U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 PM

59 posts, read 73,146 times
First let me say, I lived in NYC, and been to NJ, I think you will find life in Silicon Valley a lot more comfortable, so if you can move, do it.

Now, it's true that housing market is more expensive in the areas with good schools like Cupertino, Palo Alto, etc., due to high demand. But maybe you don't need good local schools after all. Check California Virtual Academies (CAVA). I know first-hand it's a high quality alternative, especially for gifted children. There are probably other accredited schools for remote learning, there are also schools that support home studies and provide materials, exams, and keep all paperwork. When you don't care about school district you will be able to find a decent 1500-1700 sq ft house for $750k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 15 days ago)

48,993 posts, read 40,425,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2CA View Post
Both my wife and I are technology professionals with 18+ yrs exp, and feel that tech is drying out fast in NJ (based on #startups, #active_companies etc.). My last salary in NJ to what I negotiated in SJ hasn't changed by more than 10% (poor neg?). Live in NJ with 2 elem school kids in a great neighborhood w/excellent schools, beautiful big house.

I do have opportunities in NJ as well, but am wondering if I should take the one in SJ (company pays partly for relo) for future prospects being next to innovations & startups. Wife will need to find an opportunity as well.

Any advice? Priorities are kids schools and good neighborhood. Wondering about the following:

a. Is the cost of living incl. housing so high that we will pretty much be working like crazy to pay the mortgage (or rent if we can't sell the house in NJ that will be disaster as we think), and one loss of job will put us at huge risk?

b. Quality of schools and neighborhood (in areas 3BR@ around 750K) compared to (among the) best in NJ? What areas should we look at?

c. What are you in SJ and surrounding areas feel about the life in SJ that you can recommend one way or another?

Thanks a lot!
Of course there are positives and negatives: the positive is the weather unless you will miss the 4 seasons (which you will not get in San Jose) the excitement for something new and perhaps a good job future (that is always a question mark) The negatives, any home you will find in your housing budget range with top schools will probably shock you. Houses in California are and have always been, much smaller per $ than other places in the country. The lot size will most likely also be small compared to what you are accustom to having. You also might have to consider charter or private schools for the kids, but again, that depends on where you end of living in the San Jose area.

NIta

Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 15 days ago)

48,993 posts, read 40,425,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
you can get in a good school district for 750k but your house won't be big.
5083 Noella Way, San Jose CA | MLS# 81115075 - Trulia

San Jose has some of the best weather in the country in my opinion.
Also notice the size of the lot? The house is cute though.

Nita

Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 AM

160 posts, read 229,460 times
West San Jose schools are good - as well as the schools in Almaden or Willow Glen or Campbell. If you really want a cool school environment, I think the 1 room schoolhouse on Summit is still turning out awesome kids[but then you have to negotiate the hill].

I have Dallas clients that bought in the Los Gatos Mountains and love it but were not thrilled with the schools [their kids are middle school age now].

I really don't see any reason to move to Cupertino just for the schools. These schools are mostly asian and UBER competitive. I want my kid to be smart but I want my kid to be able to relate to the kids around him too [even though those years are long past for my 29 year old :-)]

I have also had clients that move to the edges of Willow Glen - so they have great neighbors and feels like a neighborhood - and then enrolled their over achievers into Valley Christian. I even had a client lean toward Pioneer High School for their Cisco router training.

I think you just make the most of what you got. $750K goes a long way these days - relative to 5 years ago - and this is where the creativity and innovation comes from.

There's a nicely redone home in Willow Glen on Phantom - I just saw last week - it's 3/3 over 1700sf with a pool for $750K.

It's totally doable. Enjoy your move and trust that it's all going to work out.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM

167 posts, read 126,316 times
There's a lot of good places around San Jose and surrounding cities. You could consider commuting into San Jose from Pleasanton which I've heard is a good town to live in.(not sure about the housing prices there) The commute would be bad though.

Fremont is also a nice place. But the area zoned to Mission San Jose High School is filled with overcompeting kids and parents.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 7,405 times
Thanks a lot for some great advice. We are going to start with renting in a place with good schools and hopefully will see some short to medium term upside in the income to buy a house in the same area within the year.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM

167 posts, read 126,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2CA View Post
Thanks a lot for some great advice. We are going to start with renting in a place with good schools and hopefully will see some short to medium term upside in the income to buy a house in the same area within the year.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose