools and record bands.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
no, you're bored in north San Jose

Old 04-18-2011, 12:01 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
You have one of the best sources for finding things to do right in front of you. Your computer.

It's tough making a new life in a new place, especially when work takes up so much of your time.

What are your likes and dislikes? Do you play a musical instrument? Maybe, look for a group of amateurs that you can hang with. Are you an avid collector of anything or have something in mind, like rock specimens? (just an example). There are groups that do that sort of thing.

If you are interested in volunteering somewhere, it's wide open for you there, too. There are plenty of organizations looking for people who want to help, even if it's only a few hours a week. The library has an excellent literary program and there are plenty of people who would love to learn how to read. Teach them.

Start your search online. Ask people at work. Just don't look for fulfilling adventure at the local pub. That's the last place you'll find it.

All the best in your search.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightLight42 View Post
Hi all,

I moved to San Jose (and California) last year for a new job. Thus far, the work part of my life has been fantastic... but outside of work, frankly I'm getting bored. I've done all the first time visitor / touristy things around the bay area, and I'm running out of ideas for interesting activities to engage in.

I'm not the hyper social animal type, so I'm not just looking for exciting nightlife activities, one-off big events, etc. What I'm really yearning for are some engaging and meaningful leisure/social/volunteer activities that I can potentially build into my regular routine as I settle down long term in this place. Basically, what do other people here do to feel engaged and connected?

If it helps, I'm a single (but dating) 30 year old male currently working as a software engineer and living alone in north San Jose. But I'm sure lots of other people would benefit from any ideas you may have to offer, so please don't limit your suggestions to my specific life situation.

Thanks in advance,

ML
Find a good martial arts class, say in tae kwon do. Find one where both men and women participate, and is somewhat serious. You will meet some incredible people and get in shape at the same time. Here is an excellent school that I would recommend.

Mountain View School of Taekwondo

Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM

160 posts, read 454,527 times
I highly recommend Toast Masters. It's full of other people wanting to step up their game and you'll grow a lot. Twin Creeks baseball leagues in Sunnyvale - male bonding :-). Second Harvest Food bank - gratitude comes quick. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup

Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Look at that! More really great suggestions!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM

157 posts, read 504,775 times
There is always my favorite activity, sleep, sleep, and more sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose